Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As if this conflict hadn't already generated enough horrifying images!😲

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Bleak thoughts from Fiona Hill about the situation we find ourselves in.

He has a track record using horrific weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Hello? Yeah, we've come to join the, uh, Ukrainian army, or whatever they're called."

Nothing like pledging your commitment to such a potentially hellish endeavour as war with casualness of signing up to an 18-30 beano to Blackpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I just feel I had to do something, however small or insignificant. I’ve felt ill all day today having viewed the news of that mother of the 6 year old girl. I’ve got kids that age myself.

Personally I can’t get the pain in her eyes out of my mind. It’s haunting me. Then I hear the story of that young soldier KIA moments after speaking to his mother and to any reasonable person he too is a victim. He’s a victim of that slurry ridden dung heap system they have ingeniously (evil scum) installed in Russia to mind control the masses.

Ive started the ball rolling now in my own way …… I’ve committed to sending 100 Google “reviews” to all major businesses in Russian cities. Started off with a star bucks in Moscow.

Some may say it’s futile but if there’s even the remotest possibility that the Russian people will wake up from their zombie sleep and begin an uprising to remove that piece of fcukin sh1t out of the Kremlin then I’ll sleep slightly better tonight

The Vietnamese didn’t surrender nor did the Bosnians. Both overmatched. History shows that when defending your country the defending forces resolve is a lot greater.

“I’d rather die on my feet than live on my knees”

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

The propaganda levels from each side is off the charts.

They are promising to pay 100,000 UAH a month to the troops. About 3k a month here and where my wife is from in the Balkans that is serious change. To those lad tough I don't think they wanted to sign up for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I accept your Caveat -

Point 1 we agree on clearly so - il quote the points i disagree with

"It is absolutely inevitable that Russia will win this war. .........."

In answering this point i would say that, all things being equal, we WOULD agree here too? However things are not at all clear on this front. and so i have to disagree - It is clear (to me IMHO) that Putin did not expect any resistance what so ever- certainly nothing like the resistance that he is encountering. I would also add that, what is at stake here is NOT Russia, or Russian Military Prestige - what is at stake, is the career, life, and rule, of Vladimir Putin. If the Ukraine continue to fight and resist, if they bloody the Russian army up as much as they can (and i have ABSOLUTELY no doubt that they will do this - they have the means and the manpower in Kiev and other cities - to say nothing of the countryside) - Things could get very messy for Putin; Politically. Add to that the fact that the entire western world, the former eastern bloc, and most sane countries are crucifying Russia with sanctions. There is no question in my mind that Putins position may be at risk. Exits remain open to him (withdraw, come to a settlement, claim victory, etc etc) - But it is far from clear whether he would take these routes. The damage that could be done to the Russian military if they continue to fight, and perhaps attempt to occupy Ukraine would also be staggering. Yes the Russian military is enormous, but there would be no real way to cover up the death toll if it rose to the tens of thousands, or more. As it is sure too, if this continues

"No, I don't believe Ukraine is governed by Nazis etc.........."

On this point we completely disagree. The use of the term NAZI is pure unadulterated propaganda IMHO. Russia views WW2 (referred to in Russia as the Great Patriotic War) in a different way to the rest of the world. Firstly they abhor the NAZI forces for what they did to Russia (as well they should), and secondly they genuinely believe, that they, ALONE, defeated Hitler (not gonna debate this, irrelevant for the context of this). His use of the term NAZI, is purely to whip up pro Russian attitude and hysteria against the enemy, and also connect this war back to that entirely justifiable struggle. Its propaganda. It has absolutely no basis in reality, regardless of whether there are some right wingers in the Ukraine.

"Far right elements in Ukraine? By what barometer are you defining far right? I'd imagine, like most eastern european countries that gays and black people wouldn't be very welcome....."

I dont dispute that. I would however place it on the irrelevant shelf for now? Unless i am missing something, i dont believe that Russia has black ethnic minorities? Also Russia is one of the most anti LGBT countries in the world (possible exception of some of the Muslim majority states of course)

"Do I wish for an overall Russian victory? No. I personally would surrender though. If Ireland got invaded by the UK, I'd rather live under British rule than die and be put under British rule anyways........"

Well thats your position. I for one, have no idea how i would react. I would certainly defend my family 100% - i would defend them indefinitely, or die doing so

Im going to stop quoting because to be honest. You seem to have rational points for the most part. What i would say is that you are extremely pessimistic. And i admit, the situation is not good. But i do think you should re-evaluate the situation. This is no where near as hopeless as it seems. When they invaded on thursday, i was outraged, and almost as pessimistic as you.

But in 96hours we have seen

-The EU agree to militarily and financially Aid the Ukraine

-NATO effectively doing likewise

-Large quantities of effective weapons will be supplied

-Intelligence being handed to the Ukraine

-a complete ostracizing of Russia by the civilized world

-Severe Financial sanctions on Russia

-Several Top Oligarchs turning on the Regime (not to be underestimated at all)

-Big players such as China beginning to back away and chose to abstain from serious comment (which is a tacit condemnation in effect)

and most importantly

-Evidence that the vast majority of Ukrainians are going to fight like lions, and never capitulate (you even indicated this yourself)

This is a horrid situation. But its not over, not by a long shot.

“Nations that go down fighting rise again, but those who surrender tamely are finished.”

So Chin up - IMHO - respectfully

Happy to continue a back and forth if interested

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Cut from the same cloth in that regard. Its extremely hard to verify a lot of the videos and casualty tallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There's a 40 mile military convoy heading for Kyiv, and if everyone else piles on to protect Kyiv therefrom, there's a man with a big red button and nothing to lose.

I don't think "pessimism" quite fits here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You know the way Anonymous or whoever have been hacking RT etc. with the images of the war and stuff? Well if the Russians hit back by broadcasting that footage in place of CNN, BBC etc., they could reverse the result of Cold War. All across the Western World people would be gouging out their eyes, throwing themselves from windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭This is it

From BBC

"Satellite imagery company Maxar Technology says that earlier reports indicating the column of Russian armour advancing on Kyiv is 17 miles (27km) long are inaccurate.

The convoy actually stretches about 40 miles, according to Maxar.

The company added that new images also show ground troops and attack helicopters in southern Belarus, less than 20 miles from the Ukraine border."

Hopefully there's a plan to slow/stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Is this sanction map accurate? It looks like its only western countries that have placed sanctions on Russia. Is it the case that nobody in Africa or South America or Southern Asia have sanctioned Russia?

That's a big target, even a military genius like me would be sending air to bomb it and the roads in front of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Probably accurate. But those countries in red probably consist of 60% of global GDP (maybe more) and are the countries that matter economically. Most critically, the Central Bank sanctions whereby they can't clear any major currency worth a damn means in effect they are walled off from the global economy.

This is about as powerful a sanctions package as possible. It's the motherload.

Who? The Ukrainians probably don't have the airpower left and NATO can't directly intervene. The Russians probably have SAM defences set up all over the region now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

a 40 mile military convoy sounds scary,how many vehicles per mile?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are images of them 3 abreast. Presumably though not for the 40 miles! But even images of them in single file have them one after the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's a 40mile convoy outside Kyiv.

Is he just going to do a General Zhukov and send waves and waves into a city?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its the supply chain getting in place for the siege of kiev you would feel. I womder is there any way the ukrainians could use IEDs to destroy large parts of the road infrastructure to slow them.

I'm surprised that nothing seems to have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

petrol bombs against this 40 mile shower of p1ss will be a massacre

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I read earlier they used Turkish drones to disrupt supplies already.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1572956/Ukraine-Russia-convoy-destroyed-drone-strike-Turkey-video-vn

I posted that just a little while ago. Bleak reading.

'tis. Easy to miss stuff in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

True its where a lot of the economic might is but it would be nice to see a bit more solidarity from the other regions of the world. Maybe its just too distant from them to be interested enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Russia must really be gaining air superiority around Kyiv to protect this convoy. They do possess probably the best ground to air anti aircraft/missile defense system in the world in the s400 eventhough it is largely untested in combat situations.

What we have seen of the Russian attack I fear is a fraction of what they are capable of unfortunately.

Wether they are willing to use these weapons or are able to use them effectively are two separate questions.

It is extremely difficult to just roll into dense populated urban areas where the defenders have home advantage and Putin now realises this strategy will not win him the war especially when Ukraine resistance has been so effective with its anti tank capabilities.

I don't see how he expects to occupy a whole country it is nearly an impossible feat in this day in age especially against a capable military like Ukraine with intelligence and supplies from Western countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement