Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep I've used the function for the first time today to remove the whatabouttery from the bots. It was effecting my blood pressure. I've been a member since this site started and have never used it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

They really upset me today too. I couldn't believe what I was reading on a day when seeing pictures of horror from Kharkiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It will rain tomorrow, or it will stay dry all day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Russian UN ambassador just said Ukraine started the shelling and killing.

Can easily see how the Russian nation is brainwashed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Some people actually thrive on playing the 'contrarian' role. They live off getting those reactions. Physically placing them on ignore or scrolling past their nonsense deprives them of the oxygen they crave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm in no way condoning Putin's actions in Ukraine but is it true that there was acts of genocide against ethnic Russians living in Ukraine by Ukraine armed militia before the war broke out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Exactly. He has probably been told for years, the military is in great nick, the could invade anything. The Ukrainians yurn to be Russian again, they sing songs of your name in private gatherings.

He is actively trying to take Kharkiv. It won't fall without it being flattened. Surely he knows this by now. Surely somebody in the military has said change the plan. Just surround it, focus on the Luhansk and Donbass. Nothing makes sense on it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

According to Russia, yes.

So no, in actual truth-land.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

I know its look a bit like saying two things at once, but the point is that the current war cannot last. Putin cannot take those Ukrainian cities without massive casualties, and his popularity in Russia cannot survive that, so he will end it quickly or it will be a wider conflict.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

And now it looks like he will have to physically occupy the cities if he wants to claim control them. Barraging them with Grads was the easy part. Now watch the Russian soldier death toll rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why an I still seeing 1980s style Russian “fashion” ads?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Ukraine has a golden opportunity to communicate with the ordinary Russian family to get the truth across. I assume every Russian captured or killed has a mobile number of family back home or those killed would have some kind of a contact number on them. So ring them all up and tell the family that they may have a relative of their’s here and……………….., the captured soul died can talk live but UNDER SUPERVISION. I expect that these soldiers are from the poorer cohort of Russian society. The cohort that are relatively brainwashed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh they went away for a day and are back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Russia's foreign ministry has said that those supplying lethal weapons to Ukraine will bear responsibility should they be used during Russia's military campaign there.

The ministry added that the steps the European Union has taken against Russia will not be left without a harsh response.

Earlier, the EU's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said that EU countries will give fighter jets to Ukraine, as the bloc agrees to transport weapons worth €450 million to Kyiv

Russian Foreign Ministry putting a shot across the bow of those European countries sending weapons. It's a reminder that Russia may find it hard to see a distinction between belligerents and non-billigerents if their soldiers start getting killed at the hands of those weapons provided by the latter.

Arming Ukraine is risky but I think the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw a video earlier that Russian soldiers made showing the bodies of the Ukrainian soldiers they killed, its only when you see something like that you realise how brutal this conflict is on the ground.

A Ukrainian MP was talking on Drivetime just after 6pm, she was in a bunker taking cover from an air raid and that Cormac whats his name asks her how she is doing!

Not content with asking one stupid question he asks her what they need from Ireland and when she says weapons to arm the men and women on the front line he then goes into a big spiel about Ireland being a neutral country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Good !!!! Bring it on. Had it been done earlier, might have given Putin 2nd thoughts. As it is, had his original plane worked ( rapid take over of Ukraine) then Finland might have been next on the list. ( and not the only one either)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Like f*ck there was. There was a stinging and nasty war in 2014 generated by Putin, where he invited in Don Cossack militias, Kremlin-connected mercenaries and unbadged Russian military to stir sh*t and set up fake ass pliable puppet states.

Talk of genocide is the fakest of fake news and a slur. It's a deadly serious charge and that needs to be backed up. Zero evidence of genocide and it's only said to enflame and set the stage for wider war. 1.5 million fled West into other parts of Ukraine, probably a majority of them ethnic Russians. Don't believe what comes out mouths of the Kremlin sh*tbags. They want breathing space to conduct war, don't give it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yes you are! This is about the here and now, the invasion of Ukraine. Thousands of innocent are probably going to be slaughtered over the next few days by putins forces. So come back with your history lessons at a more appropriate time.

Presume it’s some kind of hacking of anti Russian (ie the truth) type discussions allover the west by the Putin bots?

• Advertisement

With all respect to you, if we are talking about annoying posts, this kind of thing gets me more than the wind up posts.

This thread is about a war, a hard winter war happening in real time, people are dieing, people are losing their homes and their families. But more and more people here are getting 'upset' about other people's mean posts.

Someone else is 'crying hard' about obviously fake texts being read out at the UN, another is asking how to get to Ukraine to fight but we all know that's just posturing, another is begging everyone to - look at me I sent money into a Ukraine bank account.

Also, ffs, there are no 'Russian bots' here. There are a few wind up merchants teasing people, if you can't handle that you have no business commenting on a real war in Ukraine.

Maybe we should have a 'sensitive' thread, for all the sensitive people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think genocide might be a strong word but the Russians definitely have a case in the two Eastern provinces in terms of Russian speakers and how they were treated.

The issue is they've gone about things in a way where they are too easy to paint as the bad guys.

In relation to this invasion, it's just strategic bullying and criminality by Russia.

There are other ways they could have highlighted issues in Donbass and even got sympathy. Instead they sent mercenaries to forment a war there.

This is a very real concern. Conflict weapons feeding the black market has been happening for years, Ukraine has the largest arms trafficking market in Europe. A lot of the volunteer battalions get bored and slip off home and bury their weapons or sell them to the highest bidders.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2022/01/21/why-sending-anti-tank-weapons-to-ukraine-may-end-badly/

The weapons pouring into that region lately however are far more sophisticated than have been previously seen. The thought of Stingers and Javelins floating around the black market doesn't bear thinking about.

There have also been concerns voiced in the intelligence community that the Azov battalion provided training for American right wing groups. There are even suggestions Brent Tarrant (who shot up the NZ mosques) had some contact with Azov Battalion.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/fbi-neo-nazi-militia-trained-by-us-military-in-ukraine-now-training-us-white-supremacists/251687/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I didn't say anything about Russian bots in my comment. I'll continue to comment unless a mod says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

This thread is 'contrarian' out of sync with the mainstream.

BBC, CNN just says Russia faces "stiffer than expected resistance" in taking Kiev.

Posters here say Putin will commit suicide/be assassinated/Russia will collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of Ukrainians were forced to leave Luhansk and Donetsk.

There were incidents after 2014 when Pro-Russian protesters were killed by Ukrainians. One incident in Odessa was widely reported.

It would be wrong to say that there have not been localised incidents of Ukrainian-Russians being told to clear off out of communities. But it has been totally overblown and not government sanctioned.

I have been pure Pro-Ukrainian since this kicked off last week but it has to be acknowledged that it wasn't free and easy before it. There was stuff going on that the Ukrainian government should not have done. Giving the Azov Battalion military accreditation was one of them.

None of it. Not one jot justifies what has been happening this last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You can go to any city in Ukraine and freely converse in Russian and no one will bat an eyelid. Russian is the language of the street in Kyiv by a healthy margin.

There was an ill-advised language law that was poorly implemented, but notions of discrimination is more Kremlin nonsense. And if you're asking if it's an appropriate pretext for national dismemberment and a devastating war I'd say you're insane.

People have short memories, but Putin tried to stir sh*t in Estonia and Latvia as well over language laws as well. Would we be all wringing our hands and prevaricating if Russia invaded Estonia or Latvia over their language laws? Would we f*ck.

There is no excuse for what Putin is doing. Don't give oxygen to fascism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Isn't there a football forum somewhere that the kids could go play in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement