Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The danger with all of this of course is that he's now like a cornered animal... and most of the time that's when people like tyrant Putin are most dangerous, especially with an arsenal of nukes at his disposal.

This is why I hope feelers are being put out to Putin via any available channel to chopper him out to China/Iran/North Korea/whoever will take him. To me ensuring the nukes don't go is infintely more important than ensuring he or anybody else 'faces justice'. I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that he wanted out of office but couldn't see a way of doing it that would ensure his safety. No idea whether it is or was true of course, but I wondered why couldn't the Chinese or whoever arrange this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Well my point was not really about the bravery of the Ukrainians (which nobodies disputing), more about how successful they are, what I mean is, I wonder could Russia trample over them in 2 days if they really wanted. I genuinely dont know, people who understand military strategy/army capabilities/weapons being used etc in this thread may know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's Russian isn't it (?) until it's owner divests himself of it or has it taken off him.

Maybe growleaves is a Chelski supporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I was referring to Russian clubs/teams being removed from international competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are probably cold war era Soviet planes similar to what Ukraine has from Poland and Bulgaria I think. Seems like they wouldnt be game changers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Why would he flee Moscow when he's on the verge of winning a foreign war? If he can negotiate a compromise peace the ending of sanctions will be part of that. Probably wants to take Kiev first.

If the Ukrainians want a good outcome they have to hold onto Kiev. Then Putin will look very foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

100% they should be banned, might force the owner to sell it,

it’s an asset and a Russian business belonging to an oligarch.

All these bas**rds should be removed

I was surprised at the support at the match to be honest, Chelsea supporters and players should also be making a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Chinese have squirmed their way to "let there be peace and no this is not a war nor an invasion". TBH you get a sense that they are hiding behind this bland PR and are privately embarrassed after investing in Putin as someone they could deal with as a serious statesman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Whatever it takes - make their lives as uncomfortable as possible, break through the lies and propaganda and then hopefully that persuades them onto the streets in their millions.

Take down Tsar Mad Vlad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Official page of the Ukraine ministry of defence. From what I can make out. What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Took a look at The Shed (Chelsea FC forum). Huge support for Abrahmovich there.

They seem to be in a state of delusion over the Russia connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Theoretically, gloves off they could drop thermobaric weapons all over cities, annihilate them. That requires Russians to know they will be killing thousands of men, women, children.

However if people and forces are prepped and have enough underground facilities, we've seen that they can survive the most insane onslaughts. In Japan, tiny islands were battered fors hours by immense naval gunfire, so that not a tree was left standing. Yet when the Americans went ashore there were thousands of enemy troops.

Depends on a lot of factors. The Russians could have "won" in the first 2 days of the conflict if they hit with enough surprise and shock. They hit hard but the Ukrainians survived that critical first 24/48 hours, thanks to good resistance, good organisation and a strong leader, weak Russian frontline units and not to mention critical international support which was moral boosting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why should Ukraine have to compromise anything? Russia will probably win the initial conflict eventually, but at the same time the sanctions will grow and grow and grind the Russian economy to dust. How will the tyrant fund his war machine then and hold onto Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

This morning, a poster asked how to "ignore" a poster whose profile is private. Go to :-

and manually type in the name. I've had to use it 5/6 times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

A Russian BMP in Bucha telling civilians to remain calm is blown up by a Ukrainian territorial defense member with an RPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Define really wanted. I mean they can obviously nuke Ukraine to end resistance pretty quick (obviously this has other wider side effects but ignoring them). The there is a sliding scale of war crimes Russia has the weaponry to commit which would varying levels of international outcry. They could reduce the numbers of armed forces elsewhere which again could have side effects.

Certainly what Russia can politically throw into the arena is as much a war factor as geography or anything else. Russia knew how much it was willing to commit at the start before the invasion so from that angle I would say the Ukraine is holding out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Chelsea won't be banned nor should they be.

The glaring hypocrisy if the premier league did that would melt lead.

The Premier League have a fitness to own a club policy which they roundly ignore, far more recently too. Maybe going forward they may apply it.

To be completely fair to them, he has owned Chelsea for the best part of 20 years.

Back then the Putin was getting the full royal treatment in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I never seen sportwashing in action so much, but then again Chelsea have had issues regarding racism so probably wasn't too hard to buy them over to hail Comrade Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I cried hard when I listened to those text messages. Hard hitting. Poor mother, waiting for a son that will never come home to Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

many of these weapons being handed out to civilians and imported into Ukraine from the EU will eventually fall into the wrong hands and end up back in central Europe and some will land on our shores in the wrong hands, god help us

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

not ideal but much better at present than letting a bully dictator tyrant who is threatening to nuke the west win ... everything relative

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lots of people are saying Putin has gone mad, he is a lunatic.

They seem to be forgetting he has been as good as a dictator for a number of years and he is just resorting to some stereotypical dictator traits at this stage.

He has had no problem blatantly assassinating dissidents even in the UK, he had no compunction about assassinating opposition on the streets of Moscow or poisoning political opponents.

He hasn't feared the rest of the world for quite a while.

He made a calculated gamble in this invasion in that firstly the Ukrainian military and the Ukrainian population would crumble, that the actor Zelenskyy would do an Afghan fleeing the country and that the international community would do nothing bar light up a few building in Ukrainian flag.

A lot of dictators are gamblers, it is often how they get to power in the first place. It can also be their downfall.

Another trait is that they surround themselves with yes men who dare not question them, they start believing their own propaganda, that they know better than anyone else.

He probably believed the Russian Army would roll over them in hours and he definitely underestimated the international community.

He got the Eastern European determination totally wrong.

He probably thought this was his Sudetenland or even better his Anschluss where the Ukrainian masses would end up welcoming him.

Instead it looks more like his Stalingrad where he either prevails or perishes.

And in typical dictatorish fashion Putin can't be seen to be backing down and losing face is the worst possible scenario for him.

And yes to be a successful dictator (i.e. you get power and hold on to it for some time) you have to be a tad unhinged anyway, at least some sort of sociopath with narcissistic paranoid tendencies.

As for the article about how Irish aircraft leasing companies are going all out to recover their aircraft, all I will say is good luck with that.

Any pilots or techs I know of would not be volunteering to go into Russia at this stage trying to take anything out for a company based in EU with no doubt US connections of some sort.

I am not allowed discuss …

Are you joking?

How can Ukraine totally defeat Russia and win back every piece of territory? Kiev is surrounded.

Before 1914 almost every European war ended in a compromise settlement.

Hitler shot himself because the Allies were closing in on Berlin for a total victory, controlling every part of Germany. Are Ukrainian forces about to take St. Petersburg and Moscow?

Its day one of the sanctions. Is Russian society expected to collapse instantaneously?

I don't mind entertaining optimistic scenarios but help me out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In the live broadcast of CNN Turkey, the images created and shared in 2021 by 3D artist 'Borisao Blois' were given as live images from Kiev

😆

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well being a 'cornered animal' is ultimately a state of mind. I was just saying the West should be exploring this angle regardless. If that article was true he's been wanting out for a while but can't see a way of guaranteeing his safety in the process.

• Advertisement

Missed the actual question in Necro's post.

I assume Russia will offer some concession for the ending of sanctions. If they take Kiev they will have bargaining power will they not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement