Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Stop the press!

Tubs turns down a preview (i.e. a freebie!) screening!!!!!

“The cover looks impressive”

You know what they say about judging things by the cover Bryan….,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Maskless in Seattle 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Bunt - word of the day. Sounds a bit like a word some might use to describe Tubs.

Tubs jealous of the Ukranians getting freebies.

Overpaid and entitled broadcasters need freebies too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He's gone from chicken kiev jokes to Ukraine expert in three days.

I just know if Ireland was invaded Tubs would step up to the plate and be there on the front line breaking legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Where is Yakov Smirnoff nowadays?

Happy St. David’s Day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Peaky Blinders.

Post punk.

Angular women.

Cillian Murphy acting masterclass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

....to likening people boarding trains to Poland to you know what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

AHH tubs raging ye man got 50 albums free, and a painting, he's like a spoilt child

Have been considering sending him some frozen chicken Kievs in the post.

Would it be anything but?

If Cillian Murphy was named Tommy Smith and he was from Leeds Tubs would never once have set eyes on Peaky Binders but also sight unseen would condemn it for excessive and gratuitous violence and decry the lack of kindness in the show.

I’ve nothing against Murphy, in fact I think he’s a very good actor - but praise him and his show on merit please, and not just because he’s Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Is there anything to be said for another mass? 🙏

😂😒

Jeez, I'd sooner listen to Tubs all day than a Dylan album, what a mumbling repetitive bore.

Reading out a made up text 😒🤔.

Someone asking a Russian parent if they've a gun... Really 🤔

Then saying we'll be back with much more after This..... break

At 2 minutes to 10. 😦😒🤔Spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's left his connemara fishing bunker , thrown on the flak jacket and helmet and gone straight to the front line!

• Advertisement

The bad Russian eggs must be shítting themselves at the thought of his leg-breaking skills and nuclear arsenal of kindness.

I was relieved to hear that he's going to set aside three hours of an afternoon to check out the new Batman film. I mean, where would we be as a nation if the DLB couldn't whittle away a few minutes of airtime telling us that he's "not a batman guy" and that the film was really long and difficult to follow, and also that the "cinematography was gorgeous" and that Colin Farrell and Barry Keoghan were "knockout". Where would we be at all!?

And the lashings of lemonade, And a gorgeous bucket of popcorn, that an OAP insisted on paying for so I thought it rude not to get the largest one that the cinema had I also added a large bag of jellies and malteesers , well they did offer 😒

, along with my ticket that someone else in the queue insisted on paying for when they saw the toyman.

It was delicious day

My sincere thanks to posters here today. It was a joy reading the comments! I have laughed out loud and have a tear of joy running down my left cheek - face, before you ask!

I don’t listen to the show anymore, but I sure enjoy this thread

I love cinema. After radio and basketball, it is the forum with my highest post count.

Wouldn't it be just delicious - even just once - to be able to go to a mid-week afternoon screening of a movie you’d like to see instead of spending 2 hours battling Dublin-traffic in weekdays and surviving on a sandwich in a rush to make a 7:45pm screening (as I did last Friday night when trying to get to the IFI in time to see The Godfather restoration) or having to wait until the weekend to see something you might want to see? And yet, for his entire adult “working” life Bryan has been able to go to a weekday afternoon screening of any movie that takes his fancy - think about that. Imagine having such freedom without a single financial worry?

And this whilst taking home hundreds of thousands per annum. Some life for some really isn’t it? Is it any wonder he’s so entitled and deluded.

I forgot to post this - not sure if it was yesterday or this morning - when Tubs was riffin’ about the salary of a dog walker being €30,000 in a year and how he talked about it being “a good wage”. The fella taking home twice that in a month (he did this for more than one year) describes €30K for others as a good wage? as Lord Dollymount would say - “Wow”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Was away for a few days but had a look at the thread there. Can someone let me know if the below summary is accurate or has it been exaggerated for the craic in the thread:

1. Monday.

Tubridy riffing glibly about the unfolding reprehensible events in Ukraine by stating that a desire to retreat to a cabin in connemara to go fishing was his immediate thoughts and reaction to this humanitarian disaster. Also then made some sort of and made some wise crack about chicken Kiev.

2. Tuesday

A change to a more sombre tone resulting from seeing some coverage of the horrors occurring to "people that look like us".

Joking aside can someone just confirm if that's an accurate summation, and if so what does the "people that look like us" comment mean. I'd like to know what's accurate before I react as I struggle to belive this can be true. Are the Segements still up online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't hear Monday, but I did definitely hear him say someone along the lines that the scenes on TV were frightening because they look just like us. He did use those words.

Not sure what he meant by it though.

@PieOhMy You might have the days wrong but the content you mentioned is correct. Have a listen to the news round up sections if you can stomach the first few minutes https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22066697/

It started on the 24th. He opened by joking about the weather and mid-term school break and then suddenly said "and now we know how to pronounce Kiev. I don't know what we're going to do with our chicken but the bottom line is that things have kicked off in Ukraine....it's been fascinating... it's the weirdest thing ever, it's like watching a war as television". There was weird laughing and the general tone of it was just odd. He also said "I know I'm being flippant and glib..." then went on about how war sirens gives him "the heebie jeebies" (he played the sound of a siren for added effect). He told people to book holidays while they still can and one of these days he's going to buy himself a house in Connemara.

The following day, you're right again. He was trying to sound profound and empathetic but again was careless as he spoke about having sympathy cos the Ukrainian people look like us. He said something similar again today surprisingly about the babies being like our babies if I'm not mistaken. It's the sound of someone who is trying to say the right thing but he keeps revealing his true nature which is pretty warped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I didn't hear it (I should be on Liveline) but I presume this is what he was talking about?

https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/GXVlfHihVpX7e8Gz8XA4cFpOXPxmOyBuEF-IpRXXomGFwITk1c0QFQhCvOnusFzm_16ctxLiaXoQgTdA7BerJi0p_2kz3gp24IWSgxvXJjcyiQuQs_kZTbpuVPI9X2Py-Xvf02UsExKkUjwH_6nfKRkLVxBVKw=s0-d-e1-ft#https://mcusercontent.com/f9d178cb9fab49210dea2cb05/images/c49d994a-8ffd-7c72-53ab-d88c9389a811.png There was an error displaying this embed.

We Stand With Ukraine

Hi Joe,

Like everyone, we are horrified by the appalling events unfolding in Ukraine. We all feel very powerless watching from afar.

To show our solidarity with the people of Ukraine, who are demonstrating such incredible bravery and fortitude, throughout March we will be donating 100% of all sales of our newly renamed Chicken Kyiv to the Irish Red Cross. This will include both in-store and online sales, with no cap on donations.

Red Cross teams are on the ground now in Ukraine and will continue their work to repair vital infrastructure, support health facilities, and assisting those displaced by conflict. 

If you are shopping in-store or online, please consider adding our tasty Chicken Kyiv to your basket and help us raise much needed funds for the Ukraine Crisis.

Team Fallon & Byrne

#StandWithUkraine

Single Serve Chicken Kyiv 230g

€7.95

Crispy on the outside, oozing with melting garlic butter in the centre. Add our creamy mash for a nostalgic treat.

Buy Now

Come and be Social!

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

You are receiving this email as you signed up to receive newsletter communications, entered a competition, or dined with us.

You can opt-out of any further communications by clicking the unsubscribe link.Copyright © 2021 Fallon & Byrne, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

11-17 Exchequer Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Want to change how you receive these emails?

update your preferences here

or unsubscribe from this list.

I don't listen to the show any more (it was affecting my mintal elf) but I do follow the thread. Foolishly, I decided to listen to the clip - I know, I know - but I couldn't take any more after about five minutes. It really is the most dreadful drivel, bordering on insulting and demeaning. He may like to think he's "riffin'" but in fact it is an unprepared outpouring of random thoughts, filter-free verbal diarrhoea which is entirely disconnected from the real world.

Heaven only knows what anyone with family or friends in Ukraine, or any Ukrainians living here who had the misfortune to be listening, must have thought. How he can segue from sirens (how bizarre to play the sound??!) to owning a house in Connemara is just staggeringly tone deaf. And as for the phrase, "they look like us...." I shudder to think what's in his head. A disgrace.

• Advertisement

I hope this is a joke or an attempt at humour of some sort? Is this really real, so to speak?

Pardon the unfortunate and unintended pun, but it is in very poor taste.

He meant they’re white, clearly. Now I’m not saying he’s racist nor do I think he is, it was that classic “speaking without thinking” (some might call it “riffin’”) thing he does due to a lack of preparation etc.

Just Dublin today, not “Dublin Ireland”. Intriguing,

Big Buke News later. Also intriguing.

Speaking of bukes, they were talking about “Literary Liars” this morning; namely people who claim to have read bukes (and specifically “The Classics”) they actually haven’t read at all. I can’t think of anyone who fits this description……..🤷‍♂️🙄🤣

Another intriguing. Bonkers.

“Tonnes” of requests to have a dedicated LLS to Ukraine. That’s the kind of support they need now alright.

Another amazingly articulate and well-written series of listener emails and texts that curiously all sound as if they were written by the same person/staff member……hmmmm. Intriguing.

“They have two children together…a boy and a girl as they’re called”

What else would you call them Bryan? Also, did you just assume their pronouns.

Bryan as busy on Wikipedia during the show as Joe Duffy is….

• Advertisement

A beautiful and gorgeous playing of the Ukrainian National Anthem.

And with that I’m out.

Yours in deliciousness,

ButtersSuki.

I agree. There's no other way to interpret that comment other than that they're white.

He's been trying to backtrack since then. This morning he says we feel more "ownership" of the war than other people because there are Eastern Europeans here. This is just bullshit. In reality the whole world is following events as much as we are. We're not more interested in it than other nations.

And the fawning over Zelensky now is nothing more than his latest little hobby horse, same way he used to fawn over Trudeau and Ardern. "I'm so impressed, blablabla". Just spouting easy, predictable crap. Zero substance to the fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Did Ryan mention Joe bidens speech? I'll have to listen back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Always gutted when I hear the first few bars of this song that it’s not ‘He Got Game’ by Public Enemy.

:(

Was it though? I found that quite painful, not at all beautiful given his intro to it, I was expecting something delicious but it sounded like a number of different instruments playing different tunes.

Ryan delighted that Keogh Crisps are increasing their out put. They are nice guys and Irish says he. I sense a free crisp hamper will be heading to Montose shortly. Keoghs have a deal with some airline (didn't hear which one) to sell their crisps on board but AerLingus should do a deal with them also to fly the flag according to our host.

I think Friday nights show is going to be beautiful...

Poppycock.

I’m incredibly proud to be Irish, but that doesn’t descend to promoting things just because they’re Irish. Tubs hyping of everything Irish is “bonkers”, not everything Irish is good, not everything Irish is the best in the world - the logic is “peculiar”.

You can bet your hoop he’ll be getting a delivery in the coming days, which he’ll either humblebrag about carelessly OR “forget” to mention when a producer tells him not to as the show has had complaints over his shameless shilling. “Friends of the show and all-round good eggs Keogh’s Crisps completely unexpectedly sent me in a hamper of crisps yesterday after I mentioned them on the show. How very kind of them.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I am actually flabbergasted at this.

As per the below Ryan has form for needing to be 'more careful in choice of words’ in the view of the bai in a complint relating to skin colour.

He will probably weasel out of it by saying that there are Eastern Euopeans in Ireland and so they look like 'us' - 'us' being residents of Ireland. Or else by saying that he noticed the people fleeing the bombs have 2 arms and 2 legs just like us.

In reality we all know he feels more sympathy, or much more likely was told to pretend that he feels any sympathy to seem like a normal person, and his brain picked out the fact that the residents of Ukraine are largely white as a reason that they should by sympathised with. As opposed to people who don't look like us in Ukraine or other war torn areas who don't matter by this reasoning.

Frankly it's just revealed the insincerity and fakeness of the man and actually how weird and inhuman he acts when trying to pretend to empthaise with his misery guests is because it's all fake.

He genuinely doesn't care or feel any empathy and is faking it by trying to act out what he thinks empty is and so comes across like an absolute ghoul making the sobbing guest and the viewer feeling awkward and unsettled.

Advertisement