Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Clampers don't always look at the tax disk. Had hassle a few years back trying to stop them clamping a Renault Zoe I was driving. I had to stand in front of the wheel to block them putting the clamp on, and he was refusing to look at the tax disk.

I think that one might belong to the guy who runs Fairview Motors.

A few more pictures of the piers at the estuary. The rebar at the top would suggest it's for tying in with a further platform at some stage, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I somehow missed that post!

It's not that easy to find in a google search. Everything in Ireland takes years to get done.

• Advertisement

I noticed there's a few traffic monitoring systems in place along the cycle path in Clontarf, over the weekend. Spotted the first one around the causeway, and then noticed a few more along the route into town.

Do these give feedback on time of day, as well as number of users/journeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

New cycle lanes and one way system in Phoenix Park are, in my humble opinion, brilliant and far exceeding my expectations. The only flaw is not enough 30k signs up.

(In contrast, I would add - bit fed up with Griffith Avenue cycle lane. They have put so much effort into the junction at Ballymun Road. But further up, especially towards Grace Park, its full of leaves, sticks and mud, actually to the point of being hazardous; in addition the road surface in parts is brutal, and then it stops fairly abruptly presumably waiting to be extended. This is two years on. The luas was built quicker).

They have cameras mounted watching all the junctions as well. Give's this kind of data counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yep they’re usually used to monitor peak times as well as total numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The park is great, very few cars now, even at peak hours.

Post edited by cgcsb on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

From a quick play around with Google Maps, it looks like they're routing people around the park instead of through it by default for most journeys now. I'd imagine this is making a decent impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Commuters through the park are hardly following Google Maps? Still, I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

I passed fairview park yesterday, and the footpath was covered in cars, as is usual for the weekend. Plenty of spaces in the streets nearby, at €1 per hour. I presume people just don't want to spend a few euro. Can't understand locals who oppose a cycle path, yet have no issue with cars blocking pedestrian spaces. Will there still be the same issue once the new path goes in? The Gardai clearly have no issues with the illegal parking at the moment, so why would they change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

That type of FCPN is non intercept, you could find that the Garda driving by could have a field day without even stepping out of the car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can't understand locals who oppose a cycle path, yet have no issue with cars blocking pedestrian spaces.

Quite often, those who take up the illegal spots are the business owners who want somewhere free to park.

The opposition groups (who are usually led by a local business) also trump up the negatives from a cycle path simply to keep the status quo. This negative vibe is often picked up by commuters and others who simply don't want their routine affected or who don't read the facts and are happy to absorb the negative soundbites. In terms of Fairview, I saw this with the videos on Facebook whre groups from both Fairview and Clontarf were putting out all forms of nonsense (and they must have known full well that their claims were bullsh1t). The problem is that it is effective in drumming up opposition. I even saw friends of mine agree with their claims - one friend who often cycles questioned the need for a new cycle path given the existing one going through Fairview park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Holy sh*t it's actually happening. I think it might even be too late to get Mannixed at this stage. I still can't believe I may be able to cycle home through North Strand and Fairview in a segregated cycle lane, never thought I'd see the day.

I'm so excited about this. And it looks to have less disruption on motor traffic, and a shorter timescale than previously planned.

I've spoken to a few of the contractors over the past few weeks and they seem like decent people, looking forward to project!

There's still people in local groups moaning that the path through the park is enough, and nothing needs to change. 🤣

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably these people will also be the ones complaining about cyclists on the path in the middle of a public park when people are out for a walk, etc.

They think the path through Fairview park should be split into pedestrians and cyclists (as it used to be), and also expanded, which won't lead to any trees being removed. It's literally restricted on each side by trees. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Serious question which I have asked in a few places and nobody answers.

is there some reason (perhaps in the City Council's hivemind) why cycle paths have to follow existing roads?

Surely a better and safer solution would be to have the bicycles away from large amounts of vehicular traffic as much as possible? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sure, where an alternative route exists - canals, rivers, parks - they're already doing these, but in a lot of places there isn't an alternative to going along the road.

You don't have many options. In cities, you'd have to deal with private ownership and cpo of lands. It's just not viable.

That's why canalways, rivers and parks are used, as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yes and no, unfortunately the more you separate cycle paths from activity the more you lose out on passive surveillance. In the case of Fairview park for example, I most likely wouldn't even use a lit cycle path through the park at nighttime for security reasons. It's a bad state of affairs when the mess that is the roadway there is preferable to a quiet route but that's the reality.

Similarly with routes along canals etc, there have been multiple examples along the grand canal where people had their bikes stolen along quieter stretches. Then when you think about trying to create an option for people who are already less likely to cycle (women, children, older people) it becomes an even bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I would prefer the final three sections went thru Fairview Park. Plenty of room for a segregated lane from park pedestrians. I'm very comfortable cycling on busy roads but know many who are not...and are reluctant to take up cycling as a result. Insisting on the road option thru the Strand road area I think is self defeating for the cycling lobby as it will be seen as absolutist by the the petrol heads. ..and more importantly by neutrals. Sure... security is an issue as it certainly is on the Royal Canal or parts of The Phoenix Park etc but that's a generalised debate that can be tackled thru cameras and lighting etc ,,,and the general low visibility of the cops in vast swathes of Dublin yet somehow they were everywhere during the COVID clampdown dishing out fines? Cycling yesterday from Sandyford to the Docklands, I came across a completely new park to me in Ringsend. A pleasant surprise but I suppose there are some who would not venture near it out of fear. Pity ..but I can understand it. Btw looks like the Port are indeed putting in cyclepaths when I was there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’m sure this has been answered before but I’ve lost track at this point. These works are part of BusConnects, yes?

Therefore the presence or absence of a cycle track through the park is irrelevant to the major work that needs to be done?

Those issues you highlight are not reason enough not to build this infrastructure. Those are issues with crime and should be fixed through the appropriate means.

I can't remember either, but there's been no mention of bus connects recently, in conjunction with this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Very happy about this but I'm not hopeful it'll really improve things. Fairview's footpaths and cycle lanes are currently utilised as free parking, despite ample, and most often half empty, legal on-streer parking in the area. Would be a shame to see this built and just become a car park anyway.

• Advertisement

I'd say there's zero chance that cars will be allowed to treat it the same once the works are completed. Obviously the Gardaí have been instructed to allow illegal parking for the past decade at least. But with the amount of investment that's going into it, DCC won't let it be wrecked.

There's one shop owner who is going mad about the words, but especially the four parking spots being removed across the road from his shop. Says elderly customers have no option other than to drive. I don't know how they can manage to cross 6 lanes of traffic though 😂

Advertisement