Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Aiming high. I think they'll end up being accepted into the EU. By aiming high, they may be pushing for slightly lesser realities. i.e "we want NATO air cover" Zelensky knows that isn't happening, but forces the west into a second best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Accepting them right now would be the acts of a saboteur. Open EU border with Russia.

War torn country needing billions and billions to rebuild.

Millions of Ukrainians fleeing to other EU countries.

EU country in a war with Russia in Crimea and eastern Ukraine.

I think they are keeping the Russian Soldiers in the column approaching Kyiv because if they didn't they desert.

It isn't quite a sitting target but a slow moving target and not sensible from a tactical perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You mean we shouldn't pay attention to those darned EU westerners. Listen to mother Russia instead. Much better!

Yeah ok eitherway looks like the application is in and is under consideration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, they tell the story about how The West guaranteed Gorbachev thst Nato wouldn't expand East at all. Then, after they expanded east, they told the Russians they were fools to accept The West's word that they wouldn't expand nato eastwards. (Supposedly the US records show that "we" did make them that promise).

From their point of view, the Nato expansion is a serious issue. We dismiss that concern, partly because it contradicts our narrative in which we're the hero and Russia is the bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

UN seeking urgent aid for Ukraine. Hope we see them sending it in soon.

Will be dangerous, fully expect (UN member) Russia to label them as "terrorists/Nazis/etc" and start attacking them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm aware of the Russian stance, and it has no basis in objective reality. It's a deeply held institutional paranoia within the Kremlin about the 'intentions of the West' that has a long tradition within Russian political thought. It has and had no basis in the late 20th century or early 21st century.

The only thing Nato threatened and continued to threaten was to stymie an unstable Russia's ability to coerce, bully and politically intimidate neighbouring states.

Who here would put their hand up now and say Poland / Estonia / Bulgaria / Latvia made a mistake by joining Nato? They didn't, they preserved their states and democracies from a paranoid crpto-fascist creep that would 100% be militarily and politically bullying them if they hadn't joined.

We on a windy rock on the Atlantic far away from Russia can maybe afford to do a Hyde Park speakers corner hand-wringing about Nato - Central and Eastern European states don't have that quaint luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Russian nuclear doctrine is different to most countries. Most countries with nuclear weapons have tactical warheads, designed to destroy vast areas, thereby being a credible deterrent. Russia also has strategic nuclear warheads that they can use to target smaller objectives like military installations and infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The number of nukes doesn't mean much. Once one is sent off, all hell breaks loose. We're all doomed then.

Nuclear plants could themselves be targeted sending radiation levels throughout Europe through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

The ex Yugoslav countries were never part of the Eastern Bloc

Slovenia

Croatia

Montenegro

North Macedonia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ever think the reason they joined NATO was because they were afraid of a time like this where the Russian bear would want to reconquer them and put in another puppet regime to last another 40 odd years of repression.

Some of these states didn't exist pre 1939, but a fair few did and remembered first being conquered and subjugated by Germany and then supposedly liberated and subjugated by USSR.

In the case of the Baltics and Eastern Poland they got the privledge of being first conquered by USSR and then liberated by Germany.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He's nothing more than a Putin bootlicker, f-him. If they are stupid enough to start a shooting war with anyone else the Russian invasion forces in Ukraine would be obliterated. The amount of modern air assets that could be brought to bear on the Russian ground forces in the Ukraine would be eye watering and they have been tracking every piece of hardware since they crossed the border last Thursday morning.

Another "Russia is great" merchant. He left out the "Russia is great at bombing hospitals and civilians".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I suppose if it comes to it, we'd try to destroy their nuclear weapons and they'd try to destroy ours. Preferably they'd want to destroy them before they launch. So having loads of weapons and loads of launch sites probably increases your chances of actually launching more of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You could try that against other countries but Russia would detect that.

Maybe you could declare part of Western Ukraine \ Lviv a safe haven city, but it would mean say not "NATO" but 'EU\Polish\Czech' troops going in on the ground like UN blue helmets.

After all, Putin hasn't declared war on Ukraine, he says he is there to remove the Kiev government and protect ethnic Russians in the east... so this is just to prevent a humanitarian refugee crisis.

But even then, the risk of it escalating is too much.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

hashtag both sides. I mean are they still going with that narrative, anything on RT now seems to be about Ukranian internal issues and less about NATO. The basic premise doesn't make sense though. Russia was annoyed at NATO expansion so they want it to expand even more? If NATO expansion led to inevitable war then you would expect some manner of actually hurting NATO would be logical instead of running the world's biggest advertising campaign for them.

Many in the west protested and argued against the Iraq invasion. What % went to prison vs those protesting the war in Russia? I am not saying the west is perfect and there is much I would change if I could. Especially with regard to US foreign policy. However there is a massive, massive difference in scale in the problems in Russia and in the west. The west isn't the hero but there is suddenly a strong overlap between stopping Putin from invading more countries and their own interests.

You don't need a degree in international relations to have an opinion. Otherwise no one would be able to comment on pretty much anything ever. People should be open to new ideas and other opinions though. Especially when presented with facts when they are not experts on a subject (this is directed at anyone in anything, not you in particular).

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Russia's advantage lies in being a massive land mass and having seemingly good air defences. I mean I'm hoping their nukes run out of fuel on the way to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We know about blood sacrifices in this country. If the Russians are obliged to bring massive force onto Kyiv in order to subdue the army & population, we'll be in a situation of genocide. At which point surely anything is possible, including a rapidly deployed UN 'peace keeping' force in name. That has to be part of the Ukrainian game plan, key question is how far Putin and his generals are prepared to go, they've stuck their necks well & truly out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm thinking out loud here but I'm just wondering could Putin's saving grace be the fast moving news cycle and western apathy once things die down a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Putin must be delighted with these absolute tools!! Boyd Barrett Murphy and Co need to crawl under a fûcking rock and stay there!!

If they wanted a guarantee then sign a treaty (preferably with mutual nuclear reduction - which are treaties Russia welch on regularly btw). An en passant "guarantee" to the leader of a state that is now extinct is not a treaty.

The Russian account of the "guarantee" is a sexed-up exaggeration of events designed to buttress the Russian pity-party, and a blow by blow account of why the Russian stance is bullsh*t was posted earlier on in thread. If they were so damn concerned about Eastward expansion, sign a damn treaty with iron-clad security guarantees for your neighbours. Look at the Budapest memorandum and the joke the Russians made of that - so I have zero time for the Russian state tearing up the security of Europe off the back of puffed-up account of something that was allegedly said in a private meeting to the leader of an extinct state that is not the Russian Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Why are Ukraine not attacking the Russian convoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Interesting capsule summary of Ukrainian leaders of the Soviet Union. The article doesn't mention it but Leon Trotsky was also Ukrainian.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So why is the EU seen weak? We can destroy them aswell, even if they might be quicker use them.

Is it the EUs policies and very conservative political decisions that have us looking weak ?

Also, for all the talk of the Eu being a weak bloc (from divisions of opinions and army POV), is it not possible that this could actually galvanise the eu to step up its own deterrents? Certainly Putin appears to of provided a common enemy that’s uniting more then one would of thought.

I presume the worst in this and while you are correct that there’s savage propaganda going on, Putin definitely is feeling threatened. And this would imply that he really didn’t expect this response and he’s finding it difficult to accept. He’s doubling down with his dictator rhetoric and using language nobody has ever heard.

Some people are saying “Hes been saying this all along”. When did he last threaten nuclear retaliations?

Maybe the west has really underestimated his goals and ignored him, but maybe Putin underestimated the west and this is the only way to unite west. In many cases a common foe is the best think for a cause. This could potentially lead to a stronger Europe. I know the opposite could be the case but I’m just not sure how anybody (even those who know Putin really well) could say that Putin would of honoured any deal regarding the Baltic states.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ukraine is a decade or more from EU membership. It requires Ukraine to align with all existing EU laws and develop institutions which can and will implement them. The process of disentangling itself from EU legislation was so complicated the UK simply copy and pasted it to UK law and decided they would work on it over time. All that can be done is a symbolic gesture.

I used to not mind RBB so much, but he's making an utter clown of himself on the Ukraine crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Unfortunately even in the case of hard evidence of genocide being committed, I dont think the Un or anyone else will get involved. Putin has his hand on that red button and it means he can practically do what ever he wants in Ukraine, only Russia themselves will be able to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Last week tonight did an excellent section on Ukraine, Putin etc.

Small section is on YouTube but well worth a watch of the whole thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement