Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A sober analysis of the first few days of this conflict:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Assessment on CNN from Petraeus - Its interesting but he outlines what he considers has gone wrong for the Russians during this campaign - suspects that the Russians may be actively looking for a way out of this mess. Where they can declare a success and move on.

He is clear that as an experienced military commander, there is no simple way for russia to win. Not without exhorting to extreme tactics which would further galvanize the population.

TBH i can only speak for myself. I would be of no use to the Ukraine. I suspect they are genuinely hoping that volunteers will have even modest military experience. And obviously the language barrier is another issue. I dont know really if many people in the west will volunteer. Expats are the most likely source of manpower

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They are talking about putting volunteers into language groups which makes sense

Agreed. All claims from both sides and all sources should be taken with a pillar of salt.

Its possible that the 'International Legion' callout is an attempt to open the door to clandestine military assistance/manpower - would not be without precedent

that said, expats, Russian dissidents, etc etc -- probably just a genuine hope that they can raise some divisions and keep the western border open -

This is horrible - truely watching this is situation unfold is very emotive.

yes that is one of the better/cogent analyses i have seen thus far - Cheers Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Rouble has lost 75% of its value against the US$ in the last decade - and 30% in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

When Finland was invaded in 1939 their tanks were destroyed as they entered narrow roads. Russia made a mess of it initially similar to now. The only thing is that they kept coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

None of us can be certain of any event unless actually a personal witness.

All otherwise are but stories told us, stories and claims to consider openly or accept without question or dismiss out of hand because of our own bias or limited knowledge.

Who knows? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

This London based checker site seems to be at least asking some questions of reports of supposed events on the ground, some used by national media like the BBC.

For examples

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Was sad listening the the radio this morning. An interview with a 23 year old Ukrainian living here traveling to Dublin airport with a couple of his friends to get home and take up arms. Their patriotism and courage has to be admired. He freely admitted to being scared but felt it is his duty.

Brief but informative article on Russia's recent threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

don't, trained millarty professionals do that. a proxy war has started using drones ,weapons etc.. if Ukraine falls to Putin and he's looking to Estonia then that's a different matter...as if you get shot in arm or such..your going to waste valuable medical resources in the field. NOBODY WHO DOES NOT HAVE FIELD EXPERIENCE SHOULD VOLUNTEER AT THIS STAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

..as if you get shot in arm or such..your going to waste valuable medical resources in the field. NOBODY WHO DOES NOT HAVE FIELD EXPERIENCE SHOULD VOLUNTEER AT THIS STSGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Interesting video (I thought) made by a British travel vlogger who made his way out of Kiev on Friday along with thousands of Ukrainians.

What struck me was how calm everyone was getting out. Very little pushing and shoving to get on what could well have been the last trains out of the city. In other countries people would be trampling over each other to get on trains in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It smacks of babies being thrown from incubators. The amount of propaganda people are willing to swallow if it aligns with their prejudices is frightening.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

This is a depressing analysis of the position we find ourselves in and how risky it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You believe that my sympathy for the Ukrainian people, under attack in their own Country by the military of a neighbouring fascist power, is because I'm prejudiced in favour of them?

Assuming your response to the above is in the affirmative, would you like to tell me some facts about Putin and Putin's Russia, that may bring balance to my perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭crushproof

No time for that chap, he went to Kyiv and Ukraine a week ago solely to get youtube hits. Someone who actually needed that train seat could have taken it. "This is how you survive on a refugee train" Absolutely disgusting that he is claiming he is a refugee.

Furthermore he's praised Putin before and seemingly has a history of shady activity of preying on poor young Russian and Belarusian women in the past. Also ran away from the UK after a rape charge.

Genuine Question: Has anyone seen any time tables on when the Ukraine can expect to receive Stingers and other equipment? These images of Russian Military Buildup are frightening - Just wondering on a time table - I know the earlier stuff has arrived but, the promised deliveries mentioned yesterday - any indication if any have been received?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I've no idea sadly. It looks like the Russian convoy has reached Kyiv unfortunately

ok. i havent seen it mentioned on the news that anything has started. just repeatedly mentioning that its miles long, and pictures of an airfield with lots of Helicopters (possibly hind gunships, as of yet no confirmation) - if they have reached Kiev then probably this time tomorrow it might begin. Its horrendous to consider this possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Fairly quickly

The nlaws the uk sent were there at least 2 days ago - according to Ukranian soldiers calling out Russian soldiers on social media they said they have thousands of javelins ready for their tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Are you advocating that the Ukrainian people just let their professional soldiers get slaughtered defending them, or that the country should have surrendered as soon as Russians crossed the border? I'm sure for many volunteers, they think there is as much risk getting shot/blown up by not getting involved (obviously doesn't apply to those returning from abroad).

It's a numbers game for Ukraine now, they need to use those numbers well. They are getting equipment and weapons from abroad, those are not any good without people to use them. Obviously there is a limit to what equipment/weapons volunteers can use, but volunteers doing certain tasks frees up soldiers for other things. There is plenty volunteers can do in terms of support; lifting/carrying, sourcing/preparing food, logistics/communications (they are even using Starlink), small arms fire, etc.

How many million Ukrainians are there between 18 and 60? They are also armed to the teeth and access to western intelligence, with good strategy and leadership they can put up one hell of a fight. I'm sure seeing their countrymen take up arms alongside them is an enormous moral boost for their trained soldiers, the "we're all in this together" spirit is vital in times of adversity. Ukraine needs to hang in there and hope that domestic/international pressures force a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is it true? Have the Russians bombed the ukranian Government building?

I feel so sad and sorry for poor Ukraine being attacked by a corrupt army and a deranged mad man.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The texts were a claimed prank by 2ch, who were all in celebratory mode yesterday over their fabrication being read out live at the UN.

In other news, President Zelensky yesterday announced they would be releasing prisoners with combat experience & arming them to fight. A bold move - you would hope that prisoners' patriotism outranks their desire to escape or loot. It also doesn't bode well for the situation on the ground, if it has come to releasing prisoners to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A government administration building in Kharkiv was hit by a Russian missile this morning.

It's clear that Putin has no interest in anything but total annihilation of the Ukrainian identity.

You don't attack government buildings unless your end goal is complete dominance.

In terms of releasing prisoners to fight, this is relatively common, and not necessarily a sign of desperation. The prison governance has final say about who can and can't be released. They don't send murderers and rapists off with guns to fight, but people up on shorter sentences for theft, assault or petty crimes that the prison believes will be of good use. Often the deal is that if they enlist and return after the war, their sentence will be commuted.

For prisoners who just want their life at home in Ukraine back, it's a win-win deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The cowards also attacked another hospital a cancer hospital this time I see. I just wish Nato would say enough is enough and just send boots in. I even think it's time the west launched Nukes at Moscow before they do to us just Nuke Putin or bomb the **** out of him I don't care. He is deranged madman, is dangerous and needs to be killed sooner rather than later.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is idiotic, you are calling for global nuclear war, the end of civilisation. He cannot be reasoned with, a nuclear strike will just bring about MAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Great interview with Fiona Hill - she knows Putin fairly well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Take a breath. If any attack is conducted by either the EU or NATO, or originates on the soil of those institutions' constituent countries ... that's it. Game over. We're in full WW3. The gloves will be off and Paris, Berlin, Warsaw - maybe even Dublin if Putin wanted to make it clear nowhere was safe - will be bombed at dawn and if we're really lucky, the ordinance wouldn't be nuclear. Putin is trying to provoke us so he can justify escalating this thing, and we cannot rise to it. He must be stopped but we need to try everything up to boots on the ground. We're doing everything we could possibly do and if Germany has ignored decades of post WW2 policy so it can send arms to Ukraine, it's as serious as cancer already.

• Advertisement

Prisoners will still have families, friends, houses, and property. 1 combat veteran would be worth several armed civilians

Yeah risky move but Ukraine know that they need to slow the invasion long enough for sanctions to really bite and Russia starts to run low on materials, otherwise the prisons would just be Russian anyway

Advertisement