Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Only thing showing on the live traffic data on google maps is the usual bottleneck at Claregalway. Granted it looks longer than usual, but still only looks to be about 2.5km. No issues showing up from Claregalway to Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Newstalk just said a queue of nearly 5km outbound on N83 near Claregalway. Maybe it's a crash or something

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Rural cycle ways... Come from the country, we used to call them roads, avoid the graas bit in the middle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

To be fair here, a lot of country roads are lethal to both cyclists and walkers. I'm thinking of the Kinvara road as an example off the top of my head. Years ago that road was absolutely lethal, very very narrow and cars/trucks/buses were all driving ~80km/h. Very few people risked going out on to it without a car. It's much better now that they did it up and made a segregated walkway/cycleway. It just looks a lot nicer now too, caters to all. I'm all for more of these type schemes, at the very least it means you can have a pint and cycle home and the kids have a bit of independence.

These are roads which the populations grew considerably over the last few decades... The roads weren't built for this type of traffic... gues who was in charge of planning and making sure these roads were wide enough? The County Executive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The cycle lane you use in your example there on the Kinvara road is a complete joke, starts in a random dangerous spot and spits you back onto the road in a dangerous spot a few minutes later, completely pointless waste of money.

It would be seriously brilliant if it went anywhere meaningful though, imagine being able to cycle around South Galway or out to the Burren or Cliffs of Moher on paths like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

In fairness it's better than not having it at all. But the fact that it hops from one side to the other at random shows how much of minor importance was accorded to the safety of those walking and cycling. Just to lessen the bends slightly for those driving........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

It’s definitely not complete in regards that it isn’t connecting fully into Kinvarra yet or to Kilcolgan but it is an incremental benefit. It’s good that when they do upgrade sections of the road they put these in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I don't know if it was the case here but I understand that in, some recent projects, adding cycleways and foot paths when roads were being upgraded/widened/straightened allowed the whole project to be funded from Active Travel funding rather than general roads funding.

Imagine how much better traffic would be if kids could cycle to school safely

• Advertisement

Agreed... How many Schools are on the Prom?

I said Dr Mannix Rd and Lower Salthill, link to Millers lane but the Cycling lobby wanted the Prom... This why I don't think they actually want increased cycling but just want to cycle where they cycle... It was a grab of the walkers and swimmers leisure activity for there leisure activity... Sorry that was a selfish move and rightly rejected...

Just to clarify, kids and adults cycling around Galway want safe infrastructure on all routes including the ones you list. It was Galway City Council that selected the Prom. Same as they selected the following as part of the Galway City Cycle Network

• Clybaun Rd
    • Ballyloughane Rd/Renmore Ave
    • Eglington Canal
    • Doughiska rd (south)
    • etc etc etc

You seem to think that nobody wants safe infrastructure on the roads you listed when that is simply not the case.

It should also be noted that the Dr Mannix Rd section you refer to is part of the proposed Secondary Network for bike infrastructure, see below. Further info can be found in appendix F to the GTS here

However, the extent of the work proposed is per the following

It carries on to say the following for this road "....on other roads on-street parking may need to be reduced in order to facilitate cycle lanes .eg. Dr. Mannix Rd." This is confusing because currently there is no on-street parking provided by GCC in this area. There is parking on the street (see images below) but that is not the same thing.

Also....

It'll be interesting to see how they are going to go about this as it looks like they want to retain "wider than normal" car lanes for some reason. The current setup looks like this. As it stands, there is about space for 4 lanes of cars

Once they get around to releasing plans for this route (the GTS was released in 2016 so I expect those plans to be released some time in the 2030's at this rate) I look forward to reviewing them and submitting feedback in the consultation as I hope you will too.

Consultation coming shortly for Ballybane Rd & Castlepark Rd for cycle network upgrades per the Chief Executive’s monthly management report from Jan 2022

Per the GCC Transport Dept quarterly report, the following projects are in various stages of development

Bus Connects

• Cross city link including the link route through the UHG grounds
    • Tuam Rd bus corridor including cycling infrastructure
    • Dublin rd bus corridor including cycling infrastructure
    • Western Distributor Rd including cycling infrastructure
    • 8 additional shelters being added in 2022
    • CSEA Consultants awarded the contract by NTA P&R Project office to identify sites for Park and ride for Galway city
    • Parkmore to Doughiska upgrades and bus lanes

Walking & Cycling (in addition to the above)

• Salmon Weir pedestrian & cyclist bridge (due for completion Q1 2023)
    • Non-statutory public consultation completed for Eglington Canal, Doughiska Road south, Cylban Road and Ballyloughnane Road
    • Galway - Dublin greenway
    • Galway to Clifden greenway
    • Wolfe Tone Bridge - Pedestrian Cantilever walkway
    • Clifden Railway Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge
    • Progress designs for School Zones/ Safe Routes to Schools at Scoil Iognáid, Scoil Bhríde, Radharc na Mara, St Joseph’s Special School, Galway Educate Together NS, and Scoil Chaitríona Junior and Senior.

Roads

• GCRR
    • Expansion of UTMC (Urban Traffic Management Center)
    • Parking management - awaiting outcome of DTTAS Demand Management Strategy before identifying on-street spaces for removal
    • Browne RAB removal progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Many of them could walk now, with no need for extra lanes, or tyre and brake maintenance, or for headlights + rear-reflectors. And no bicycle parking/security issues.

Wonder why they don't.

Galway has the highest % of people commuting by walking out of all 5 cities at 16.4%.

I posted about it only a few weeks ago, see below

Could always be higher and thats one of the objectives of the various active travel plans which aim to increase it by

• increasing permeability
    • adding more crossing points on roads
    • shorter durations at crossing points
    • extending footpath widths at bottlenecks
    • etc etc

Might start seeing things getting rolled out in stages rather than all at once if it will allow for improvements in active travel

Holy crap, its finally happening. The Connemara greenway is finally getting moving albeit just in terms of consultations. It'll likely be the mid-2030's before its fully built all the way to Clifden. Hope I'm wrong on that, though but given the slow pace so far......

The consultation is for the Galway - Oughterard section only

Info will be available on this website from Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

"there’s a broad range of consensus in addressing climate change, regeneration, public realm improvements, providing better pedestrian and cycling facilities at the high level, [but] when it comes to the implementation of these measures, it can be highly contentious and [result in] significant push back from sections of the community and from businesses.

• Advertisement

The public consultation is now open for the Galway to Oughterard greenway. This forms part of the Galway to Clifden greenway.

The project website is below, go there and hit the "Public Consultation" link to give your input and review the documentation

The scope of the area under the project is below

For reference, this is the old Clifden railway route

To the west of the N59 would be a balls of a route as its quite hilly for a recreational route so I'm hoping the use as much of the old railway as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Signage along the N59 already adverting website

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Very large area under consideration cycle way may not come into Moycullen village?

Will the consultation process help determine if this is mainly for tourism's rather than a commute by bike purpose

Very large area under consideration cycle way may not come into Moycullen village?

Its possible given the area mapped out, but being realistic I can't see them deviating too far from the old rail alignment. If they go as far as to follow it the whole way (not sure how feasible that is at some sections) and the route has to cross the N59, I hope they do an underpass and not a crossing point as it would be nuts trying to cross that road. A cut and cover underpass could be done within 24-36 hours with diversions or over a week or two with traffic management.

Will the consultation process help determine if this is mainly for tourism's rather than a commute by bike purpose

this is only the first consultation so really its just looking at constraints i.e. where are some of the problems along the route

However, right from the first announcements a decade ago, it was always put forward as a commuting facility for folks from the likes of Moycullen and as a greenway amenity and I don't see that changing. The route will serve both uses quite well without issue.

For example, the route going along the river up to Dangan through the Uni, every single time I've ever gone from Dangan to the city center, I've always taken that route as its just more pleasant and safer and its used by both those commuting and those just out for a stroll or a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Wolfe Tone Bridge - Pedestrian Cantilever walkway

A second one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Clifden Railway Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge

Using the pillars of the former railway bridge to build a new bridge - can this happen separate from any greenway to Connemara?

Or is it an element of that greenway?

Yes

It forms part of that greenway, yes, but it is very possible to do it separately given the section from Dangan onwards already exists.

How much is this costing?

That land maybe owned by the Government but that doesn't mean it is free...

Has there been a full environmental report done on this route?

Is there Bog Cotton or Limestone paving on this route?

Given the route is not decided yet none of those questions can be answered at this point in the process.

They do, however, form parts of later elements of the project, see the last page of the project brochure

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement