Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In Georgia he just smashed the place up. But that was a much smaller country and arena. They couldn't put up a real fight.

Let's hope he won't do that here. Hard to see him doing that given this is a much higher profile situation for the west than Georgia was and he is already enduring crippling sanctions.

The actual chess master (Garry Kasparov) has been highly critical of Putin for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

This idea of sitting back in case Putin launches a nuke is all well and good but when do you call his bluff.

Let's say he succeeds in Ukraine and kills 100s of thousands. Then decides to go for the baltics and if we touch him he nukes us and then Poland and Finland.

At some point you need to push back and the longer he goes the more brazen he'll get. If that covoy attacks Ukraine then I think that fully justifies a counter strike purely on humanitarian grounds. Theres kids with cancer cowering in fear or what's going on whilst we all sit back and worry about ourselves and our own little patch of grass. I for one would prefer not to live under the cloud of a threatened nuclear strike for years whilst millions of innocent people die just so I'm alright Jack.

Saw that in earlier thread. Very smart. Got to get the message past the state controllers and through to ordinary Russians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭This is it

Just had a quick look at some Russian bars and restaurant Google revi and they're full of anti war messages. Not sure how well it will work but seems like a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Adolf Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I will of course answer but before I do, you should remember that just because I pick holes in "pro ukraine" posts doesn't mean I support Putin or Russia. For example, if someone says Putin is obviously mentally unhinged and I say I don't think he is, that he wants a Russian puppet in Ukraine as Ukraine are moving closer to the west, doesn't mean I actually support Putin.

Right, onto your questions:

Russia and Putin are 100% in the wrong for invading Ukraine. Ukraine and it's people are pro EU and Russia have no right to invade and force Ukrainians under the influence of Russia.

It is absolutely inevitable that Russia will win this war. Ukraine can not match the Russians. Zelenskyy unfortunately is going to end up dead or be put in a prison like Navalny imo. That being said, Russia can't control a country and population so big long term. 40m + people in a massive geography with a huge anti Russia population.

No, I don't believe Ukraine is governed by Nazis etc. However, in trying to understand why Putin views them as Nazis, he views them as such because Zelenskyy has taken measures to remove Pro Russia voices. When Putin calls them Nazi's, he's not calling them Nazis because they hate Jewish people, he's calling them Nazi's due to perceived actions during WW2. There's a belief or notion from WW2 that some nationalists in Ukraine sided with the Nazis to go against Soviet Russia. Now Putin is making out that those in power now are nationalists who are against Russia, therefore they are the same as Nazis.

Far right elements in Ukraine? By what barometer are you defining far right? I'd imagine, like most eastern european countries that gays and black people wouldn't be very welcome.

Do I wish for an overall Russian victory? No. I personally would surrender though. If Ireland got invaded by the UK, I'd rather live under British rule than die and be put under British rule anyways.

Yes I support Ukrainians right to defend themselves.

Am I more sympathetic to the Russian side? Of course not. There was a childrens hospital on RTE earlier and my heart sank.

Unfortunately, Ukraine is not going to win here. Russian will take control for at least a short time. The government will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Maybe you're right about time we stand for something more tbh. We can only enjoy the fruits of our civilisation if we have a solid image of the type of world we want. I Cringe sometimes at the world that we live in where particularly in Ireland we will make concessions on certain values if it means a few points to our GDP. It saddens me that this is a world where hapless buffoons celebrate a Saudi Arabia investment fund taking over their team so they can sign a few footballers.

I for one would be willing to sacrifice whatever trappings of modernity we have if it means we push back against tyrants like Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Praying for the Ukrainians in Ukraine tonight. Kharkiv sounds like it’s suffered quite a number of civilian losses. I’ve a very bad feeling about Kyiv and what’s in store…Putin is backed into a corner, really hope I’m wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He was unavoidably detained by Miss Moneyrouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Those Finnish mots can be dangerous yokes alright. Stunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

tonight is the night, Kyiv abu

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The biggest load of bull honkey swallowed by apologists is the supposed stance and outlook of Russian speakers and ethnic Russians in Ukraine - that they all want to cut and run from the country and be absorbed by Russia. It's absolute swill. Ukraine has been transformed since 2014, and it was never particularly true before then either. Philosophically, politically and in terms of national self-identity it is a changed country. And this war has pushed it into never-going-back territory.

Putin and irredentist Russian nationalists over the border want to believe this is how ethnic Russians and Russian speakers think. Putin has been broadcasting it to the world this is how he thinks Russian ethnics should be orientated and is doing his damndest to will it into reality.

This maniacal sentiment trying to brainwash the world that this vision should come to pass because he sits in draughty lonely halls in the Kremlin meditating on it, is not just barmy, it's brought Europe to the brink of all-out-war.

Ukrainians, ethnic Russians and ethnic Ukrainian alike don't buy it for a second and are rejecting it with all they have, so why are foreigners eating it up? It's bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"The Russian Foreign Ministry: Those who supply Ukraine with lethal weapons will bear the consequences"

The poor guy writing out the list is going to get RSI.

(this a new threat, not the original)

Yeah, it's not just as straightforward as people saying "the young people have access to internet and don't like him". I'm sure plenty don't. Their culture appears to tend to look up to figures like Putin though. I'm sure that that could change over time. But it does filter down somewhat even to the young people who have traveled.

I don't think the fella I know would be in favour of the war. I just mean in terms of their understanding of how their world works. That's just their normal

There are unsubstantiated claims of a video of himself and CD doing the naughty thing in a Moscow hotel.

Whatever about the nukes, nobody wants it to come to that tape being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

To be fair, I think the Ukrainians are doing a fair job bloodying the nose of the Russian army soon far. The high estimate of Russian casualties 5 days in is around 4,000. If it's even only half of that, it's still a bad start for the Russians. Comparing to the Russo-Georgian war, lasting twice that long, and Russian casualties sit around 350.

Yes, the Russians could potentially roll up to Kiev and subject it to such a hellish bombardment that it leaves nothing of the city's inhabitants other than the fillings in their teeth, but that kind of brutal onslaught in the full glare of 21st century media will only bring more international condemnation, more sanctions and more commitments for military support to Ukraine. The tunnel vision the Russians are displaying in all of this is pretty staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

This thread is hectic and interesting, I also think I’m going to have to moderate how often I check it in the days ahead though.

Goodnight all, I fall asleep hoping to wake up to news that Putin has been shot in the head by a colleague.

• Advertisement

I think Bezos had the right idea. Get the spaceship ready lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If that tape exists and the Russians have it, they should just nuke us all now rather than release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rumour has it that Putin accidentally watched a few seconds from the start of the video last week and decided that humanity was an illusion that didn't deserve to exist anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SigriStarter

Which would be louder, the nuke or the farting?

Sky news showing a group of men rocking up to the Ukraine embassy in London saying to want to head over and fight and being handed pieces of paper by the soldier out front.

I'd be gone meself only I picked up an oul' dose of the bone spurs again last week.

I saw that video though. I had to think fair balls to them. From all countries too. I think there was an Iranian and a few Polish etc. An ould fella in his 60's who did a bit in their TA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They have sold the rights for the tv show to the crowd who done Pam and tommy.

Mick and Claire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

It’d be 100% exactly the same as the 2nd planet of the apes movie (presumably without the talking apes though). That said , Vladimir Putrid does often look a bit like a shaved ape depending on the camera angle.

• Advertisement

One is the video that 'broke the internet'

The other one would actually break the internet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement