Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting your child 5-11 vaccinated? Why/why not?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Our three kids all got fully vaccinated and not a bother on them. None of them got covid yet that we know of and neither have their parents.

Whether its the vaccines, the multivitamins we all take daily since the start of all this or pure luck I don't know. My youngest told me she is the only girl in her class not to have got it yet. It's weird how it seems to skip people.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

My lads got their second jab today - just about over one month after contracting covid. All very easy and no side effects so far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I agree with the weird part.

3 in our household.

1 x adult healthcare worker exposed to Covid on daily basis - fully jabbed early on - never got Covid.

1 x adult (me) with autoimmune condition - not received any jab - never got Covid.

1 x primary school age child - not received any jab - never got Covid.

We both worked throughout Covid and child went to school.

We were all close contacts at various stages (either as a family or individually) and did the isolation thing, but all tests came back negative.

Some friends and family around us have got Covid, some haven't.

Didn't take multivitamins or anything else for Covid. Didn't clean the shopping before it came into the house or do anything manic like that. Just followed practical measures and tuned out of daily Covid news (from both sides) for the last year. Obviously paying attention to the important announcements etc.

I am not offering an opinion here, just stating the facts as they relate to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

New study showing the pfizer vaccine isnt very effective at all against omicron infection in the 5-11 age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's literally not what the study says, go back and read it again (well at least a first time). You're still getting sucked in by headlines posted god knows which website.

• Advertisement

Its from the awful anti vax New York times. Literally the headline and by line is:

"Pfizer Shot Is Far Less Effective in 5- to 11-Year-Olds Than in Older Kids, New Data Show

While protection against hospitalization is still strong, the vaccine offered almost no protection against infection, even just a month after full vaccination"

Which is pretty much exactly what I said. Take it up with them

You said limited effectiveness, effectiveness against severe disease remained as strong as ever.

You do know that's what the vaccines main purpose was?

You should know by now to read past the headline due to being caught like this multiple times previously.

Kids already have protection against severe disease just by being kids. In the trials there were no severe cases or deaths, in either group. Even this article says:

"The vaccine’s effectiveness against hospitalization declined to 73 percent from 85 percent in the older children. In the younger children, effectiveness dropped to 48 percent from 100 percent. But because few children were hospitalized, these estimates have wide margins of error.

The numbers for protection from infection are more reliable."

And stop with the lying about what we were told about the vaccine. It was meant to stop infection, the evidence of these statements is still out there.

I won't be getting my 5-11 year old vaccinated (with this vaccine, open to more traditional ones if they become available in this age group). Thats my choice as a parent. You do you.

Your claim was limited effectiveness, the paper disagreed with you, the rest you've posted is whataboutery based on your own misconceptions about vaccines that I doubt will change regardless of evidence. This has also been a pretty consistent pattern you've had with vaccine articles.

What I said:

"New study showing the pfizer vaccine isnt very effective at all against omicron infection in the 5-11 age group."

See how I specifically said "against infection"? I put it in bold there for you

What the study said:

"In the Omicron era, the effectiveness against cases of BNT162b2 declined rapidly for children, particularly those 5-11 years."

And

"VE against cases declined from 66% (95% CI: 64%, 67%) to 51% (95% CI: 48%, 54%) for those 12-17 years and from 68% (95% CI: 63%, 72%) to 12% (95% CI: 6%, 16%) for those 5-11 years."

That is consistent with my post. I think its you who has the "misconceptions" about what I'm saying. And also if you read the study, you would see that effectiveness against hospitalisation in that age group isnt as "strong as ever". It has declined quite a bit. Luckily for the vast majority of kids, the risk of severe illness and/or hospitalisation is extremely small to begin with.

• Advertisement

And smaller still after a vaccine 😁

The pandemic is all but over, we'll likely have annual vaccines but you're still spreading sh*te after the countless lives saved by them, not sure what your game is or who you're trying to convince at this stage, all a bit weird. The risk/reward for kids getting vaccinated is heavily on the vaccine side, that's irrefutable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

So the cohort that are at an infinitesimally small risk of severe illness, hospitalisation and death from the virus are at an infinitesimally small risk of severe illness, hospitalisation and death after getting the vaccine. Stunning logic you have there.

Anyone giving this current vaccine to healthy kids would want their heads examined.

The logic is that you reduce that small risk to an even smaller risk.

Following your logic, we wouldn't use most vaccines as the risk/reward for the SARS-COV2 vaccines is above that of many childhood vaccines.

That's what the science says.

But I'm sure you would get all huffy and offended if I implied you wanted to stop the early childhood vaccination program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Ah, so now we're comparing childhood vaccines which have been around for decades and who's effectiveness doesn't wane after a couple of weeks to these covid ones? You probably thought the swine flu vaccine was a good idea for kids at the time too.

Advertisement