Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good performance today albeit we didn't beat much, Laois weren't very good. Play was a good mix of the running game, diagonal passes and long punts down the pitch, there is a few too many diagonal passes where it's fairly clear that the players aren't looking where they are hitting the pass as there's either a 2 on 1 or nobody there. But it's an improvement on the aimless high passing that plagued our play the ladt few years.

Billy Ryan and Tom Phelan did very well and Tom Phelan took his goals very nicely. Alan Murphy did a good job from the frees and in open play. Cian Kenny looks very promising as a playmaker midfielder, needs to work on his shooting tho. Deegan did fine as centre back and Blanchfield won a fine amount of ball and was always available for the pass. Brassil was the only really poor performance, 2nd to the ball most of the 1st half and was rightfully subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

Looking at the Kilkenny team yesterday it does not look the youngest we have ever produced. Great to see Kenny and Blanchfiled nail down positions but not many others under 23.

This years under 20 is a massive competition for Kilkenny hurling, backboned by 2 teams bet in All Ireland Minor finals. We desperately need a good run in this competition this year. The u20 management need to get this group over the line after a few dismal years in that grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Didn't make it to the game yesterday and it was a pity there was no highlights of it on the League Sunday. Nice to see Tom Phelan doing well. He has a lovely touch and nice direct hurling, he's a bit slight is all.

It's gonna be a tough battle in Parnell Park next weekend against the Dubs. They deserved the win against Tipp, even if Tipp weren't brilliant, having said that Tipp bet us not playing great either.

Tom Phelan has always been a very good athlete. Why has it took until he is 27 years old to be called in. Why was he not brought in 5/6/7 years ago and provided with the expert coaching, S&C, diet that is now needed to excel at the highest level. This is the same with 5/6 lads called in recently. I do not understand Kilkenny's plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I have to say it was the most underwhelming 17 point victories I've ever seen. We really struggled to impress in most places on the field and while we continued the short passing for the whole game this time it was really because Laois brought very little pressure at any point. Tom Phelan played well as did Blanchfield and I actually thought Brassil was going ok his side was targeted a lot and he tried to bring ball forward and create chances. Billy Ryan was good too and Mossy and Wally battled hard but beyond that no-one stood out much. Heary did well while he was on and I was sorry to see him going off. I hear we have a plague of hamstring and calf injuries currently.

Heard Dean Mason, Ronan Corcoran and Brian Cody were all called in. However Ronan Corcoran who had accepted and was going in has changed his mind after a conversation with Cody over timing due to his injury. I have heard a few other stories out of Ballyhale that would not inspire confidence in our illustrious leader and his style of managing lads after a long winter of a club campaign to a defeat.

Ciaran Wallace also left the panel due to what he deemed a lack of respect and communication on the part of the management (I don't disagree with him).

Cody is firmly stuck in the past and guys I thought would never question Cody, are openly saying his time is up.

I hope they do well against Dublin but I have my doubts but we'll see on Saturday.

• Advertisement

The day Cody goes will be a great day for Kilkenny hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You were asked often enough to come up with names to replace all those players you wanted dropped. You never did and you certainly never mentioned Tom Phelan. I too would like to see a change in management but try to be constructive otherwise.

I mentioned it on many occasions and unfortunately it continues. It bugs me the way Cody ignores players leaving the pitch after been subbed. Surely the players deserve better after offering their services.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

Are Michael cody, Eoin O Shea and Eoin Guilfoyle still on the panel? All were part of it last year.

Also would like to see Evan shefflin and Niall Brennan brought into the squad if they are not in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'm not usually a doom and gloom merchant but is there an argument that this current kilkenny team is over achieving.. we don't have the marquee players that we once had..I do think cody should move on but won't be a magic fix..lads are being given 4/5 chances to claim a jersey and its all a bit like moving the deck chairs on the titanic ..to put it another way how many of the current kilkenny team would get onto the panel in other counties..I won't name name's but it's a short list I'd say if you think of the players limerick Waterford galway etc have at their disposal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Don't know how true it is but I was told at the weekend michael cody,eoin o shea and evan cody aren't on the panel. I know evan cody played last week but that's what I was told anyway. Alot of lads in trouble with hamstrings is it the training they're doing or just bad luck?niall brennan was involved with ul and played earlier in the year I hope he's still involved. Prenderville also in trouble with hamstring.Shane Walsh has an ankle injury. I do agree with the lads above it wasn't great yesterday but as we've seen week on week this league is very up and down.Galway were great last week but poor yesterday and the same with Waterford.Its hard to know what to make of it.if things are so doom and gloom I can't understand how lads like fogarty or Buckley keep coming back for more or even lads like John Walsh or Chris bolger coming back after being overlooked for years.while we were mixing things up yesterday its when the pressure comes on in the heat of battle will we know have we learnt from our mistakes.Two good tests coming up. So far you'd say cian kenny and blanchfield have done well and Tom phelan has being involved in the few goals we've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

A good observation. Imagine how big and strong Phelan would be if he was with Limerick.

He'd surely go from 5ft 10ins to 6ft 5ins at least!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Tom Phelan was in college in UCD from there he was in New Zealand for a stint with the course he was doing in college so that would have taken up a lot of his time he was in school with a relation of mine his age bracket would be twenty five twenty six.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Dissapointed to see Michael Cody not part of panel even though i was allowing it as he hadn't featured yet this year....Would have thought few years back he would have made a good Corner/Half Back, we are really lacking quality in corner back in my opinion granted Tommy Walsh has done relatively ok over last few years.....Hopefully the likes of Darren Mullen, Delaney, Conor Browne and Richie Leahy in particular can get some way right as he's running out of time in my opinon.....I'd expect to see maybe Richie Reid and Adrian Mullen feature next weekend, Hopefully Padraig Walsh also.

John Donnelly's form seems to be a concern also, seems to be lacking confidence big time at the moment, madness puttting him Midfield as most would have thought looking in from the outside, Billy Ryan looked very lively yesterday scored 0-4 yesterday could have gotten another few scores, seems to be coming into form now and hopefully hard ground that comes will improve him further.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I feel it is wrong to suggest we don’t have the players that Waterford and even Limerick have

Both those senior teams have been largely hewn out of just two good minor teams (one barely beat a very average Kilkenny team in semi in 2013 and the other was beaten in the following year’s final).

Our record at Minor and at Schools show we still produce good young hurlers, it's what is happening after that in Limerick and Waterford (and now Cork) that is making the difference.

Galway are in fact experiencing a lot of the same. Streets ahead of all Munster teams at Minor in 2018, but beaten out the gate by Cork in U20 final 3 years later.

Pres Athenry, laden with AI minor winners (2019 and 2020) well beaten by ASR Limerick tonight, with. ASR having lots of players whipped at all underage levels by Galway up along. But now as 18-19 years olds, they appear to have already closed the gap

Cork, and Limerick and Waterford have serious set ups that make some good players great and some average players very good (Waterford had 4-5 players start an AI in 2020 who were barely average standard at 17-20 years old). Galway probably don’t. Kilkenny and Tipp definitely don’t. Wexford and Dublin don’t have enough really good raw material but are doing all the right things anyway. Clare have a good manager who will extract the very best from the hand he is dealt.

No disrespect to anyone involved, but that team that played Laois (or anything even resembling it), littered with has been’s and never will be’s, won’t get us out of Leinster round robin (which with Dublin and Wexford both now in good form is looking very dicey for us). In fact the best long term result for Kilkenny in 2022 might be that we flop fully. Another year where we dog it out and reach an AI semi and are beaten comfortably enough would be a disaster and lead to yet another Cody rubber stamping and another year of stagnation in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I agree with a lot of this but I don't think we can judge any Kilkenny player given our current setup and the standards that other teams have achieved. I think the fact we've managed to do so well the last few years winning Leinster and getting to AI Semi's is mainly down to the players and the quality of player we have in the county. If we had lesser hurlers we'd be a long way off.

I know that some of our ex backroom team believe that we could be a top one or two team in the country with the talent we have at the moment. The big issue they see is the coaching not being bought into be the whole management, lack of game plans and in-game management, player relationships and general atmosphere and a professional S&C setup. It could be turned around in as little as six months plus you would get the rejuvenation of players who look jaded mainly because they are after listening to the same voice for their whole career spouting the same message. Granted Cody gets savage commitment from them every day but that's not enough anymore he needs to help them develop not just sit back and wish and hope for it to happen.

Delaney,leahy and Darren mullen needed a clear run at things but unfortunately they've being cursed with injury. The championship is only 7 weeks away I know we've only laois and westmeath first but the 3 matches after that will be very serious.Conor browne hasn't being seen since the club semi final last year where he was severely hampered so he's also returning from a long lay off.These two matches will be great matches to get and he needs to start putting a stamp on the team for the championship. Huw and padriag should be back and I think we'll see Richie Reid given a shot at center back.Donnellys form is a concern and James bergin has slipped down the pecking order. I'm not convinced of the mossy experiment at 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

In truth there were 3 or 4 more goals for the taking for Kilkenny on Sunday as the Laois full back line was very weak. It was very hard to judge anything from the game and in particular the second half. Tom Phelan deserves credit for grasping his chance and making it hard to drop him the next day. The forward play was much improved as was the ball played into the forwards. The biggest concern for me was midfield. The biggest contrast with Antrim match was the lack of movement in midfield. Laois were conceding the puck out and neither midfielder was looking to take it from the corner backs. Deegan and Carey the previous game covered twice as much ground and linked the play much better. James Maher improved this in the second half. If we can find a centre back Deegan needs to go back to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Great to hear that all teams have been told refs intend clamping down big time on players throwing the ball. It is cheating, plain and simple and if they cannot eradicate it or it is too hard to police, then in my opinion the handpass should go entirely. Hurling is being made too easy already.

All teams are guilty at times of doing this, but Limerick and Cork are demons for it.

I listened to Cusack on Sat night on commentary in the Tipp v Dublin game whinging about refs pulling it up and he said, "I don't think throwing is a problem in hurling". FFS it is a major problem, only guys like Cusack who want to see hurling morph into some sort of hybrid of lacrosse and international handball would suggest throwing the ball isn’t a problem.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'd also go a step further and outlaw handpassing the ball if it's been handpicked to you.

Would be hard to see the skill outlawed completely but forcing more stick passes and less hand passes would have to be a positive IMHO.

Henry staying with Thomastown again this year.they really need to get over the line this year but they've seen the last few years easier said than done

Looking forward to the Dublin match Saturday. Matty kenny now in his 4th year has them playing like his cuala team a few years ago. Hayes is a handful at 14. Plenty of off the shoulder and coming in waves from midfield so that middle third will be crucial and we cant be lumping ball after ball on top of paddy Smyth.We need to start putting a stamp on the team and getting our spine right. We need to settle on a 6. We'll should have a few ballyhale lads back. The long injury list is a concern especially when they're all hamstring. Lads like delaney and leahy needed a good league under their belt before the championship.

I don't follow other county team selections that closely but wonder if Kilkenny have more injury issues than other counties. We do appear to have a substantial amount and you have to ask, why so? In addition, over the last few years we saw how the players ran out of steam in knock out matches. I hope it's not a case of further skimping by management/county board.

Who is over the fitness in Kilkenny ? This is amateur stuff to have so many of the same players out with the same injuries every year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Heard some very sad news there in the last few minutes concerning the passing of a sibling of a well known KK hurling figure, a man of 41 years of age.

I have no way of verifying it, so I will not name names and just say, very sad news if true, and may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Heard same rumour. Awful if true

rest in peace its very sad

It definitely puts things in perspective when you hear something like this happening.Someone young and active.

Just on the match tomor most of the ballyhale lads won't be back because alot of them have niggles they should be back for the Waterford match. Hopefully Padraig and huw will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

RIP to the man in question and thoughts with his family.

Team named with Deegan still centre back and Bucks in midfield. Nothing against the latter but surely his legs are gone for midfield unless you're giving him a very specific role to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Just heard the same..shocking..fine hurler in his own right too..knew him well in my youth ..condolences to all the family

Advertisement