Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

The 5-Year Walking and Cycling Infrastructure Delivery plan is seeking to plan and build up to 140km of cycling and walking infrastructure. The council said that this is made up of 55km from 27 existing projects and 85km from 31 new corridors.

The council said that a contract for the survey of ten routes has been awarded under Lot 1 and that the survey work is in progress and is scheduled for completion in April 2022. And that a response to tender has been received for a further 12 routes listed under Lot 2 which was expected to be awarded in early February.

Full details in article

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any time I’ve been out in Dun Laoghaire in the evenings, I’ve noticed a good few older couples 60+ on the CMR route.

Excellent thread by Ciaran Ferrie on the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport meeting on 30kmph limits in urban areas. Its long but a great review of the meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This is a real crock of merde.

So An Garda Siochana is saying that on 'Slow Down' day, they spotted 277 cars speeding out of a total of 47000 cars clocked. Less than 1% of motorists are speeding?!!

Was out in Sutton earlier, there is one of those live speedometers for the 50k zone by the bike path, and it was permanent red - every car was a 54km or a 57km or whatever. Not one was green

277 motorists detected speeding on 'Slow Down' day (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

a) those aren't accurate

b)The Guards never bother pulling anyone less than 10% over the limit, because its an easy challenge in Court for the calibration tolerance of the equipment.

c) nobody gives a toss about someone doing 57 in 50.

• Advertisement

"c) nobody gives a toss about someone doing 57 in 50."

Speak for yourself. You don't speak for everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the kinetic energy difference between 50 and 57km/h is almost exactly 30% so it's not trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but your typical Joe soap doesn't have a nerdgasm over that sort of equation.

You'll never get a high level of public backing for the zero tolerance enforcement of marginal infringements of the limit, and more importantly, you won't get in from Guards or Judges either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You only won't get it because of the bureaucracy involved for the gardai and the time it would take up in courts because if they bothered enforcing it there would be nothing else heard.

Now, some average speed cameras and some light cameras and some civilian staff to issue fines and be done with it.

People should care about people being over the limit. You're approaching the point in in which accidents are going from serious injury to fatal at those speeds

7kmph over 50 isnt marginal in the way you are using it. It's over 10%.

Gardai will pull you over for being over if they feel like it too. They'll occassionally have a chat at the very least. People will get pissed off for "their time wasting"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have not logged on here in ages. Today is National Slow Down day... Ha, what a joke. It makes my blood boil they do this PR stunt.

Nothing changes as a result of these PR days for road safety. Today was no different to yesterday.

I cycle Enniskerry Rd 20 times a week, and it's madness. No speed checks, just a reliance on driver self regulation. The speed monitor near DLSRC frequently displays speeds way in eccess of 50kmph (and Labre34, its accurate to my GPS every time I pass it). Today, I seen it show lots close to 70, and one at 93. There are three schools on this road and some blind bends. I have seen it maxed out at 99 on more than one occasion. The limit is 50 up to the outskirts of Kilternan on the Enniskerry side. Many many motorists way in excess of 50 every day.

There are never any Garda checks on this road and I have only seen the camera van once on the stretch downhill to Kilternan. Lots of vulnerable road users on it every day, including today.

This is an appalling inditement of a failed roads policing policy, perhaps better known by those in higher echelons as 'policing by consent' . Consent of whom, the speeding motorist or implied consent of the vulnerable road users most impacted by speeding?

Education by media assumes the speeders give a crap about the consequences their actions. Most probably don't, just like they don't care about how poor their awareness of other road users is.

So I say to the RSA and AGS if you can do effective roads policing today, do it tomorrow and every day after that. Invest in technology to assist and improve detection of speeding, running red light. Use the statutes there to sanction offences and protect the vulnerable road users. Those who use the roads everyday, and who are everyday impacted by the fatalities and injuries associated with speeding, even the 7kmph over the limit of 50kmph that Labre34 says nobody cares about. I care a lot when someone speeds past me over the prescribed limit, cutting a corner, passing close etc. Its pretty serious, and it's endemic as its not being checked.

Anything less than 24/7 policing of speeding and all traffic offences in general is a pointless PR stunt that will result in more fatalities, which are already 20 more than the period last year, and 30% of all fatalities are attributed to speeding. RSA and AGS figures and stats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They don't need too, they just have to accept and act accordingly. I think zero tolerance approach would work better than the current policy which emboldens law breakers, as even when they think they might be caught, they possibly aren't. I think if you turned around and said from the 1st June, we will have average speed cameras and a zero tolerance to breaking the speed limit and RLJing, an advertisement of the margin of error and an approach that, lets say it is 3% (made up), that drivers would be expected to accept that, so aim for a max of 48.5 in a 50 zone and 97 in a 100 zone. Basically, that they have the info and if they want to waste solicitors fees going to court, that judges won't tolerate being marginally above the limit, that it is a limit and effectively, you should be below it.

You're not a spokesperson for the typical Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Results show that the average risk of severe injury for a pedestrian struck by a vehicle reaches 10% at an impact speed of 16 mph, 25% at 23 mph, 50% at 31 mph, 75% at 39 mph, and 90% at 46 mph. The average risk of death for a pedestrian reaches 10% at an impact speed of 23 mph, 25% at 32 mph, 50% at 42 mph, 75% at 50 mph, and 90% at 58 mph. 

31mph = 50kph; 39mph = 63kph. 32mph = 51 kph; 42mph = 68 kph. The differences in outcome for vru is significant, so maybe more people (and especially our roads police) should "give a toss" about such law breaking.

fwiw I find those signs match my Sat Nav, which is showing actual speed (so above what my speedo is saying).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Looking forward to "Please, No Shoplifting Today Day".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not even a driving ban ffs

Thats the issue = doesnt need to see a red light because whats the worst that can happen (to the driver).

WTF?

Those aren't accurate. Good stuff, and we know that how?

Nobody gives a toss about someone doing 57 in a 50. I do. Thanks very much.

There was a ban, afaik.

The judge noted case law which states that in some cases a driving disqualification order may have it’s own punitive effect on a particular defendant. She said she was satisfied that the four year ban she would impose in this case would have be a punishment on Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Local council did a speed survey here on a particular road and found 86% of drivers speeding. The Gardaí were out not long afterwards, parked in a visible location with a speed gun and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't find anybody speeding on that occasion. Of course, later that day the road was back to 'normal'. The council refuse to build a pedestrian crossing on it because it's "too fast". It's a 60km/h limit. It's a shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's been quoted in this forum before that DCC won't put in new Zebra Crossings and Flashing Ambers because motorists can't be trusted to observe them and therefore they're dangerous to VRU to install. And some on here are proud of our lax attitude to road traffic laws...

i think the response i got was that under irish law, a pedestrian doesn't have right of way on a pedestrian crossing until they actually set foot on it. which essentially renders them useless, from a legal point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cameras with fines doled out will soon get the message out (along with the useless fish in a barrel BS)

I emailed AGS here recently as there's a one way street outside our house. Almost every time I go out there's some bellend coming up it the wrong way at speed as they couldn't be arsed going the way they're supposed to. I was taking the young lad to football on the bike at the weekend and one of them pulled into a space as we were coming down, I slowed down and said to yer man "You're going up a one way street". His reply? "I know" - and off he sped. Not a peep out of AGS, not even an acknowledgement of the email, so I think a personal appearance at the station is called for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've seen people drive up Francis St. the wrong way in full view of Gardaí and neither side gave a shít.

"We need the road to free up space.....but we don't have any plans to actually free up space because we'll need that space for all the cars that will be used because of the road"

Makes total sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

There’s one near my house too. I was coming down it on the bike one day and met a woman in a car coming the wrong way. She clearly wanted me to go around her, but reluctantly pulled in after I stood my ground. As I went past she rolled down her window to explain herself. Her reasoning? “There’s no parking.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I remember something about this from primary school, 30 plus years ago, you had to step onto a zebra crossing to obtain the right of way, and hope drivers stopped. For many,not an issue putting a foot on the crossing beside the kerb, for others with mobility issues or in a wheelchair, potentially impossible.

And it is not like drivers respecting them will ever be policed

• Advertisement

found the mail - i'd emailed andrew montague to ask could a zebra crossing be provided on south william street, at the powerscourt entrance. he asked and got this response

CHIEF EXECUTIVE’S REPLY:

Dublin City Council does not recommend Zebra crossings as they may provide a false sense of safety for pedestrians. In Ireland, a pedestrian does not have the right-of-way until they have already stepped onto a Zebra crossing. For this reason Dublin City Council’s preferred option is for crossings where the onus is unambiguously on the driver to stop. 

The location is listed for examination and report by the Traffic Advisory Group. The Councillor will be informed of the recommendation in due course.

Advertisement