Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Vegetables Outdoors

Options
  • 28-02-2022 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

I am seeking advice/tips on whether (Excuse the pun) it is possible or not to store our weekly stock of vegetables outdoors e.g. sack of spuds, carrots, sprouts, onions, cabbage, broccoli.

Any information is greatly appreciated !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Interested in this too. We upgraded our house and it’s 20Degrees all day. Not great for veg. If anyone has any specific container types to use and where to get them would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Vegetable you have mentioned should be stored between 2 to 5 degree Celsius. Hope that explains everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We have neigbbours with an old metal filing cabinet in the back garden that they seem to keep some veg in!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I keep most of my vegetables in the fridge (except potatoes). I know it can be contraversal, but they keep much longer that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I keep some stuff in a lidded plastic laundry hamper in the shed. It's not airtight, so the stuff can breathe, but it's robust enough to keep everything safe from the creature living out there that must be approximately the size of Godzilla, going by its appetite.

Carrots and potatoes in particular keep waaaaaay longer out there than they do in the kitchen. Just remember not to store potatoes and onions together if you do similar, they don't like each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I store our potatoes in a jute/ hessian sack in the garden shed, failing that a good stout paper bag works well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If you don't have a crayture!

I'm pretty sure Fantastic Mr. Fox is living under my shed.

Not sure if that makes me Boggis, Bunce or Bean.

Also, unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's Unwelcome Mr. Rat 😫

Advertisement