Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Russian state media accounts, as well as content linking to their sites, will now be demoted across Meta's platforms globally.

Also Mexico opting not to apply sanctions. They want to be a peacebroker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'd say the parts shortages are shutting factories quicker than any ethical concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Oh great! Putin plans to declare war on Cthulhu too?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lots of Russians going to be out on their ears soon from good jobs in foreign multinationals. Fantastic to see them take the hit and abandon Russia. Jaguar Land Rover doing the same today, as are shell and BP. No corporation wants blood on their hands via association with murdering despots

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Indeed. Civil society in her words, comprises anyone who is important or plays a non-sedentary role in society, so politicians, human rights and other outspoken lawyers, judges, active social commentators, news readers and media personalities, journalists etc, etc - all to be rounded up and gotten rid of. Anyone who makes Ukraine, uniquely Ukraine and not Russia. A complete pre-frontal labotomy of Ukranian society.

He is so much sicker and sociopathic than most people realise. He's ever bit as much of a sick fu​ck as Pol Pot, Stalin and Hitler were. Incomprehensibly ruthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ha. Putin doesn't care about those talks. Will he send his minister for culture as lead delegate again? That tells you all you need to know. Meanwhile he is going to continue smashing the place up.

Surprised at Mexico- assumed the USA would have whipped them into line? Wouldn’t rule it out yet

Indeed they are. And they are absolutely rightly condemned for their terrible acts.

But shite like the ghost of Kyiv, the snake island incident, fake pictures and other such bullshit, along with the fact that the majority of news outlets are economical with the truth are making me question the reality of what's happening.

It's just desperately sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If, and it's a big if, they get enough votes to be elected we will deal with them the same as any other elected politician.

That's democracy which we think is a good thing don't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Nearing 22 years in power, the poisoning and murders of political opponents, murders of journalists, increasing control over the media, cabinet terrified to speak to him on live TV, rubber-stamp Duma, vast wealth for a state employee (yachts, billion dollar residence guarded by the FSB), all sorts of insane laws to protect him and validate murder of opponents abroad, shut down free press, imprison protesters..

Yet you are confused because you think there are "different sides"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Flatten cities tonight, negotiate tomorrow. Can guess the Russian bargaining stance.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Jeasus

Whats happening in the Ukraine is shocking but Nazi sympathising is a step to far.

The German atrocities claimed the lives of 6 million Jews, many of which died in the most barbaric ways imaginable.

Kicking doors down as opposed to knocking was the least of their worries

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I thought it was pretty clear. It's not a difficult concept. It's not a new concept either. I suppose it's just a part of Sun Tsu's concept of knowing your enemy and knowing yourself. It's basic, but the inability to even acknowledge the enemy's narrative is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

True but it’s not just that- some are suspending sales to Russia completely. That’s not to do with any parts shortage. We are seeing a massive corporate exit from Russia. It’s not worth the bad PR and these multinationals very carefully sculpt their images around corporate social responsibility and the like.

Wonder will the likes of McDonald’s and Coca Cola be forced to do the same? Nothing is off the table now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

Are you saying what you heard over the media?

poisoning and murders

The last poisoning that was associated with Russia is poisoning of Skripal's in Salisbury.

It looks like he was exchanged for some spies in 2010 based on Wikipedia:

On 9 July 2010, Skripal and three other Russians, who had been imprisoned for spying for the US, were freed as part of a spy swap.

Why wouldn't Putin kill Skripal when he was in jail? Why would he exchange him in 2010 if he should be killed later on? Would it not be easier to kill him in jail rather than killing in the UK causing outrage on the West?

"different sides" - there are always different sides including the side of civilians on Ukraine, Ukrainian government and Russian government, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't think it was Nazi sympathising at all its accurately describing what people of this region think about the Russians. I don't see it saying the Nazis were nice.

People in Poland and other Eastern European countries lived under the yoke of the USSR for over 40 years. Its no wonder they all flocked to NATO to ensure they didn't become vassals of the Russians again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If that was true, then China would be in trouble for their camps for Uighur Muslims

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As an Australian, could I please ask you to get a new username because I find that one deeply offensive, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What you said was to quote "The truth of their stories or our stories aren't really important. It's just Important to know what the stories are"

When I want some "stories" I read fiction or I watch a film (I should probably stop reading this thread and do that...).

When I want "news" or to know what is happening, I want something as close to the "truth" as possible within all the (often large) limits of biases and failings of humans, and that does matter. What Russia and its mouths like the Ambassador here or its media are giving us as the facts of the matter right now (their "story" if you will) seems to be to be very far from such truth, at much further distance than the Western media "story".

There is an objective reality somewhere out there IMO, even as regards human events and history. 

I feel edit: that fairly deeply and think if we throw our hands up and say its all "stories" + the truth doesn't matter (what is truth etc.?) as quote above from you implies and there is no point trying to get your hands on reality, we are very lost and without hope.

I don't understand relativism or postmodern ideas or such at all, which is I think maybe where you are coming from with your posts (which are not at all appropriate for this thread or indeed perhaps the whole forum anyway, hence why I was sarcastic). I have not studied it or read about it, that is not my background at all so no doubt you'll be full of the quotes and arguments to convince me truth does not exist, there's no objective reality out there etc. 

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement

It’s all about profile though- those massacres don’t have the same effect due to distance culture and geography. Sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes very much a case of 'the beatings will continue till morale improves'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

dont forget the Roma, or Gypsies, with estimates of the number killed ranging from up to 1.5 million

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Right. The Ukrainians are under invasion, morale is absolutely critical to their survival, of course there will be stories or exaggerations.

The guys on Snake Island did tell the Russians to go "**** themselves", we have an audio feed of the exchange, and they did come under heavy fire right after. It was presumed they died, but new information has come to light that they survived and were captured.

As for the situation, it's not difficult to understand, plenty of global press outlets you can source and follow this from

The German connection goes back almost to the two partitions in the 18th century, when western Poland would have been Prussian. Russia got eastern Poland and Austria got the south and parts of modern Ukraine including Lviv under the banner of Galicia. The German and Austrian parts were run in a civilised way but the Russians rapidly developed a reputation for savage brutality and there are many stories of them wiping out entire villages and all that goes with that as reprisals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

Do you mean it stands for 'Soldier'? I do not imply this meaning, and like somebody already checked my account was created in 2018. If it is against any Boards rules, can you please point what the rule is and what exactly offended you?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Sweet Jeebus, the Russians really don't know what they are up against. Tank fires at your window, hmmm, maybe I can still watch from the other one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There certainly was oppression under communism. However, some of it was precisely due to historical nazi collaboration and sympathizing which again resurfaced after soviet union collapse. You may want to do some reading about stuff like Latvian legion, 1st Lithuanian SS division and UPA with Bandera in ukraine, Slovak republic during the WWII... Plenty of collaborators and what is even worse these ideas are resurfacing in all of mentioned countries without much of a protest from "democratic" western states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Saw on to last nite a briefing meeting between Putin and two of his top army/navy/ air officers. The two of the. Looked very burly , 65 to 70+ year old, well fed looking, etc, etc. they looked the part - very serious look on their faces . It was not the three individuals that struck me . . What struck me was the long table strategy again . It was nearly as long as the Macron meeting one and it was SQUARE. The second point that jumped out was that the two officers were at the VERY OPPOSITE END of the table - specifically the very last two chairs on the right hand side while Putin sat at the far end of the table. The only reason I think for those ‘positions ‘ to be taken up was because Putin was afraid that he might have been strangled by one/ both of them. If either of the two ‘boys’ made an ‘unexpected ‘ move - especially towards Putin , either by a movement indicating that a gun might be produced , l

dashing towards him to strangle him, he Putin, would have some time to duck, make good his escape, or whatever

the meeting was also in a huge big room.

or was the whole thing a setup to keep us all guessing what kind of a condition he has, etc

it was such a weird looking meeting

the only clue to it being choreographed/staged was the fact that they forgot to use their hearing aids - because of their ages surely at least one of the six ears needed a hearing aid. Also none of the six eyes apparent.y needed glasses - no sign of a glass case in front of any of them. No sign of bottled water in sight AND on the understanding that Putin is paranoid about catching Covid there was not a mask in sight. The two BIG BOYS at the end were sitting beside eachother

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement