Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Can apply the same logic you have to absolutely anything.

Why would you pay 1000 for an iPhone when a 150 Android phone does the same thing?

Why would you pay 100k for a car when a 25k car does the same thing?

I think the Anderson looks great, would have been my preference for the aesthetics but didn't want to pay the premium. Can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Things have both a value and a price. Value is subjective, many of us will pay more for something because it has a value to us other than its basic utility. The Andersen looks slick and that’s worth something. If my charger was more visible then maybe I’d have considered it too.

Sure why buy a Porsche when a Dacia will get you from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Thanks Gumbo for the Type 2 cable ( its been a god send ) havnt used any petrol since Thur and only spent €3.80 in tesco carpark to charge , rest in lidl carpark for free so been amazing , have ordered my own cable , and have a qualified electrician who will install a charger

question is which one to get , i don't want anything fancy just 7kw 32amp simple one will do me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WW6ZWVN/ref=twister_B08D6T81ZD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 any thoughts on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Says it requires an earthing rod to be installed. Might represent additional costs. No load balancing, which might be fine depending on your usage. Also says you need to leave the car unlocked to charge, that can't be right surely? Makes it kind of useless if true in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As we use TN-C-S system in Ireland all houses should have an earth rod.

it says unlocked to start charge and then you lock it.

“5. Lock your car and leave to charge. (Also locks the cable if car supports)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t need an earth rod in Ireland.

Also, the unit itself has a dial which you can set to 6a, 12a, 16a and 32a.

Load balancing is only required if you have other high draw items, for example, I don’t have a priority switch either as I have no other high draw applicants (showers, A2W etc).

How does it work in the UK? Are earthing rods not used there ?

Ah right, so that means you cannot use a scheduled charge, even if the car supports it?

You can use schedules charge. Your car controls that.

no idea about keeping the car unlocked. That must be a mistake. I tested my fathers on the 530e, i3 and Tesla.

It means that if the car is not charging when plugged in. It maybe because the car has a schedule blocking it

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Know there is info in here re SEAI grant but I'm struggling with search function. Straightforward enough question, how long after send in details of instal will the €600 hit the bank account and do they send email acknowledging that they got the details (I sent it this time last week and have heard nothing). Thanks

• Advertisement

About 8 weeks.

Youll get an email to confirm receipt of the documents and that it is under review.

Then you’ll get an email confirming payment has been made by EFT.

That's worrying, I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago but have not received an email receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

My EV charger get done today but i have no earthing rod so gona cost me a extra €150 on top of the install.

Give them a call. The SEAI are very easy to reach. If anything, just to confirm they have received your docs.

Did you post them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lblaney

Hi..we have EO mini pro 2 podiums in black available in stock...we are based in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

I rang them today as I had sent mine on Feb 4th and had heard nothing. They told me they were up to about 7th Feb in processing but hadn't received. I had kept a copy of everything thankfully and the girl said I could email the copies in and she would get them processed. So I sent them off this afternoon. Hopefully goes smooth from here.

FYI you're coming across as a condescending prick.

Can I interest you in some beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

This is the weirdest argument/oneupmanship I've seen on Boards and that takes some doing.

Relax lads, they're only chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Funny thing is, they're not even chargers 😃.

I'm actually surprised Manion didn't get attacked for not having an unsightly isolator switch visible in his install pic. That seems to be a recurring hobbyhorse too.

There's no doubt some companies are gouging with installs, when EVs/grants are mentioned. As always, advice is to shop around if you want value.

Ah sure that happened earlier. I will say a neighbor got a hypervolt which looks quiet well as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey all, hoping to order our first ever ev today. Have a mid terraced house with driveway.

Ive been googling like mad, and remember reading an article at some stage (I think) that the charger doesn't necessary need to be connected back to my trip board, but can be connected elsewhere? Our trip board is at the rear of the house, but with the porch the meter and main switch is located.

I scanned through the thread, but it's a massive thread.

One other question, if I order today and there is 6+month wait time, can I get the charger installed and just apply for grant when I receive the car (e.g. Jan 2023)?

Thanks in advance

No. You must have grant approval before you install the charging point

Chargepoint can be connected directly to the external meter cabinet as per IS101010.

Grant must be applied for in advance. Do it closer to the time. It’s not a lottery who gets it or not. Everyone that applies gets it once you have off street parking.

Cheers folks, timing was more a worry of getting the car and having a delay for the charger.

i had my charger installed 3 days after ordering it. Turn around time is fast enough,

what you should do is check to ensure your tails etc. ( cables between meter and fuse board) are 16mm, otherwise there may be additional work needed that takes time.

Ok, but you need to complete the process within 6 months of getting you approval. You need to have the car and send evidence of ownership to complete the process. It's become very awkward timing wise as you could be waiting months to get an installation so you need to time application, installation and car delivery all the happen in the same window.

The house had a complete rewire in 2017 to industry standard. Would that mean I'm ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Is it possible to get a charger installed for less than 1200 quid these days? (before the 600 SEAI). Was hoping to only have to spent a couple hundred above the 600 SEAI)

Advertisement