Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Worth noting.

The researchers also talked to a cross-section of teachers from the schools. Generally, they reported that mask-wearing had gone more smoothly than expected, with some upsides, such as children feeling included and playing their part.

“They also noted that general Covid measures such as social distancing and the use of pods in the classroom have had a far greater impact on children’s physical, emotional, social and educational development than masks but that the longer-term impact on social cohesion and learning progress for English as a second language or quieter students is not enough to support continuing with the mask-wearing.”

Also worth noting that the mandate ended today. Wear your mask if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Leave him be, who cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

There were children who didn't wear masks that were bullied when masks came in for schools. You didn't seem to care much then about bullying.

Schools have bullying policies nowadays, so I'm sure they can handle it.

Could also be worse for the kids in question. They might have grown up to be hypercondriacs and ended up continually posting on a thread somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Surely it's a health and safety issue if masks are still recommended but aren't worn?

• Advertisement

Just my observations of stupid people today.

Nothing changed for us in work. Worked with someone all day wearing masks. On the bus home, literally a 10 minute journey for us both and they wouldn't wear a mask on the bus. Makes no sense whatsoever. It wouldn't have killed them for 10 minutes.

Then on the same bus there were two people with masks under their noses. Like, why bother, just join the rest of them and take the masks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's funny though that people not wearing masks (or not correctly) are stupid, yet folks like yourself want your equally valid choice to be respected and without ridicule.

Can't have it both ways!

You really need to get off your keyboard. 10 minutes on a bus wouldn't have killed someone after working all day wearing masks. 10 minutes journey, it wasn't that much at all.

Why bother wearing a mask if the nose is sticking out on a day it's not even mandatory. It's absolutely pointless.

Maybe your colleague was sick of wearing the mask all day (I'm assuming it's required in your workplace?) and just couldn't wait to take it off at the end of their shift?

I agree with you on the second part actually but that's been a feature throughout the last 2 years. Token efforts because of the mandatory requirement without any real effort or concern behind it. Give it a few days and those same people probably won't bother at all when more people around them aren't either.

But you didn't answer my point.. Why are you allowed call people stupid for not wearing them (properly) but yet get so obviously annoyed about it or being called out on it?

You're not the only one though in fairness but there definitely seems to be a real resentment to not just those who are happily moving on now, but especially those who were never as "concerned" in the first place.

I bet all of those "stupid people" didn't care less that you wore your mask.

You should just be happy that you are given a choice to wear yours.

The vast majority of pro maskers would remove that choice if they had their selfish way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If I went to work with my underwear ony head, I'd probably be called stupid as well. If you're going to wear one when you don't have to, at least wear it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Noticeably a lot less people wearing masks on the buses today. We'll be back to normal by next week I'd say.

I don't think you got my point, which was the only reason they were likely wearing it at all was the legal requirement rather than any real concern about Covid (because otherwise they would wearing it correctly, right?)

Now that the legal requirement has been removed, it's likely they either didn't know this, have been accustomed to the routine, or are waiting for enough others to remove theirs first before they do (The Irish don't like to stand out as a rule).

But as Fandymo says above, the likelihood is that the only ones still wearing masks by Paddy's Day will be those who still see some value in it.

It is.

People not wearing masks now are ignoring public health advice.

Somehow though they ALL know better.

I saw quiet a few more than expected. Imagine a few are still undecided.

Thought yesterday would have flushed the mask willy's out as I always *in general* viewed it as virtue signaling, or lazy, ignorant and misinformed.

Irish comms for the most part did not list breathing as a mode of transmission. So some of the nose pokers may feel that nose poking is okay as it protects others as particles are spread through speaking loudly, coughing sneezing.

A drop in mask communication/education could well be responsible for some nose poking.

It's better than no mask.

Your crstyal ball needs a rub. Totally incorrect.

What's your definition of back to normal on the buses btw?

What if my colleague was sick with covid? They complained about having a chest infection earlier in the day. Still people don't understand the isolating with symptoms part. Wore a mask in work and took it off getting in the bus with symptoms.

Yesterday 15 years ago Micheál Martin launched the Business Continuity Planning(a booklet and checklist) – Responding to an Influenza Pandemic.

Ten case studies "based on real companies" but "fictionalised in some respects" were produced. Food processing, IFSC company, Software, Retailer, Medical Devices, Computer Printing Services, Accountancy Practice, Miling/Animal Feed, Third Party Logistics and an Engineering SME.

Of the ten case studies, two mentioned masks, I have included them below.

“My department will continue to work with the development agencies and business representative organisations to ensure that we have a coherent and planned approach to managing the risks for this not improbable disruption to enterprise activity.”

I'd take about 90% people with common sense unmasked as normal on a bus, you'll always have about 10% nutters on any given route.

Pubs are packed and back to normal, I'm looking forward to Paddys Week where I have Fatboy Slim on the 16th where the place will be rammed with hot, sweaty, maskless people having a great time, Paddys Day on 17th with pubs rammed and live music blasting, Cheltenham Gold Cup Day on the 19th where again the pubs and bookies will be packed with revellers, Ireland-Scotland on the 20th and then Sunday 21st to relax, with a lot of Cheltenham profit hopefully.

What you would take and "back to normal" are not the same thing. 90% is not "back to normal" which you predicted would happen next week. So your back tracking on your take already, I don't care about hearing about some shesh you've planned.

With that sort of prediction you might be better off avoiding gambling on Cheltenham Gold Cup Day or any other day of the week. You sound like the sort of person who looks for their money back if they loose.

You have inferred that that those not following current public health guidance have common sense and that those following public health guidance by wearing masks on a bus are nutters, which is bonkers and offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

"What you would take and "back to normal" are not the same thing." - has Covid fogged up your brain, or could you literally not remember asking me for 'MY DEFINITION' of back to normal a mere 36 minutes ago?? "What's your definition of back to normal?" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My definition may not align with yours or anyone else's, but it's still mine. 🤣🤣🤣

Brain fog from COVID is not a laughing matter and you'd do well to remember that.

Might be best if you include your definition(if it's going to defer from reality) with your predcitions aswell in future crystal ball readings.

So you predict masking on buses will be at 10% next week.

Wrong.

It doesn't bother me at all if someone chooses to go without a mask at all. Our government made a balls if things and their messaging, along with stupid rules that make no sense, one rule for one group and another rule for another group like bus drivers don't have to wear masks but passengers do type of rules. So I don't blame people at all.

What I do have an issue with is for example the person I work with, both of us wore masks all day and took a 10 minute bus journey where he didn't even bother with a mask. Like, 10 minutes!!! That and he had symptoms which he and the workplace ignored. There's no advice that if you're tired after work, you can hop on a bus maskless, they're still recommended.

And as for the nose poking out, like why bother? They're not protecting themselves or anyone else around them and on a day they're not mandatory.

Was in a shop this morning and I had two people tell me I didn't have to wear a mask anymore.

So much for wear a mask if you want shyte talk.

There are always nutters on the bus, from the drugs/alcohol etc they get free passes ffs. I guessed at about 10%. I'm fairly confident in that prediction. Big difference even this morning on both buses. A lot less mask wearers after only 1 day.

No different than people being told they had to wear a mask previously.

Just say thanks and do what's right for you

No different?

Ah that's your medical science degree showing through again.

Did they aggressively ask why you were wearing a mask when you didn't have to? Or did they proffer, what they probably thought was helpful advice, and just say it in passing as a throwaway comment??

If it's the former I can see why you'd be annoyed, the latter, then you've little to be complaining about.

• Advertisement

You really seem to have an issue with people who don't agree with you, especially when it comes to masks.

That is what I referred to previously.. this confrontational attitude towards those who aren't as concerned as you are or don't value masks the way you do - complete with childish nonsense.. "pram, toys everywhere!" comes to mind!

It really seems that my thought that some would really struggle to let go and re-join normal society was spot on if posts like this are any indication.

Advertisement