Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

This madman theory is probably the optimal strategy for a country trying to remain relevant, a dictator trying to stay in power, an evil force invading another country. Those close to Putin say he cares about his country so let’s hope he cares enough not to use nuclear weapons, he knows full well it would mean wiping Russia off the map. Mutually assured destruction.

I read recently about how for years Putin worked hard on his image, trying to make out he was just an ordinary person like everyone else, a man of the people. Everything seen recently of him has been living in luxury in opulent palaces talking down to everyone. This can’t be going well for him, internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Put it this way - Russia have already shown a willingness to go to war over the paranoid pretext of something a country might do, i.e. to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO. On that form, they wouldn't need Poland to allow Ukraine to base aircraft there in order to have reason to declare war with Poland - they'd have already done so on the basis of Poland, and other countries, supplying Ukraine with weapons.

My thoughts are that it will take direct intervention by an EU/NATO country for Russia to declare war, there. The last thing Russia would be wanting to do at the moment is open up a second front considering the meal they're making of the present one.

Besides, Belarus are offering support to Russia, allowing their country to be used as a base for the invasion of Ukraine, but I don't think they're necessarily at war with Ukraine. At the very least, I have seen no involvement from Lukashenko other than his offering to host peace talks in Minsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

What are the chances of say Poland saying fcuk this and sending troops and jets, they've been here before and know what can happen if a lunatic like putin is given half a chance, if the likes of Poland did get involved militarily will other countries follow them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

so Putin is basically doing as he pleases while the EU and NATO stand by and watch. I think everyone understands the severity of the outcome should anyone intervene however do we just standby and let him do what he wants, where will he stop? Serious question but could he not just be killed? I don’t think any of his party would continue on this war without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Apparently it's a mistranslation

It's a 4 m/km convoy, 40 m/km from Kiev

• Advertisement

There's an element of that which is universal, but I was talking to an African fella yesterday and while he, like all of us, can see Putin for what he is --a bully and a thief-- what he cared about most was the reports of mistreatment of Africans by Ukranians and others in the region.

He stopped short of saying what I know some African-Americans would be saying: this war is some crazy white people sh1t. (Don't mention Rwanda, I suppose.)

The African Union has put a carefully worded statement out about it:

A twitter search for 'Africans' and 'Ukraine' is eye opening and provides another perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was a 3km convoy yesterday, then it was a 70km convoy so there's definitely something lost in translation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

He could be killed, but I think he's budgeted for the idea that he's an assassination target and probably takes every precaution it is possible to take.

If there were any credible hint of involvement by the West in his assassination, that could escalate rather than de-escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are kicking up **** because it is women and children only on the trains, and if any men are on the trains it is family. They seem to think it's the Titanic and they were in first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement

Well, I simply don't know the truth of it, or the answer. But the poster I was responding to was wondering about global solidarity and stories like this don't help. (I would prefer to see the type of solidarity AyeGer is looking for.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@MeepMeep2021 wrote:

He stopped short of saying what I know some African-Americans would be saying: this war is some crazy white people sh1t. (Don't mention Rwanda, I suppose.)

I suppose makes a difference from white people looking at wars in Africa and thinking: this is just some crazy African sh1t.

It's a tough one. Obviously it's wrong, it shouldn't be happening. There are reports that black refugees are being sent to the back of queues at the border and told that "Ukrainians" have priority - even if that person is Ukrainian.

Ukraine and Poland are still largely homogenous populations like Ireland before 2000, and we know that with that comes a lot of ignorance and assumption.

But how do you deal with those issues in the middle of a war? An EU order to Poland to treat all refugees equally? Great. That'll be really helpful when it gets passed in 6 months' time.

I would hope that Polish & EU leaders are hearing these reports and putting pressure on the military to sort it out, but to a certain extent it feels like a distraction during an emergency.

Like you say though, there is the potential for an easy win here; get some North African nations on board in condemning Putin, perhaps even getting involved in sanctions, and you've got a level of unity that the world hasn't seen in centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ignore, need more coffee

Well Algeria should be happy... they will be selling surplus gas to the Eu to make up any Russian shortfall.

Yes, it is messy. And saddening. And Russia is problem number one right now.

I'm interested in other perspectives though. Here's a clip from the BBC that is going around the Arab world like wildfire. Speaking about 'European people with blue eyes and blond hair" has not gone down well AT ALL (and that's not good because of the solidarity aspect):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Russian missile missed it's target of Kharkiv government buildings. A few more civilians hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I live beside one of the main border crossings from Ukraine into Poland.

I have interacted with both Indian and Africans.

Language is most notably a major problem.

At the moment any males in respective of nationality and are of able-bodied are not given top priority they are given food clothing ect but can wait till frail ingered sick woman children old are looked after.

At least see with my own eyes they have all been treated with respect and dignity.

Red Cross are trying to help them directly now.

As problem aroused with some males trying to force there way onto shuttle buses transporting woman and children to designated areas of support.

I believe all Indian students persons have be evacuated as private buses from England and persons dealt with them.

If Poland is allowing jets fly from its territory then Putin could send missiles or jets into Poland. This wont trigger Nato's article 5 as far as I understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I actually saw that. He did try briefly but eventually just let him ramble on and then the link was dropped. When someone wants to make an idiot of themselves you just leave them to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

How do you know that? Based on what would you make that assumption? Putin said there's Nazis in the Country, the west said there isn't. There is in fact. The Ukraine President said he is Jewish, how could he be a Nazi? The Nazis in the Country are being funded by another Jewish person so yes the President could in fact be a Nazi. I'm not saying he is. But I'm not saying he isn't either.

He has done nothing about the Nazi unit in the National Guard. Why? Not all seems as it first appeared. Ukraine is a corrupt Country. You might not like that. That's not my problem. Peace for the People, Russia must be stopped. But Putin isn't as weak as Members on here will have you believe. A lot on here are not half as concerned for the poor people of the Ukraine. Half are terrified of been nuked by Putin and I wouldn't blame them. But if they are as concerned about the Ukrainians as they say. Go and join the International Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

No surprise that people tend to feel more for their own tribes. This is human nature. The guy is basically saying that he's emotional seeing his own kind getting butchered. The Arabs are just the same in Arab media when they talk about M.E conflicts. They even differentiate which kind of Arab i.e shia/Sunni.

And like it or not, there is more shock at this happening in Europe. We're used to the M.E countries fighting it out.

• Advertisement

Not sure what these two are up to here. Contest here looks more like they disagree and they are trying to show some support for Putin.

Mr Fridman and Mr Aven will contest the spurious and unfounded basis for the imposition of these sanctions - vigorously and through all means available to them to reverse unwarranted and unnecessary damage to the livelihoods and prosperity of their many employees, customers, partners and stakeholders and the businesses that they and their partners have built up over the past 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Can't say I'm an expert on Vietnam but it wasn't a war solely in Vietnam as other superpowers took sides and participated.

Ukraine are alone. If the US joined them on the ground then I'd say fight as the US would hammer Russia. But Ukraine are going to be crushed, it's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Considering that part of modern Weestern Ukraine was actually in Poland until brutally invaded by Hilter & Stalin in collusion in 1939, I would suggest that as Putin has indicated that he does not consider the post war modern borders of Europe legitimate, why should the rest of Europe or the world?

Once he massacres hundreds of thousands of people all consideration of legitimate borders are an irrellevance & it's time for the world to act against this 21st century Hitler.

It's up to Ukraine who & what military forces from other nations can access it's territory not some tyrant who still claims to be acting for a legitimate cause, so justifying a perverted invasion of mass murder & destruction.

Slava Ukraine! Death to Putin!

Post edited by purplepanda on

Zero id say. It would result in nuclear strikes and the World won't risk that for a non NATO Country.

There's a level of heightened anxiety and panic in chaos of trying to get out of Ukraine. Women and children first is the de facto policy in such a sea of people and even at that there can be delays of up to 30 hours getting across. That kind of scenario must be unbelievably stressful and it is perfectly natural to think that other people are being favoured regardless of what tribe you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

It could even be all the missing supplies and fuel. 🙂

It's up to Putin to challenge it as such, which he really won't but it will feed his paranoia even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Fair play to you. I'm not tech savvy so what do I have to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Good idea about the Google Reviews (if it's not blocked in Russia) but maybe people should be using Google translate to put them into Russian before posting? Not sure how the review algorithm works but assume it displays reviews in Russian to people in Russia first (like here the english ones are displayed first vs. other languages)?

Worrying to see/hear about this convoy. Agree with the consensus that Putin has gone too far now to back out. Really horrific, heart goes out to all the brave Ukrainians and their families.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement