Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Cac.

Post edited by downthemiddle on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Felt that was pretty cowardly from McHugh. At best, another woeful decision/poor execution.

Not much to take from that. Game was as good as done after 30 minutes. By the 47th minute we had taken 4 shots.

Conor O'Donnell still looking comfortable taking a score which is good. And good to see Gallen back.

Not too disappointed with the result but the performance was largely awful. Kerry created several good goal chances in the 2nd half even without the jammy goal. Final score is generous enough to us.

Am seeing some comparisons being made to the type of performances we were used to seeing under a previous manager. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Seen on Twitter: “Whatever the Mayo man is getting, it’s too much. He’s either being ignored or he isn’t producing. It’s one of the two”.

Hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

No too bothered by score or performance yesterday really.

Can tell they had no interest and were just there to fulfil a fixture and keep the score down.

This weekend is the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Certainly didn't look like we had the interest... Maybe a heavy session before hand, return trip on the bus in the day?, The terrible weather, all of the above... But workrate on the pitch was a long way from Kerry's. They had 4 men on our 2 on our own end line at one point, turned it over and got a point.

Looking at it I didn't see anything in terms of development which bugs me more. McGuinness didn't give a stuff about the league but you'd at least at least be looking at patterns of play going that's interesting even if plenty were failures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The only pattern I see is the ball going sideways and backwards. Brutal stuff.

Big two games for Bonner. Lose them and he’s in real trouble.

Absolute sh1t. Playing with wind and taking short kick outs. No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This is going to be a long night. Absolute rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Has Bonner no shame. How could any coach send his team out to play like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Goal aside, its been grim

Better second half, at least they've woken up playing at home

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Great to see O Donnell playing well and getting MOTM. Gallen I thought looked really good when he was on the ball too, created that last goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Brilliant second half great to see that bit of steel and Hughie back adds that, looked like we actually wanted to win and got tactics right in the second half. Unfortunately first half we were dog **** and we got lucky with the goal. Overall a great win and plenty of reasons to be optimistic, Conor, Oisín, O’Donnell, Mc Cole, Jason.

Great win. Didn't look likely for most of the first half. Play a bit of football and anything is possible.

Delighted for Conor O'Donnell. Getting better with every game. And great to see Stephen McMenamin showing up well at the end. And Oisin Gallen is far more important to this team than Jamie Brennan.

1 from 2 against Monaghan and Armagh, both at home, is surely achievable.

Agree about Fallen. He looks like a decent footballer. Conor O Donnell is another. Ryan McHugh is a shadow of his former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It has now gone from Ryan McHugh not knowing what to do, to management not knowing what to do with him. He seems to have a good understanding with Michael Murphy, but when Murphy is not playing he does not appear to know what his role is. Gifted Tyrone a ball from a sideline kick in injury time when we were a point up that we were lucky to get away with. Hopefully he can get his act together, but every county knows at this stage he is no wing back, and other than being used off the bench it is difficult to see presently where there is a starting place for him.

He is a disaster at the moment. I don't know how he's getting away with some of the repeated errors he is making given all the analysis they must be doing. Was right behind him on Saturday and knew he'd lose that sideline ball - same thing as Mayo and he did something similar against Kildare.

Performance not good on Saturday but a very important win and great to see more minutes into players coming back. But it is still very tight at the moment a loss to Monaghan / Dublin and we're right back in it given the fact our last game is in Letterkenny. We should be able to pick up another point or 2 from the last 3 games though really. I'd also like to see us go to Dublin in a few weeks and actually try to win a league game there for once.

Performance was dire for the first 20 mins, but after the goal, (fair dues to Paddy McBrearty rather than take his point he knew a goal was needed to get us back into it) we improved and went at them. Good use of the bench by management in that regards as well I felt as we went for the win. But then again it could have been as much to do with us lacking in defenders, but a good result none the less from a very poor start.

Two points from Monaghan should be enough, but it could be a real dogfight. Monaghan with looking at relegation and they will bring the physicality that was not there from either Kildare or Tyrone. After the Mayo game, how we deal with that will give an idea of where we are at for the championship. If we win that then I would not expect too much from the next one with it being Letterkenny and shadow boxing most likely from both teams as Armagh will also most likely be safe enough after their game against Kildare. Why we insist on shooting ourselves in the foot each year having a home game in Letterkenny is beyond me.

Going to Croke Park and having a real cut at the Dubs for the final one with us being safe and them looking at avoiding relegation would be a good experience for the younger lads and a good warm-up for the championship.

There will be a kick out of the dubs yet but it'd be nice if we showed some sort of an attempt to try and win a game of football up there.

• Advertisement

Agree on both counts.

Ryan McHugh needs a rest.

Now County Chairman joins PRO in railing against 'keyboard warriors'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Awful first half yet again. Let's see if we can follow the theme and turn things around in the second

Pish.

Well that was dire.

Yet again, much as I had feared, we were physically swatted aside. Mc Cole did ok, as did Mc Ferry-Fadden, and Patton kept the margin to a level we did not deserve and that was about the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The following players didn't start. Langan, Murphy, McFadden, McGonagle, McGee, O'Donnell x2, Brennan x2, Gallen, MacCeallbhuí. However it won't matter who we have playing if we continue with the slow lateral build up waiting for runners to come from deep. We no longer break at pace getting runners ahead of the ball carrier. We are so predictable.

McHugh and Thompson coming off injured as well wasn’t a great help to us.

Tbh doc whatever about going forward with McHugh`s form of late I don`t believe him not getting injured would have made much difference.

We know Thompson can hit a point from distance and in the past when there was no way through we looked to set up both him and Langan to do just that. We won quite a few games from that as a few of those tends to pull defences further out and leave gaps and space inside, but that now seems to be gone as well with nothing much more than lateral ball and no penetration.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

The only positive I took from yesterday's game was the fact that McHugh was subbed. I'm hopping that Bonner realises that he's not the player he used to be, but I'm still baffled by his use. In the Tyrone game they left him as the lone full forward and on 2 occasions blasted a long ball up to him when he was doubly marked and by lads with a few inches height difference over him. Bizarre to say the least.

What is it with this team that they can't string a few decent performances together? Good first half v Mayo, crap second. Same for Kildare, same for Tyrone, and just plain crap in both halfs yesterday.

• Advertisement

I take your points about Ryan’s form, but it means we have to keep going deeper into our bench. And when you’re already down 6 or 7 it means you’re struggling.

Advertisement