Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oddly enough during the Georgian war there was a large amount of bombs dropped failed to detonate and a bigger amount missed intended targets

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was there any update from the "peace" talks today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Younger Russians especially are savvy, educated people. They know.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Russia has been in an almost constant state of war since the end of the USSR. Overwhelmingly by their own choice. The below list doesn't include undeclared interventions in places like Lybia, Mali and other locations conducted by Kremlin-connected mercenaries but with clear Russian state foreign policy goals.

They didn't lick this off the ground and the Russian public is probably numb to war and the state's involvement in various places.

A list:

Georgia / Abkahzia: 1991-1993

Moldova / Transnistria: 1992

Tajikistan: 1992 - 1997

North Ossetia (internal): 1992

Chechnya I (internal): 1994-1997

Dagestan (internal):1999

Chechnya II (internal): 1999-2009

Georgia: 2008

Chechnya / Dagestan / General Caususes insurgency (internal): 2009-2017

Ukraine Donbas: 2014 - present

Syria: 2015- present

Central African Republic: 2018 - present

Ukraine: 2022 -present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

First I'd say that all Russians don't have access to unapproved media....secondly, for the last 20+ years, Putin has ruthlessly suppressed any protests, even pretty big ones, like after he won ( stole ) elections. So yes, they are pretty downtrodden. And even if the majority of Russians hate Putin and what he is doing to them and Russia, they feel powerless to do anything. When he has form for killing his opponents, that's a powerful argument against protesting. But maybe now it will be different....and the protests will reach critical mass. For sure though, if the majority of Russians knew what was really happening in Ukraine, it would not only reach critical mass, it would go nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That was not a contrarian opinion by any stretch. It was the official finding by the UN. It was well known that the weapons of mass-destruction stuff was just a pretext. I remember at the time that the US had been amassing 300,000 troops on the border for months beforehand. Just like the Russians this time, it was obvious that they were going to invade and were just hoping for some pretext before it happened.

I’ve no time for them as a people, they’re hard uncivilised self centred shower of savages.

"I've no time for them as a people"!

Are you proud of that comment?

You would rightly be threadbanned for a statement like that referring to most other nationalities.

During Putin’s time journalists writing negatively about him risked being imprisoned, poisoned, meeting a violent ‘accident’, disappearing entirely or politically motivated investigations. This has led to a self censorship within their media. It’s a very dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely- and I stand over it. Why do you think they’re lovely or something? Is that what bothers you today? Russia and their supposed “feelings”? They repulse me to the pit of my stomach. “Most other nations” don’t go in invading sovereign nations and murdering their people. I put that before any alleged anti National feeling- but im old fashioned like that.

Can ban me away I don’t care. It’s all Putin defenders know I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Mr.Putin is testing the strength of the corporate cancel culture, corporations may just be powerful enough to cancel Russia and this was not the case in 1939

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

In this case it's country cancel culture. Early signs it's a feckin effective tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Why do you think it's getting easier and easier to like them? There are millions of Russians in the west,,many in High positions. I don't hear an outcry from them about what their military is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If they have family back in Russia, why risk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I'll be fair, those Fulcrums in question aren't exactly spring chickens. They were delivered to East Germany at the end of the 1980s, taken over by the Luftwaffe after reunification and stayed Germany's premier fighters until 2003. They were then sold on to Poland for a symbolic price of 1€ per plane and they've been operating them ever since. I know from press articles at the time that the Polish Air Force officials were stunned at the good condition of the aircraft during the handover and Poland seems to have taken equally good care of them.

The Czechs, like the Hungarians, got rid of theirs primarily because they wanted a purely NATO-compatible fighter. That's why they went with the Gripen in the Mid-2000s, a decision that was not very popular in many quarters from what I hear. Make no mistake, between the extreme manoeuvrability, the helmet-mounted targeting system and the high weapons load out, these things may be an old beast, but they most definitely are a beast. Having two engines also helps with survivability.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

Unless the west intervene militarily by taking over control of Ukrainian airspace I fear Putin is going to commit mass murder on a scale unseen since WW2. It's great arming Ukraine to the teeth but if Russia has control of the airspace you're in for a long protracted war where the main casualties are the Ukrainians.

The only thing people like Putin understand is force. However it's done Russian forces need to be expelled from across Ukraine and allow Ukrainians to take back control of their country. Let them join NATO and the EU if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Don't try to jump above your height to any moral high ground here. You just said that the people of Russia :

I’ve no time for them as a people, they’re hard uncivilised self centred shower of savages.

You Sir, are an intellectual and ethical midget.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There is from some of the famous Russian people tbf. Not many of us would know them but there's a famous Russian blogger Yury Dud who is posting anti-war stuff on his Instagram page. There's other stuff but it really is a far cry from western freedom of speech as we know it.

Here's an interesting Twitter thread on the propaganda war and how Russia are not winning it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know whether that would be fair to the people of Leitrim. They've enough to deal with as it is down there

• Advertisement

An 'uncivilised self centred shower of savages'.

Is that your opinion too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Read on Zelensky - he promissed to learn Ukranian during the presidential campaign. The above it pure Kremlin BS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I worked with a Russian friend in the US back a few years ago. At the time he was not long out of college. I got on very well with him. Sound fella. Very abrupt and direct. Appeared to have a respect for the "strongman" aspect of Putin though. I don't know whether or not he's still the same. He was someone who had studied and lived in the US for a few years at that stage. Very smart fella as well.

I understand the seriousness of this wave of the crisis, but is it really necessary for news organizations to be churning out updates like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And as said I stand over it. Bizarre that is all you’re worried about, it really speaks volumes about you. As for the personal insults- do you think I give a flying shite what you think about me. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It certainly is my opinion of their government and tbh I'm tired of hearing " oh the ordinary people don't know what's happening ". That has been said for years despite numerous atrocities being carried out by Russia both at home and abroad. At some stage a people have to be held accountable for its countries actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Every battle video I have seen has Russian speaking Ukrainian Army fighters defending their country, hardly surprising as the war is mostly occurring in the east. Yet the Putin apologists / useful idiot types say those same people support the Russian invasion Putin & want to be ruled by Russia!

The 1798 Wexford United Irish rebellion in Ireland had English speaking areas of Ireland fighting loyalist troops. 30,000 died in Wexford alone. Guess which side was speaking Irish, the loyalist militia troops brought in to oppress & massacre the local population.

I suppose nowadays the apologist bull-shiting stooges would be claiming exactly the opposite!

Slava Ukraine! Glóir don Úcráin!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

There is a difference between the governing regime and the individual Russian. Hate the regime, not the Russian. The ordinary Russians are as much a victim of Putin as the Ukrainians

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

It washes very well Dan.....so your brother in the west calls you and says

" Dan, the Govt is hiding the truth from you. The Russian army is leveling citys and slaughtering thousands in Ukraine. They are throwing conscripts into the front lines, where they are also being slaughtered. They are using Thermobaric bombs in heavily populated areas......its mass murder Dan. you have to tell the people. Start protests...this has to be stopped.

Dans Reply : No, Mike, thats not what we are hearing and seeing on the news...ita big peacekeeping action, protecting our brother Russians from the neo-nazis.

( then in a follow on msg on secure what's app: Mike, are you Fookin crazy? You want to get me arrested ?? Dimitri from down the road got the same news you just gave me, and you know where he is now? Prison...he went protesting about it, and now no one knows where he is. Don't ever send me an email like that again, use what's app, while we still have it. I'm surprised that you have forgotten so quick how things work here)

End of story Dan.

• Advertisement

What other entire populations do you have blanket opinions of? How about the Chinese? Indians? The Irish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement