Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Defo agree about the headlights. Had them checked, I was concerned they couldn’t be so bad. The brightness of dash screens don’t help, but I had great lights on my previous car and it’s the thing i would be most disappointed about on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭John arse

Are the headlights not meant to be a super bright led/matrix setup on the 50k car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nope, the EV6 has matrix LED headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 adoyle07

The lights in the tailgate are the Reg plate lights, I upgraded the boot light to LED and is brilliant.

Normally just keep the speed control set to the road sign when it shows green when you are setting it seems to work.

Must be a dealer setting, mine are perfect the auto dip works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

In my limited experience so far, the only time that the car will automatically adjust its speed to obey road signs is when you are using navigation. When I have a route programmed in and cruise control enabled, the car will automatically adjust its speed to the current limit. This seems to be picked up from the navigation mapping most of the time, but if a temporary speed sign is detected, the car will recognise that and slow down, returning to the original speed once it spots a de-restriction sign.

I also found this note on another forum:

"To set the speed limiter to manual mode you press and hold the cruise control on the right of the steering wheel. If you then set the speed limit when you pass a speed limit sign the car reads the sign a little arrow flashes in the display for a short period while it is flashing if you tap the steering wheel up/down adjust, it sets it to the speed to the speed of sign it has just recognised. If you leave it too long after the arrow starts flashing then it doesn't. Not ideal but better than nothing. It does mean however that when it reads signs from side roads which don't apply to the road you are driving on you can ignore it.

But it does mean you have to notice the arrow flashing and respond quickly. The car I test drove didn't have a Head up display so don't know whether it would appear on there as well but if it did that wouldn't be so bad."

I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds a bit tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

The LED headlights, both dipped and full beam, are excellent on my Premium Plus. There have been reports both here and in the UK of vehicles delivered with wrongly set lights not picked up during the PDI.

My i40 had the same issue when delivered in 2019 so the dealer and I were both aware of the Ioniq 5 possible issue.

Had an interesting few days dealing with the software and firmware on my Premium Plus.

On delivery the Software was dated 23 August 2021 (210823) and the firmware 28 July 2021 (210728) Having got round to looking at it I contacted the dealer to be told that they had not been advised of any firmware updates and that software updates were down to me.

I bought a new 128GB memory stick and downloaded the updating software to one of my computers' hard disk which took a few seconds. I then started to download the updates on an internet connection of around 55mbps. The download indicated it would take more than 30 minutes. After 40 minutes it was complete. It took another 40 minutes to download to the memory stick.

I then took the memory stick to the car and started to download the updates into the system. The initial indication was for a time of 42 minutes. This came and went and, after 2 hours, the system started to validate the download which took a few moments.

The software now shows a date of February 11 2022 (220211) and the firmware a date of January 27 2022 (220127). The page now shows a line for over the air updates which are supposedly coming sometime in March.

The whole update system seems antedeluvian and clunky.

I will be telling the dealer about the firmware update. It seems to me that, given the range of vehicles they have to sell and deal with, the fact that in the next 18 months at least two more models will add to the range of EVs - and the service manager's remarks about they are learning as they go - Hyundai should have set up a small team in every dealership dedicated to EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

saw one parked today in Galway , cant put up a pic as dont want to show plate but beautiful colour of lucid blue

i absolutely prefer it to the EV6 , thought i preferred the Kia a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭John arse

That dealer would'nt fill me with confidence-are they not being trained at all?

Actually the dealer is excellent. Have dealt with them for 8 years, bought 4 cars new from them and have an excellent relationship with both sales and service.

The problem is Hyundai. I understand the first full training for sales was in November - 2 months after the initial cars were delivered. As others have found, not just in Ireland but elsewhere, owners are often ahead of the dealers when it comes to understanding the car - pretty obvious really as the dealers are selling ICEs, PHEVs, HEVs and EVs and the Ioniq5 is really a computer on wheels and the service departments have to learn all its systems as well as having the knowledge to deal with the other ranges and their systems.

As I said, Hyundai should have set up dedicated small teams in each dealership at least this time last year to handle EVs.

I gather Ford Mustang EV owners are finding they are also ahead of the dealers in their knowledge of their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 adoyle07

Went up to Newry this morning and the consumption was 19.1kwh/100km which is not bad speed a constant 120km, completely different on the way back with a full boot of wine and very strong winds head on consumption was at 29.8kwhr/100km ! We had to do a 20 min top up at an applegreen 50kw unit just to make sure we could get home with 41km range left when we got home, wind really effects the range in the shoe box on wheels.. very comfortable journey had though.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Lights are great on mine but maybe cause I didn't have Led in my old car. Why don't you dim the dash screens? Have mine set to go black background instead of white when it goes dark out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yeah, just been spoiled. Have done that with the screens and it definitely helps. I have a new appreciation for why my dad used to tell us 35 years ago it was illegal to have a light on in the car when he was driving!

Interested to know why most people quote consumption in kWh per 100 kms when the car can be set up to show kms per kWh

Because ICE cars use L/100km as a metric to display efficiency so kWh/100km is a relatively easy transition to EV efficiency for new EV owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

You can set it up to show either unit but kWh/100km seems to be the unit used on this forum.

Back in the day we used miles and gallons and a car’s performance was measured in mpg. When we turned to metric measures, a gallon being roundly 4.54 litres and a kilometre being 5/8ths of a mile, 40mpg turned into 14.09 kilometres per litre - not so good a marketing point.

Someone came up with the idea of litres per 100 kms. All of a sudden 7.1 litres in 100 kms sounds, to an often unthinking customer base, like a good return particularly if you are only commuting 50 kms per day.

The idea has transferred to the EV market in terms of kWhs per 100 kms. We buy electricity in units of kWh. Surely it’s simpler for most to work out efficiency in terms of kms per kWh rather than in what is, in effect, a random marketing construct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a towbar to the Executive Plus 58 kW model?

Was the towbar installed by the dealer? Is it retractable/removable? Will just be using it to carry a couple of bikes - maximum 40kg.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yeah agree, on maths side of things makes it easier to figure out costs etc. I switched it on my car. Currently averaging around 4.6km per kW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭custom_build

Apologies if this has come up a lot before. But, is anyone aware whether the premium has memory for the driver seat. Thanks.

Memory seats are only on Premium Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Does anybody know if all these cars come direct to Ireland from Korea or are they also shipped in from EU/UK ports?

The boats call at both European and/or UK ports en route to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

I had about 450KM range at 100% before a trip to Mayo (first long/motorway trip). When I got back, and charged it to 100%, the range was down near to 400KM, even though it was a warmer day! Does the car take into account your usage on previous trips when calculating the range?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Thanks I’m wondering do Irish cars ever get ferried between EU or UK ports on a different ship or do the deliveries always use the same ship that sailed from Korea.

Only if the ship fro Korea cannot dock at Dublin or Cork due to either weather or congestion.

The shipping operation is complex. The ships used are massive and can take up to 8000 cars. They regularly run with between 4000 and 6000 and make many stops per trip. The logistics of positioning the vehicles for extraction at each stop so there are no errors in delivery is both an art and a science.

Ireland tends to be at the end of a run so if the ports here are blocked it is easy to take the cars off in the UK or, in extremis, in Rotterdam and load them onto a smaller ship. This is costly and the decision is made depending on which is more cost effective - to delay the big ship’s return to Korea or to off load to a smaller ship.

This has been discussed before. In conversation with my dealer last week it seems that both temperature and driving style come into it but the car should adjust if the driving style changes on the next trip.

My argument was in my i40 the computer would always give the same range when I filled the tank and that would decrease with distance and driving style in real time, so why doesn’t the Ioniq 5 do the same on 100% charge. Seemingly the computer in the Ioniq 5 is far too clever and can predict the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

Decided to go with the Ionic 5 for use as a taxi, agreed a price with the salesman, he went off to check something and when he came back informed me that Hyundai will give zero warranty if car is being used as a taxi. I found this hard to believe but it is in their terms & conditions on the Hyundai website. I'm really disappointed as we are very happy with our family Tucson so had no hesitation buying from Hyundai.

Checked with VW and they will give full warranty with the ID4, same as private.

• Advertisement

In the UK Ioniq 5s can be leased for taxi work but, since Brexit, you cannot use that example to demand similar arrangements here.

I guess Hyundai’s stance is based on its intention to launch its driverless Robo Taxi across the world over the next 1-3 years.

In the meantime, if you know a good solicitor well versed in contract law and have the cash, you may well have a case concerning restriction of trade.

Advertisement