Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

There was a side quest I did in that area with the bears last night, after you've been through there head over and talk to the merchant in the Church of Ellah near the start. He'll give you something to start a short quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yea this is well worth doing, it makes an optional boss way way easier.

A thing that was annoying me for a while was the low volume for dialogue, had a look and it's default setting is 7/10, bumped it up to 10 and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The game seems to run fine on PS4 , possibly because of graphical downgrade. I entered a dudgeon at one point and suddenly the game looked exactly like DS2. Both BB and DS3 were more impressive visually imo.

The game itself is re-packaged Dark Souls in an open world. Haven't played it enough to know if I like it or not. The previous games were already pretty sparse and hard to navigate through. Not sure if the open world setting is suited to these games tbh.. I can see myself still playing through it 6 months from now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Watching CohhCarnage play this for about 15 mins on Twitch and he's died about 6 times.

Not sure this game is for me after all. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

There are a few youtube video guides for getting buffed quick - without even fighting anything in fact. Recommended for us novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ooh, any links to them, I'm enjoying it but would prefer to see my character a little "hardier"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you haven’t gotten the spirit bell item and are finding the game tough, I would highly recommend tracking it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I went back to get that, after I defeated Godrick aha... and ye they can be handy (no need to rely fully on NPC summon).

I can only play weekend so ya no torture until then...

Not sure if I did something or picked something up but up to now I don't recall seeing a sub menu when selecting ash of war for weapons, now it has stuff when I choose one like normal , heavy, blood etc. managed to find one that give my weapon B scaling when set to heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Only tried applying ashes of war to 2 of my weapons and it have me the choice to have standard 126 or superior 100 +26 with strength going from D to a Blue D. Does that just mean the higher the letter for the weapon, the stronger the superior weapon is. Been ages since i messed around with Souls builds.

I also wondered why i couldn't summon ai ghosts, don't think i picked up that bell!

Hmm you should be able to see AI summons, real people require the use of the furlcalling finger remedy so you can see their signs. The bell is for the Ashes summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No difference between D and blue D. Higher the letter the more it scales with stats. There is a lot this game doesn't tell you. Like your strength Stat being 1.5X when two handing, had to Google it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just started this evening. Haven't strayed too far, have spent most of the time running back to the bonfire things to refill my flasks because I keep using Square to crouch instead of L3. And I keep using L3 to sprint instead of Circle. Too much Horizon, going to need time to adjust.

Have went with a Warrior build, going to try balance Dex and magic rather than strength like I normally do in Souls games.

If messages on the floor are correct, I've found a boss in a wolf cave (didn't enter the fog yet), a door to a boss in some Catacombs, and a large troll/giant at the castle entrance. Defeated a similar troll/giant near the coast but a sh*tload of archers at this one, so only tried him once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This isn't bad. One note, don't spunk all your stones on the base weapon. The two wierdos shop will have a lot more items for you than in the video, I'd likely buy a different sword before doing upgrades.

https://youtu.be/tx9IsK8qhg4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ahhhh the From Software roller coaster.

Followed the glowy **** to Margit.

Got absolutely annihilated over and over to the point I thought I'd be unable to beat him.

Headed off and did other stuff for a while. Got some levels and upgraded my weapon.

Came back for another go, realized I could summon an NPC to help, got him below half health and figured I might be able to get him.

Another 3 or 4 tries and he's deeeeaaaaaaadddddd, heart absolutely thumping by the end of the fight.

I love it and I hate it. The big big difference here compared to every other From game is if you hit a wall then you have loads of other stuff you can do instead. Really have to explore the map and trying not to Google everything.

Sorry that's what i meant, the ash summons i think you have to do at those little statues? I haven't been able to play much last couple of days, still only 5 hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I wouldn't believe every message you find but fog = boss.

The giant dude is not a boss and you can lead him away from the archers. There's a grace spot thing right beside him as well so low risk to give him a shot.

I also have the same problem as you in pressing the wrong buttons, keep jumping instead of dodging. I also just learned you can sprint after playing for 5 or 6 hours.

That comment on the buttons is exactly the same for me, crouching with L3 instead of square trying to sprint

I did this after I finished work and have a good baseline to start to have a decent wander around. Never thought about not investing in the base sword I have but I'll manage for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The game keeps giving me holy spells, ashes, weapons and accessories at me, begging me to go full on Paladin 😂

Ffs, in just read about what a certain action does with a certain npc. I can't do multiple spoilers in one post but it's to do with the below npc. Google if ye want more details Have to just applaud From with that one :D

Fia

Used a few things tonight I forgot I had, the Rune from the boss, you need to pop a rune arc to activate, +5 to stats until death, nice and the wonderous physick flask which I have mixed for strength and stamina. I'm going to call that the "finishing bottle" from now on that was a temp +10 to those.

I didn't feel I was doing more damage really so I reckon I hit the soft cap for strength there and was probably already close to it at 26.

Something else I twigged tonight is all the locations of the map pieces are actually on the map itself once you uncloud them.

Look for a lighter area with a tower or lighthouse kind of icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm doing a spellblade build and I just got the Carion Knight Sword by skipping past stormveil and going straight to the top of the map. I picked up some golden seeds, sacred tears and a lot of sites of grace on the way. My advice to anyone that has hit a wall or just wants to do something different is to just travel the entire map via the main path. You will pick up plenty of helpful items and the horse means you will rarely be in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

At first I was kind of peeved that not every area I found had something of note in them then I realised I am just a thick and most of them are hidden.

Also like BOTW you don't have to go to stormveil Castle first, whilst the game does push you there. Since then anyone I talk to about the game as gone in different directions and fought diff main bosses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Stormveil Castle last night. Absolutely massive level! There are even some seriously lengthy optional paths I’ve yet to fully finish. It feels at least as long and big as any ‘traditional’ Souls level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally reunited with my PC and got to play a little bit of this last night. I'll probably only get a quick go a day with everything going on. First impressions: I miss having a new FromSoftware game in my life.

The open world is excellent so far. It's like BotW in that it's just packed densely with stuff to do. Every time you see something interesting you are constantly rewarded for investigating it.

Early days yet. Killed two subbosses and after near 3 hours playing it I finally got to a point where I can level up and have my horsey then called it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'm around 36 hours in and I can say without any shred of doubt that this is my favourite FromSoftware game. The sense of discovery the game gives you is incredible and I'm really enjoying taking my time and soaking it all in. The world design is fantastic with some top tier art direction.

I think I'm at the 2nd main boss of the game, maybe the third.

I went with the Confessor starting class which I'm really enjoying despite never pickig a 'faith' type character before. Some great offensve and defensive options.

On a side note, I'm really digging the Spirit Ashes and in particular the 2 little imp lads which are a starting gift with the Confessor class. I love getting them involved in the action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Im a little confused on the stats in this. I'm currently using a confessor and want to try use a mix of sword and staff. Which stats should I be levelling up? Not sure it's faith, intelligence or arcane.

Advertisement