Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

As far as I remember, they have their own Russian problem the Kurile Islands? And they may well be on Vlad's "unfinished business" hit list.???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

When the swiss get involved, especially in the financial world, you know that it has gotten way beyond serious......

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

She's lived in the UK for about 25 years, but told me she only watches Russian news because western news is propaganda. I was quite taken aback by how non-integrated she was. I mean on the face of it she's integrated into British life, has a job etc - but when I got really talking to her, she amazed me. Then she dropped the "we loved Stalin too". It's at that point I changed the conversation to the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Japanese navy would put some serious hurt on the Russian one. It's no joke and is tooled up the eyeballs with cutting edge equipment.

Between China acting the pr*ck with Taiwan and Russia, we could see the era of Japanese pacifism come to a end. Still under the US nuclear umbrella, but with a far more aggressive posture.

Crazy that we're even talking about this, but this is the genie Putin has let out of the lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What makes you think he cares? If he's going down anyway, why wouldn't he want to take half the globe with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Again, as has been pointed out numerous times in the thread, there is a chain of command for launching nukes and not necessarily everyone in that chain may feel that Putin's political demise necessitates blowing up the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

The west is a bit of a shambles. It can be quite hypocritical too.

But nothing, nothing can justify this onslaught on a country that did not attack Russia in any way. Ukraine were not on the verge of joining NATO. Not anywhere near it. Ukraine gave up their nukes. What more of a conciliatory sign of peace would Russia need, than its neighbour giving up their nuclear protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Note which conflicts you cherry-picked. No mention of the millions killed in e.g. the second Congo war, the Soviet-Afghan war, the Iran-Iraq war..

There's already a thread to project these types of views of the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Starting to look very ominous now for the Ukranian army. I think many of us (not every one here) have been routing for the Ukranian army, and were delighted that they have faired so well against the Russian aggressors.

But unfortunately it was only ever going to slow them down, I really hope now that they have a way out to retreat to western areas in Ukraine and maybe regroup somewhat.

As for Kyiv, ive no doubt that moscow will soon claim to be in control their and will be trying to help to "restore democracy back to Ukraine"

However I think Russia is going to face fierce resistance from many of the civilain population and it may come to the stage that they may need to find an out via the peace talks, they will end up with concessions for the breakaway eastern areas and will probably only agree to cast iron guarantees of Ukraine never joining NATO or the EU.

Maybe that might be enough for Ukraine to keep their Independence from any puppet Russian regime, unfortunately Ukraine will always be held at gunpoint from Russia if that comes to pass. But who knows, this is just my uneducated guess of what might happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe the population is less than 3 million and 400,000 have taken up free Russian passports in only 8 years ,so I don't think there is massive support as made out by Russia and several people on here who seem to believe a huge part of the population of Ukraine wants to be Russian bases off their opinion only

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wasn't trying to set you straight. I said the storytelling is very different. The implication is that this could have been avoided by not dismissing Russian concerns over the last 30 years.

I didn't say I buy their storytelling any more than I buy our own side's storytelling. It's just interesting to hear th ther side give their views, but not as a strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Exactly akin to the invasion by the US of Iraq for the magical WMD, all in the name of the petrodollar

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ukrainian presidents translator really choking up on Sky

That convoy could be wiped out pretty easily in an hour ,the further it moves into ukraine the more likely it will be targeted and one missles start hitting there is no where Run to retreat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That can't be true? If aircraft were taking off from Polish territory and attacking Russian positions that is an act of war by Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭roverjoyce

Is anybody wondering is this a move by Putin to spread the Russians around Europe by getting Ukraine into the EU and no visa requirements

Around 10 million of Russian ethnicity are in Ukraine and will have free access around Europe now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see there's mention of Russian "draft dodging" in this article, and seems to be reminiscent of a lot of Americans not wanting to go to Vietnam all those years ago.

Ukrainian tractor 'steals huge Russian tank' in footage shared by MP - Daily Record

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe. This might well be worse than the things The West has done in recent years. Worse than Iraq and Afghanistan, worse than Bosnia, worse than overthrowing several governments in South America. It might be worse than those things, but it's not really much of a high horse to sit on while we pat ourselves on the back.

We can see this as good guys vs bad guys if we want. But in reality it's just one side vs the other.

Its an interesting one ,as long as they are Ukrainian aircraft and pilots there for Poland isn't attacking , but if Russia or Belarus decide to hit Poland article 5 gets triggered

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

They're the ones using the War in Ukraine on social media and and elsewhere to try and push the idea that the shortages and the high price of natural gas are all down to the current conflict and nothing to do with the ongoing gp policy of stopping gas importation and exploration.

It has already been recognised by practically everyone that counts in the EU (except our own gshites that is) that natural gas is needed at least in the short term to help stabilise the problems of renewable energy production which is woefully unreliable and which even more of the same renewables won't help with that unfortunately.

And what do our own green party do? Shut off the possibility all exploration of natural gas here and gloat about it Its quite clear the green party don't give a fcuk about anyone and that was made even clearer when two of own green party comrades MEPS decided to abstain from condemning Putins invasion of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Zelenskiy looks absolutely shattered. An absolute warrior of a human. Can't even begin to imagine the turmoil and pressure.

I never had a huge amount of time for Elon Musk, but much respect to him for playing a part in keeping Ukraine connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

of course , I cherry picked them - I was making a point to counter arguing the nonsense that Putin was the new Hitler and to highlight (I was highlighting....see....) that our friends in NATO (in particular Uk and USA) were far from the heroes we (and our media / Politicians) make them out to be .

I didn't go into stalin, mao or other CIA secret operations in South/Central America either.... or Somalia or Rwanda - plenty skipped over... I'm not listing conflicts in the 20th / 21st century - you can watch the history channel for that - cos I'd be here all week.

If the citizens came out onto the streets and bridges in their 100,000s in the capital and stayed there and publicised that fact, what would the Russians do?

(I guess desperate times call for desperate ideas - and given the resistance to date by the Ukrainians it’s not beyond the realm of possibility)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You may be right on this one.

Who knows what'll happen in the short-term, but in the long-term Putin has done irreparable damage to Ukrainian relations. Instead of bringing Ukraine closer into the Russian orbit, his actions will only push the country towards the EU. What's worst for Russia is that for the first time since I can't remember, Europe is completely united in support of Ukraine, even Orban's Hungarian government has backed Ukrainian membership to the EU.

My guess is that at some point Ukraine will become an EU member and this war will accelerate the process. It's hardly a difficult choice for the average Ukrainian to make. Do you go with the lads killing countrymen and destroying your cities, or the lads who are taking in your refugees and providing financial/military support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Yeah people might find comfort in the lesser of two evils but I don't personally. It's not good vs evil, it's one ideology and view of the world vs another.

I always wonder about the support Putin has. I hear it's fairly strong but it's gotta be near impossible for outsiders to gauge. In the Duma election they didn't break 50% I don't think. Of course you could argue they just do enough rigging (why bother with 70%?) But it would make one think that he doesn't have majority support by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PJ2022

Poland have confirmed they are donating jets, I'm not sure of how they will be delivered, maybe Ukraine pilots will travel to Poland to collect. Can't imagine the Polish airforce will fly them in.

Edit: Yeah they are collecting them, can't post links but it's on a good few news sources

• Advertisement

I imagine it’s similar to just US planes using Shannon as a refuelling depot?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement