Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, normally for a HC to take a big step back to a position coach and not even be a coordinator they have to flame out as a HC - not come off back to back winning seasons and build up a defense that even the owner that fired him demanded the new coach maintain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Did I argue that the Miami defence didn't improve?

Improve it did - but it was still bang average last season - exactly in the middle of the pack.

But that is not the issue - the issue is that Flores was never a DC - he was a linebackers coach prior to becoming a HC (and a linebackers coach on a team where the HC controlled everything).

Do I think that Flores flamed out like so many other coaches from the BB tree - no - but I do think that he is a typical BB clone as HC and none of them have succeeded as HC.

In the last four years there hasn't been a single HC fired who subsequently got a job as a coordinator who wasn't previously a coordinator. Several have taken major demotions - Joe Judge (never a coordinator) is QB coach at the Pats - Matt Patricia (nominally DC at the Pats) is OL coach at the Pats - Adam Gase (remember him) is coaching as the offensive coordinator on a high-school team. Doug Marrone - who has been a coach for more than 20 years - has had two stints as a HC and has been a coordinator - is the OL coach at the Saints (after being OL coach at Alabama after being sacked by the Jags)

Of the HCs fired after last season -

Jon Gruden - no job (and will play out the remainder of his ten year contract)

Urban Meyer - no job (will probably end up back in the college ranks)

Vic Fangio - no job (was apparently offered the DC job by the Jags but supposedly turned it down because he thought he was being interviewed for the HC job)

Mike Zimmer - no job (will get a coordinator job somewhere eventually - thought he might end up as DC in Denver because of his connections to Paton - but the Broncos did a massive clear-out and have completely changed gear - and brought in Capers as a senior advisor)

Matt Nagy - no job (I suspect will end up as a positional coach somewhere evenutally)

Joe Judge - QB coach with the Pats

David Culley - no job (like Nagy - probably a positional coach somewhere)

Brian Flores - Senior defensive assistant and linebackers coach with the Steelers.

So - again - evidence that Flores is 'significantly over-qualified' for the job he now has ?

I will say that Flores could not have landed in a better spot - and the fact that he chose to go to the Steelers shows a lot of maturity on his part. He had 12 years coaching under the Patriot Way in a coaching system/tree that has produced zero candidates capable of being HCs. Mike Tomlin is a great NFL HC and he is the polar opposite of Belichick in his approach to being a HC. As long as Flores does not do what most of the failed Patriot Way coaches do and fly back to daddy - then he has the potential to broaden his coaching experience and possibly return in the future as a successful HC. If he does then it would be a massive indictment of how BB uses his coaches at NE.

None of this takes away from the fact that there is systemic racism and misogyny in the NFL - there will be some token moves like Goodell suggesting that someone from a minority background should buy the Broncos (Byron Allen is reputed to be intending to put in a bid - but he has nowhere near the $4billion it will cost) - nothing will really change as the rich and powerful who run the NFL don't give a sh*t about anything except making money.

Apples and oranges there with your comparison - how many of those coaches you looked at in the last 4 years have been fired after back to back winning seasons?

There is significant difference between a non-coordinator being hired as HC and failing on the field and getting fired another being hired as HC and being a relative success on the field and getting fired. The latter shows that they are well qualified to move into a coordinator role. Flores was however smart to take whatever job he could get in an unfortunate environment where we saw from Kaepernick how easily being away from the game will be used as a stick to beat you with.

Agree that Byron Allen is hardly a shining light of hope if he became an owner, he already partners with Sinclair media to make money so would have no problems with going along with whatever the other owners wanted.

Being a HC is a different skill set from being a coordinator - and Flores has never been a coordinator. Furthermore - he has zero coaching experience outside of being a BB underling. Whatever he did in Miami - and while the results were decent there was clearly serious issues behind the scenes - that does not automatically make him suitable for a DC position. On top of that - most coordinator positions are filled based on relationships. I thought there was a chance he could get the DC job either with the Giants or the Raiders - but Daboll went with Wink Martindale (good choice imo) and McDisaster dipped back into the Pats coahcing history to get Graham (probably realised he couldn't fit Flores' ego alongside his own in the building).

The Steelers job is where Flores is at - its a good job for him and it fits with his experience - and if he gets away from the BB tree then he has a chance to get a second go and might be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can we get a new thread for issues about race? Like this thread has always been a fun thread. Now it's becoming dreary and pedantic.

I do not understand the preoccupation with him never being a coordinator before - by that logic no coordinator could ever be hired if they weren't a coordinator previously, no HC should be hired if they weren't a HC before... The DC role has a lot closer relationship to being a HC than being a position coach - the route where most new DCs come from.

Now I fully agree with you regarding relationships but the point the OP made is that Flores is over qualified. There are many people out there who are much more qualified but do not get a job because another candidate is better at networking. This is a key problem with the NFL too, especially when it is a mostly old white man network you have to break into. This excuse however has nothing to do with Flores' qualification.

We're going around in circles on this so might as well leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

To qualify my initial comment, I think most people were surprised that Flores was fired. He arguably overachieved in Miami given the roster he had, either way he was a long long way from a disaster. There was certainly thing going on behind the scenes, some of which we know about and other things that we don’t, but overall I think he did a good job.

As a Steeler fan I am glad he is on board and I look forward to seeing what he can bring. They traded up for linebacker Devin Bush a few years ago and he had a decent first year but he was a total disaster last year after coming back from an ACL tear. He was a very highly rated prospect, maybe Flores can get him back on track as his position coach.

Yes we are going around in circles a bit -

I will leave it with this - I don't have any preoccupation with Flores at all or the fact that he has never been a coordinator. I reponded to the claim by Honeybadger that he was 'significantly overqualified' for the job he got with the Steelers - I don't think he is - in fact I think he got a job right in line with his experience of being a BB clone, never having coached anywhere else and never been a DC.

As I pointed out and as you agree with - most of the jobs down the line from the HC are made because of relationships - and the only relationships that Flores has is with the BB tree.

To demonstrate - Hackett is HC of the Broncos - Outten as OC worked with Hackett in GB - Klint Kubiak has clear Denver connections and work with Paton in Minnesota - OL coach Barry worked in GB - his assistant was under Kubiak in Minnesota - RB coach worked with Hackett at the Bills and Jags - the new DC Ejiro Evero was in high school with Hackett - the DL coach worked with Evero at the Rams - the DB coach came from GB - the ST coordinator Stukes came from the Rams - new LB coach worked with Evero at SF under Fangio etc etc - Dom Capers is being brought in as a defensive advisor (Capers worked with Evero when at GB) and the word is that Gary Kubiak could be back in a similar role on offence.

The problem here is that coaching staff in the NFL is traditionally white - and as white HCs move up the line they bring the people they know with them. Now it is worth noting - a majority of the current Denver coaching staff are black (or from a minority background), something which is very positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The statement from Kyler Murray’s agent yesterday was a new level of word salad. Kyler Murray is going to instagram wipe and bizarre statement himself out of Arizona if he’s not careful.

• Advertisement

Well I wouldn't be paying him big money until he shows he can be consistent for a full season which he has failed to do to this point in his NFL career.

He's gona reset the market one way or the other. The cards have moved on from a qb quick recently but just letting g a no.1 overall leave for nothing is rough. They could franchise tag and trade him I suppose

well he needs to stop with the instagram stunts and statements like yesterday and concentrate on football because he wasn’t healthy last season and the Cards started 10-2 and only won one game the rest of the way and stumbled into the playoffs. And the season before last they had to win one game or something like that to get into the playoffs and collapsed. The team as a whole needs to cop on to itself and work to fix the issues, because the NFL isn’t moving the super bowl to November.

Murray's agent is also agent for Kingsbury - and apparently this was all about the fact that the Cards owner did not pay the coaches their bonus for reaching the play-offs because he was peeved about how meekly they went down in the play-off game. It was leverage to force his hand - and Kingsbury (and the GM) has ended up with an extension to 2026 as a result. Murry will be taken care of next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

The #Packers and MVP QB Aaron Rodgers have agreed to terms on a 4-year, $200M deal that makes him the highest paid player in NFL history, sources say. He gets a whopping $153M guaranteed and his cap number goes down. A monstrous commitment by GB for years to come. 💰 💰 💰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Aaron "It's not about the money" Rodgers

Broncos fans in a shambles now trying to convince themselves Mitch Trubisky would be a great FA signing. 😂

Hahaha nevermind

What a day. Amazing.

Blockbuster: After weeks of negotiations, in one of the largest trades in NFL history, the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos have agreed to terms for a deal involving Super-Bowl winning QB Russell Wilson, sources tell ESPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Giving Rodgers a four year contract is insane. Two years at that money would be enough.

As for the Wilson deal, these things never really work out for the Broncos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The AFC West is stacked at QB now, Carr by far the worst of the four starters and he isn't even that bad.

The Seahawks have gotten a lot to work with for their rebuild, should they be looking to do that with a much younger coach than 70-year-old Pete Carroll?

• Advertisement

What never works out for the Broncos - getting a franchise QB?

the trade for John Elway worked out well - the trade for Champ Bailey worked out well - the trade for Gary Zimmerman worked out well - even the trade for Terrell Davis worked out well (Denver traded down in the draft and selected Davis). And let's not forget that the Broncos also managed to sign Peyton Manning as a FA.

In fact you have to go back to 1964 for a disasterous trade - in 1964 the Broncos traded their 1965 1st rounder to the Oilers for a QB named Jacky Lee. The Broncos had a disasterous season and the pick turned out to be the No.1 overall pick - the pick ended up with the Jets and they took Joe Namath. After that - the worst trade in Broncos history is regarded as the McDisaster trade up for Tebow and the shipping of a future 1st rounder to move up in 2009 to take a nobody CB in the second round.

To be clear - the Broncos fleeced the Seahawks in this deal - they gave up 2 1s and 2 2s - Drew Lock was done in Denver, Shelby Harris is easily replaceable and Noah Fant is good but hasn't really performed to his talent level and it is likely the Broncos weren't going to pick up his fifth year option (don't know why Seattle took him because he is the opposite of a Pete Carroll TE). To put it another way - the Broncos gave less to Seattle for an established franchise QB who, if healthy, could play another 6-7 years than the 49ers gave to trade up for Trey Lance last year (now I think Lance could be really good - especially in the hands of Kyle Shanahan - but he is still a major risk).

This deal for Wilson puts the Broncos right in the mix as a SB contender.

And by the way - it took Wilson all of six hours to complete his physical and sign off on his no-trade clause. This has been in the works for weeks - George Paton is turning out to be a masterful GM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think Fant is a great player who has had bad qbs. That will likely continue unless Seattle hit gold pretty quickly.

AFC QB roster is insane and incredibly deep now.

Fant has a lot of ability - but he is inconsistent, goes missing in games, will constantly whiff on blocks and drops the ball. He hasn't been helped by poor QB play - but a lot of this is his own lack of urgency or even willingness to actually play the game. His fifth year option is chicken-feed at $6.7m - it should say a lot when the Broncos were undecided about exercising it. Shipping out Fant solves their problem and the Broncos have 2 decent TEs in Albert O and Saubert (a FA who will likely return) - cap space for a FA and a draft with a lot of depth at the TE position.

I agree about how stacked the AFC is at QB.

The big advantage for Wilson is that he will have some serious offensive weapons - Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick, Hamler, Javonte Williams (and Gordon might come back), Albert O - he also has a pretty decent OL which he didn't have in Seattle (that will be set if they get a RT) - and a HC who loves outside zone concepts which play into Wilson's talents. On top of that the important parts of the Broncos roster are either signed to long-term cap friendly deals or are on rookie contracts.

Are the Broncos a QB away though? In that division and a stacked AFC, will this get them over the hump?

I am sceptical on that front. Also, does the Miller trade look short-sighted now with a QB on board?

I think they are a qb away from a chance. It is a stacked division/conference but they can't do much about that except not try which seems a poor option.

I am also not sure many teams have more than a chance at reaching the SB in that conference as well as everyone is too good. So much will come down to small margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fant was on my fantasy team that got to the Super Bowl this year, so I will always have a soft spot for him 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just seen a graphic on GMFB there that Wilson has 9 Pro-bowl appearances, one SB ring and another SB appearance in ten years as a starter in the league. Rodgers has more Pro-Bowl appearances, but less overall SB apperances than him in a longer career. Some outlay from the Packers for the whack job.

Mahomes, Herbert and Carr are all top notch QB's. They are closer with Wilson than with the awful QB's they had the last while but I thought Wilson slowed down a bit and looked older than his years last season. It'll be interesting to see if he bounces back.

They'll find it difficult to improve much though in that division.

He had nine winning seasons in a row, still looks in great shape and talks like a much younger man. Are you calling it because of his age or his one losing season after nine in a row winning ones?

I can't see any reason to move on from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I really don't know how the Packers have pulled that off when they're supposed to be in cap hell. The last few seasons has made me quite sceptical of how the cap is applied tbh.

The Broncos should be quite happy with that trade tbf. They certainly wouldn't be in my top 5 for Superbowl contenders for next season but Russ should see them vying for playoff spots for the foreseeable. Think the Seahawks got robbed but you never know how those picks will fare out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rodgers had a massive cap number for 2022 so the extension will actually lower that number.

Wentz traded to Washington (still not used to the Commanders name). Flip of 2nd rounders this year, plus a 3rd this year and probable 2nd next year. Not a move that would excite me if I was a Washington fan.

I thought Wentz did well in Indy, very surprised at that move. I though he'd improve with the confidence of last season behind him.

Yes - the Broncos are a QB away from contending - averaging 20pts a game last season would have netted 10 wins - with Wilson added to the talent on that roster there will be a major jump in production on offence.

Miller is a free agent and already hinting that he could return to the Broncos - imaging getting a 2nd and a 3rd for a 6 month loan from a wasted season.

the confidence of last season ? The colts had to beat the jags in week 18 to get into the playoffs and shat the bed badly and wentz was a big part of that. Why are you surprised at the move ? The owner of the team ranted about the season on a video, and the GM and HC when asked didn’t commit to wentz coming back and when frank reich was luck warm on wentz I knew he was done.

Let Carson wentz go to Washington. Unless he changes his mental outlook he’s never getting back to his early years in Philly where he played amazingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

The Wentz trade has similaries to the trade last year. If Wentz plays 70% snaps the 2023 3rd rounder goes to a 2nd rounder. So the Colts traded a 1 and 3 for him last year and may get back a 2 and 3 in the end.

As a Colts fan, I'm a little indifferent about the trade. I don't think Wentz is the guy to take the franchise to where it wants to go. But at the same time, its going to be hard to find a good QB to replace. Jimmy G would be a lateral move for example imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I mentioned his age for a reason, it's nothing to do with his winning record. I don't expect them to change coach because it was pretty clear over the last few months that either he left or Wilson did. Now that Wilson has, he's obviously staying.

But he is 70, no coach in NFL history has made it beyond 73 and he was an interim (Romeo Crennel). Obviously Carroll could go beyond that but if the Seahawks were looking towards the next golden era for the franchise, now would be a good time for a fresh face given the obvious on field rebuild they're about to undertake.

Don't know if it's a sign of where Rodgers is at, but seems like a slight lack of enthusiasm amongst Packers fans. This should be the biggest news in years, but the reaction is lukewarm and have even seen references to it being a lot of money to ensure 4 more years of playoff losses. The shine has really gone from the halo in the last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think keeping a player is always less exciting that signing a player, it's just human nature

Not sure what kind of maths you're doing on that Lance comparison - it must be some or all of a) getting the number of picks they used to 'trade up' wrong (not netting the first round picks), b) ignoring the discount when you deal future picks instead of the current year, c) ignoring the trade value they'll get back for Jimmy (very unlikely he is cut), d) ignoring the huge difference in salary (Lance only barely breaks $10m in the final year of his rookie deal while Wilson is likely going to want a $45m+ contract this year or next). Good to be happy with a deal your team made but no need to make up reasons for it.

Having said that, I agree that this is probably a steal from the Broncos as being a fan of an NFCW team I am delighted Wilson is out of the division and not too worried about the picks and players the Seahawks received. I had to add probably because I watch more NFCW games than most and Wilson's play has been deteriorating over the last few years. Now that could be down to Seahawks using him incorrectly or Wilson being in a huff causing him to underperform but the physical traits he has relied on most over his career are those that tend to fail the earliest with QBs (scrambling, movement, long pass, durability) and he historically hasn't really shown much ability to adjust his game (each OC that comes in he basically plays the same way).

• Advertisement

I don't think Jimmy would be a lateral move. He isn't that huge step up into the top tier QBs but Jimmy is a good QB who is much more proven than Wentz and unlike Wentz Jimmy's team mates absolutely adore and run through walls for him. For example, I don't see a world where Jimmy doesn't help the Colts win that last game of the season.

Jimmy isn't the exciting pick up and I'll understand the frustration of whatever fanbase he ends up with if he costs what this latest Wentz deal does (or likely more), I've been there myself over the years with him, but if your GM can't or won't pay the price to make one of the aggressive 'mortgage your future' type moves to get the few elite QBs that come available then I'd much rather be in the position the 49ers have been with a great supporting cast and good Jimmy than scrambling around hoping you get lucky and a great QB falls into your lap for cheap - especially when the Colts' division is very, very winnable right now and who knows what happens in the playoffs.

I think Jimmy would be a better fit for the Colts. Though if you need a new qb it is better to start the search early so I feel you had to move on and take the sunk cost from last year.

Wentz just comes across as ready to panic at any given moment. Not sure about the character stuff that comes from any qb release but on the field he had pretty serious issues. From watching him I have no idea how he got so few interceptions this season but he simply hasn't shown it for a while now.

Have you seen any interviews with him? He sounds a lot younger than his years. He acts a lot younger than his years.

You are just deciding that because he's hit 70 they should get rid of him. That's ageism my friend.

He came out if a very bad situation with I'd imagine very low confidence in himself. I thought he did pretty well, much better than he did with the Eagles over the last few years. I felt last season would be the ingnition for him returning to the level he was at early in his time in Philly.

The owner is obviously an idiot.

By bad situation do you mean his time in Philly ? If that’s what you mean then lets not pretend he’s not to blame for some of that bad situation. Yes, he had injuries but so do many players but they rebound. From when he tore his ACL it was a slow if steady slide to what we saw in the 2020 season which was a pity. He should’ve been benched weeks before he was because he just wasn’t playing at all well. I blame the coaching staff in Philly for not having the balls to not coddle him and protect his feelings and instead do what was best for the team.

One common thing that Jalen hurts and Nick foles have with their team mates is that they played for them. The same can’t be said for Carson wentz and it seems the same issues occurred in Indy.

if by owner you mean Jim Irsay, then yes on the whole I’d agree that’s he’s an idiot but I’ve no issue in this regard with his decision. You expect when you give up what you give up for a QB, that down the stretch he’s there and he performs and wentz wasn’t due to his own choice over the vaccine, which is his right but there were consequences to that choice. And then week 18 we saw what happened there.

It appears you are starting out with a dislike for Wentz and are unable to just focus on his one year in Indy where he threw for 3500+ yards, 27 TDs and only 7 ints and that was on a run first team.

That's a very good season by any standard.

As I said, with that season behind him you'd expect him to improve again this season.

Irsay is an idiot and it's stupid of him to meddle in personnel decisions.

• Advertisement

It appears you are starting out with a dislike for Wentz and are unable to just focus on his one in Indy.

No I don’t have a dislike for Wentz but you implying something that a poster didn’t say isn’t new from you. I was delighted that we drafted Carson Wentz but the fact remains he had issues by the end of his time in Philly that weren’t on anyone else but Wentz.

why would I just focus on one year ? If it was that good a year he’d still be there. He can have good seasons statically but unless he decides to stop holding onto the ball way too long, deliberately ignoring wide open receivers(which he did in Philly) and instead throw into double coverage and get picked off, and unless he rediscovers an internal okay clock it won’t matter what team he’s on, or the best OLine in the league, he won’t have the success his talent out of North Dakota suggested.

well when a players Personal decisions have an impact on the success of his team then he has a right to be pissed off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Khalil Mack traded from Chicago to the Chargers for a 2d round pick this year and a 6th next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

That's really the first evidence we have of the direction Poles is going in. Clearly he doesn't think this team can compete this year with a minor reshuffle and is tearing it down. Eat the dead cap of $24m this year and enter FA next year with an additional $28m in space.

I'd trade Robert Quinn coming off 18.5 sacks too if there is interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I didn't like this at all when I first heard just because it didn't add up to great value but the charges are also eating the salary so it makes some sense. Also agree they should keep trading while they're at it, load up on picks, after many years now of frittering them away in trades and moves up the board, and clean up the cap after years of kicking the can on salaries down the road through restructures for a win now that never came. I can certainly take a couple of years of "development" instead of 7-9 wins in perpetuity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement