Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah will be interesting to see how he does Saturday and if any changes to lineup. Would be good to see 2 up top from the start perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Any prediction? Guess won't be too many shocks considering the squad size and availability, but Rodrigo and gelhardt up top I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm in the US and a NY Red Bulls fan(not a Leeds fan) but I'm a big fan of Jesse Marsch. He's a smart guy and did a fantastic at NY before moving to Salzburg. I think also he should have been given more time at Leipzig but that's another story. But he's quite the opposite of Bielsa in terms of tactics. At NY and Salzburg it was all press press press, high up the pitch. I know in MLS, other team absolutely hated playing against us. It will be interesting to see how it goes at Leeds.

Half time talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLMmr2HvTwI

Interesting discussion here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzrfNAP5PI

Saw loads of reports he plays 4-2-2-2

Ayling-Llorente-Struijk-Firpo

----------Forshaw-Dallas-------

‐----------Raphinha-Harrison------

-----------Rodrigo-James----------

Think it would be a brave call for a new manager to play a 19 year old up front. I reckon he'll stick with the usual 11 in his formation, might not see anything radical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Well what can be said, not sure if sacking bielsa was the right decision, we have had bad results before but bounced back, no boune appeared on the horizon this time. We all appreciate what he has done and we would not be in the pl only for him. Things change and he looks broken, his system just was not working this season, i know injuries' didn't help but its inconceivable to have 1 style of playing against all manner of teams and not expect to be figured out. Really hope we have a clear out of good servants in the summer presuming we stay up. Some have over achieved and bielsa made alot of them alot better than any of us expected. Its ok to be grateful to some of them players and also want new blood to freshen things up. I have been critical of many of the players at various times but i would never question their heart, always gave 100% just as bielsa did. We will stay up.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

Just cant agree with that sentiment, id take staying up on goal difference playing terrible football for a short period, a means to an end, by the sounds of it marsh is not going to have us playing burnely style football. To fans that think going down in blaze of glory is better than staying up playing poorly, im not so sure would they agree 16 years later and we still outside the top flight.

Have to agree re the squad, i have been slated on here stating the same, a massive clear out is needed. Could be argued the players that bielsa had over achieving were more found out than bielsa, he should have insisted on improving the squad more however, but reckon hes too loyal which is a mark of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Burnley host Leicester tonight before Leeds go to the Foxes on Saturday. Leicester have picked up 2 points from 21 and it might be no harm to drag another team into the permutations. New manager bounce (if that exists) needed Saturday. If he keeps Leeds up will it be "Marsching On Together"?

Gutted for Bielsa, but as Einstein said "doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting different results is the definition of insanity".

The day you make a team as bad as Tottenham look good is a bad day.

I'd be hoping for a Leicester win tonight. They are not going to be in the relegation mix. After this, Burnley have Chelsea. 2 defeats on the bounce would really knock the stuffing out of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Which four? And you're dismissing the rest of the team, most of whom are internationals with decent countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Away matches will be referred to as "road games" from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah I can understand that. In normal circumstances I'd even go with it, but Bielsa wasn't normal. If it was pretty much any other manager who took them up, like a Farke or a Wilder, I'd be ok with the pragmatic approach, it'd be expected too.

Philips, raph, Bamford, meslier.

I'm saying the rest of the team wouldn't start in a top prem side, i am not dismissing them, I acknowledged their ability, I certainly wasnt putting them down as being poor championship level.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

That's where I was over the weekend. The difference between the Bielsa era and what went before is staggering,not just in terms of the actual football but everything that went with it. We were blessed to have him at our club and there is a genuine fear that we will regress. On that basis,at that stage, I'd have taken relegation with him giving it his best.

I cannot ever remember reading reports of grown men crying over departure of the manager of a football club.

Now, I'm back to the reality of having to get something from Leicester on Saturday and having to beat Villa and Norwich afterwards.

Can we turn the form around ? Can the new coaching staff make enough of a difference to give the players their mojo back and make them believe as they did last season ?

Let's hope so.

You're saying that all but four of our players, who finished 9th last season, and are thus a top ten side (for now) wouldn't make a top half side now?

So our top defender Llorente wouldn't find a place at Southampton? See also Struijk. German international Koch wouldn't get into the Brighton team? Rodrigo, the Spanish international who Barcelona recently chased, wouldn't make a top ten side? Nor Jack Harrison? Nor Dallas with his versatility and ability to slot into several positions? Daniel James has just come from the club who finished second last season, having played 72 games for them over the past two years. He's obviously washed up though he's already scored more goals this season than in any at Man Utd. One more will give him his best ever season, and it's coming.

You seriously underestimate the talent on our team, and here's hoping they prove you wrong over the next 12 games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

100% Let them hammer Burnley tonight and let us have a nice 2-0 victory Saturday lunchtime so we can all enjoy our weekend.

Am I alone in preferring a draw. Dropped points for both, two teams we can finish above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

You really are a glass half full kinda guy I'll give you that.

Dont believe all the paper talk about who is chasing players. Considering Koch cant get in our team at centre half, I dont think he would get in Brightons. They have conceded 30 goals this year, joint 6th. Why would he get in there?

And Llorente isnt our top defender, for me anyway. Both Struijk and Cooper are better. He has been very poor in some games this year. What has he shown across this season to make you think he would get in a defence that has only conceded 37 goals?

People always say that certain players are better etc, but unless they actually show it, how can we really say that? Last season is gone, we can only go on what the players have shown us this year. And we have been shown to be a poor team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Yes, but that is a half full glass for each team, to be fair!

Leicester's form nearly as bad as ours. Games in hand but only four points clear of us. They fail to win tonight and lose against us and they're very much in a relegation scrap.

Phil Hay usually has the most insider knowledge. He claimed that Barca moved last Summer, and then the rumours resurfaced in January.

It's all subjective regarding our best defender. Llorente far ahead of the others for me, and yes recently inconsistent. In terms of him being part of a defence that's conceded 60 he was missing for some of that and how many defensive partners has he had this season. Every one of our back line has been injured, ill or suspended this season.

In terms of the season and us being poor, yes, but how would any team cope with all but a couple of the matchday squad having injuries at some stage. The only significant players i can think of avoiding periods out are Meslier and Shackleton. And yes, injuries are not the only cause but they are the most consequential one. The players that people dismiss, watch them perform in the next twelve games.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I didn’t really go for that Barca interest in Rodrigo. They would have wanted him for nothing, expecting us to dump €29m? They borrowed specifically to get Fernan Torres. They got De Jong on loan, Aubameyang and Aguero on frees on top of Braithwaite and Depay. Aguero didn’t work out, but you’d wonder how many strikers they need. Depay is now demanding to be let go cheaply.

I think Llorente has to have Cooper beside him to allow him to play. He doesn’t do well as the experienced one for me. Problem with Cooper is that he does exactly what the other players do - pulling and dragging players around in the box. Very good 98% of the time, but man, those defensive lapses. I saw the analysis on MoTD v Spurs and at one stage, we had 9 players around their box and they broke out. Suicidal stuff. Still, 2 hit woodwork and 2 sitters not taken really summed up this season.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shackleton was injured for a while as well, wasn't he?

I think they might be equal to the players in those positions, definitely dont think they would start ahead of them if they were bought in the morning. Rodrigo, not sure what he's at, i was excited when he signed but turned out to be very "meh", what's he going to do at Barcalona? Harrison, has a great game in between some average games. An A+ for work rate for all of them though.

James, again not seeing the quality there, still waiting for him to adapt I guess. 4 goals playing up front on his own and 2 assists, not sure it's top level or giving any indication as to what is to come.

I agree, I hope I'm proved wrong as well.

Post edited by Hijpo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

Just noticed we are the early game on Saturday as well

Absolutely nothing, it just seems to be the go to reason as to why someone who is apparently good because they played for ManU hasn't done much of anything for Leeds.

I wasn't looking forward to the game on Saturday, I am now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Radrizzani’s media group Eleven Sports/Aser has expanded into some US/Euro group called Neo Studios. Spotted a show called “The Academy - Leeds United” flashed on screen for a second so looked into it a bit. Two potentially interesting shows/documentaries:

===================

It is working up The Academy, which follows the real-life stories of young athletes, and has partnered with the NFL Alumni Academy in the U.S. and with Premier League’s Leeds United in the UK.

It is developing Race for Change (w/t), a docuseries that will track the inaugural season of the all-electric rally Extreme-E, as former F1, Rally and RallyCross champions compete on the most remote and environmentally fragile terrains to raise awareness for the environment. F1 legend Lewis Hamilton, who formed the X44 team, is involved.

The company is also working with the likes of Stephen Curry, Carmelo Anthony and Kalvin Phillips on projects.

===================

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Seems I really like the “/“ symbol and/or am really indecisive on words 😜

An assist and a goal for Vardy, doing to Burnley what he usually does to us. Maddison goal excellent, and that's probably the end of Leicester being dragged into a relegation fight. Hopefully less impressive on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Anybody who is still under any doubt that Bielsa needed to be replaced, please look in at the Middlesboro vs Spurs match tonight.

This is a mid table Championship team putting up the good fight against Spurs.

This is what we should have done at the weekend and also against Liverpool.

It is what Bielsa was incapable of doing since the West Ham match.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, on BT Sport again this week.

As regards our central defenders, I think when he's on form Llorente is possibly the best we have. The problem is that he has rarely been on form of late and is far too easily dragged out of position, leaving gaping holes in the centre of defence. For all his faults in hanging out of attackers and giving away silly frees, I prefer to see Cooper alongside Struijk. He's not as technically adept as a player, but he's the one player we have who can actually organise the defence, which in itself is probably more important right now given the general disarray at the back.

Not just a good fight, they beat them.

And it wasn't a spurs team put out to make up the numbers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Llorente is a quality defender who has lost his confidence and form recently. You would have to think that the man marking role which resulted in him getting pulled way out of position contributed to this. I hope that Marsch can get him back to playing the way he did last season after Christmas as he is our best defender. I did like him and Cooper together as Cooper is a talker and organiser and I thought they worked well together. However in the longer term Llorente and Struijk would be my preference as I really think Struijk has all the attributes to be a top defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I agree, Llorente looks like real quality at times just seems to of lost his confidence.

I really think abandoning the man marking and going more zonal will make a big difference, it obviously won’t fix everything and come with flaws but players won’t be getting dragged out of position with huge gaps all over the place.

I am thinking Marsch may use the available players In a more suitable tactical formation to their skill set

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Llorente obviously has all the technical ability to be an excellent player. However he has been really poor of late and I can only think that it's down to the man to man system and complete lack of a midfield. He should thrive in a better system, I'd have no worries about him.

I really disagree with Seathrun66 though regarding the quality of our players. For me Firpo, James and Rodrigo have been really poor signings. James at least shows a bit of fight and he has been played out of position but lacks end product. Ayling and Klich have been good servants but are no longer at the standard required.The less said about Tyler Roberts the better.

It's going to be a tough final 12 games but we have enough to stay up.

Yeah for me, Cooper has to play. The disrespect shown to him over the years has been poor IMO. Llorente and Struijk are talented, but neither can lead a defence yet

And Koch alongside Llorente? I used to think that was our best combination but now I'm not so sure. Hard to know without a settled back line and Koch or Struijk played out of position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

A Boro side captained by Jonny Howson, once of this parish, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

I would also definitely go with Cooper as soon as he becomes available.

For all of his perceived failings,he is an excellent captain,organiser and leader on the field. Something we have been seriously lacking in recent weeks.

Really interested to see the starting 11 we put out on Saturday.

Hopefully one small thing in our favour is that Rodgers won't be as confident in how we are going to set up and play as he would have been with Marcelo in charge...................or am I clutching at straws ?

We can get at their defence but in full flow,Tielemens,Barnes,Maddison and Vardy are terrible dangerous.

I think he'll set us up to nick a draw. Its what any new manager would do. Stop the rot, allows you to show the dressing room you can get points etc

Why is that?

These are the logical pathways here.

1: Boro played out of their skins and Spurs didn't play as well against Boro as they did against Leeds. Hmm. Maybe. Spurs tried the same things as they did against Leeds. But Boro defended resolutely and held on to catch them out. Its a long time since we saw a Leeds side do that.

2: Boro are a better team than Leeds or were more motivated than Leeds for their Spurs game. Maybe. But if Boro were more motivated than Leeds, who's fault is this?

3: Leeds have good players but the man marking and high press they were forced to do made it impossible to defend against Spurs leaving the team wide open. You can't be in 2 places at the one time. Could be, Bielsa cannot adapt to different situations.

Can you think of any more scenarios? If not, none of those points paints Bielsa in a good light.

Bottom line is no team in the Premier League should be getting ass whipped by 3, 4 ,6 or 7 goals (I don't think there was a 5 in there) week in, week out, and if they are, it's down to the coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bielsa elevated the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts, it's clearly been the case

X team beats Y team, we are better that X therefore we should beat Y.

Palace beat man city earlier in the season. Does that mean every team better than Palace should beat city?

Football doesn't work like that, too any factors.

Bielsa is gone, why are you still trying to knock him? You this know he should have gone sooner or don't really like him or something. I wanted him to stay but I'll be honest, he's gone now.

It's all about full support behind the new man

It's more like X beats Y 4:0 following Y getting hammered 6:0 four days earlier and then X gets beaten by Z, a mid table championship team.

Leeds should at least have broken out in a sweat against Spurs. Didn't even try.

Yes looking forward to the new set of eyes on Leeds. Mightn't change the end result much but we simply couldn't go on getting hammered every week.

He did in the Championship, and then bought in.

And when you don’t have most of the parts, for much of the season, you have a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So try and solve that problem then - don't just continually play in EXACTLY the same way but with players in their wrong positions. It was madness and it showed in our truly awful results.

I think the players had lost faith in Bielsa's system and wanted a change. You could clearly see some of them had downed tools. Raphinha the most obvious one but others like Klich too.

Remember those videos going around last season of our players bursting a gut to get back and defend? We've seen none of that this season. The opposition team out ran us in recent games too. None of that is down to injuries, it's tiredness and not caring anymore.

We really need a 'new manager bounce' to get us out of trouble. I don't think we'll get anything at Leicester but the two home games coming up are huge. I think we'll know on Sunday evening how our season is going to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement