Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am certain at this stage that Putin has lost his mind. Judging by some politicians that have meet him in recent times they are thinking the same thing. Like it or not, looks like Europe will have to face him down as if he gets away with his maniacal war in Ukraine he will turn to the rest of us in due time. A no-fly zone being enforced over Ukraine is the first step.

Time to completely blank all fanatics on the ultra-left supporting the madman putin.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

I'm bashing nothing man, Just calling you out on your need to concentrate on $hit that happened 200 years ago rather than a Holocaust that happened less than 80 years ago. Bash away back yourself.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

cant enforce a no fly zoe over Ukraine with WW3

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Do not even think about understanding the emotions of people that lived through war times. I got few stories from my grandmother - she lived through 2 WW (I'm Polish). She was always saying that Germans were terrible, but soldiers of the Red Army were way worse. You don't want to know the details and I guess I was not given all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Warsaw government is taking over some Soviet buildings that were not returned back when the Iron Curtain felt in 1989 despite of Polish court verdicts. Those properties will be used to accommodate the refugees.

• Advertisement

just been reported that the company behind nordstream 2 has filed for bankruptcy. So that whole project is well and truly over

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nah, mine was an explanation of how the Poles feel about Germany. It's mostly benign historically and currently as against their visceral hatred of Russia for that nearly 200 years of brutality. If you want to swirl that all around in six years of history, extremely shameful history no question, you are most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

I do cast a doubt on what I see and hear.

Do you remember the recent news with the Ukrainian border guards allegedly killed by Russia?

Well, Russia said they were alive since the beginning. I thought it might be a piece of propaganda, so that it is better to watch what happens next.

It turns out they are alive: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10556129/Hero-Ukrainian-troops-believed-killed-likely-SURVIVED.html

As you can see, both sides are spreading lies in this war. Of course, everyone will say it is not intentional. It is called information warfare. If you trust your western media sources - sure, why not. Not all what we hear or see is truth and there is little independent journalism nowadays. It applies to authoritarian states (Russia/China/Iran/etc), as well as western democracy. Why should I not question what I hear or see?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Beating around the bush.

An aggressor, Russia, has invaded a sovereign state and is currently killing civilians. What is preventing you from judging this extremely harshly? I'm genuinely curious. The hard left in 2003 were marching on the streets:

Richard Boyd Barrett, head of the Irish anti-war movement, said the unprecedented size of the rally would force the government to listen. 'They cannot ignore what has taken place in Dublin. This is the people saying that enough is enough, we want the US military out of Ireland and we don't want this evil war.'

The hard left when Russia illegally invades a democratic state: "ah now, we can't be making any rash judgements here"

Moral bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I studied a bit about Eastern Europe during the war and after. I know exactly what they got up to but no harm hammering it home I think to those that naively think the Russians wouldn’t do such things.

And you’ll find similar feelings across eastern and Central Europe. But Poland and the Baltic’s in particular as they had centuries of the bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

I wouldn’t bet on it. A severe energy crises in Europe could change things quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

I have family and friends who lived through that, but I don't think it has any place in this thread.

I suggest you take your whatabouttery and yourself back to the motherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What makes you think of don't judge it extremely harshly?

One thing you can guarantee he won’t be doing that. They never put themselves in the cannon fodder of their dear leader Putin- Why do you think they fcuk off to western democracies in the first place?

Long paragraphs waffling about not being able to find out the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

whats going on with this convoy ? Are the Russians that incompetent really ? Are his troops in tanks really turning around when confronted by a few locals with sticks and stones and some colourful language ? Some of this makes me think Vlad is still hoping a bit of scare tactics, some posturing and pressure and he'll get what he wants. Feels like he is holding back a bit maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The first casualty of war is always the truth.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Most of Europe has about 4 weeks of a fairly mild winter left so that is a very low risk, plus there are 60m barrels of oil coming onstream from storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

The Ukranians, if they have any decent missle launchers, need to bomb the last 500m and the first 500m of that convoy. It effectively immobilises the whole thing as they can't just drive into the field as most of them will sink. After that its bide your time and wait for the new planes to take out the rest at their leisure. Losing that much equipment would not only scupper the Ukrainian offensive it would would Russia itself in an incredible weak position. Losing that much equipment would leave them in dire straits should other states rise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Nice of the Russian army to abandon one of their mobile Human Rights Violation platforms for the Ukrainian army to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

You weren't talking about Poland though, were ya? You were talking about Ukraine, and how the Germans and Austrians 'ran the place in a civilised manner'. When I called you out on how the Germans actually ran the country in a total barbaric manner less than 80 years ago, you decided to get smarmy and throw some pissy digs about me bashing a keyboard.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why should I not question what I hear or see?

The big difference living here in the West is you can question what you hear or see to your heart's content. People may disagree, maybe even insult you, but you can still question and do so far more comfortably here than in Putin's Russia.

We have a few Irish politicians, utter wastes of space(a low bar among Irish politicians), who are publicly questioning the current narrative about Russia and Ukraine. But they can. They'll get roasted on Twitter or here, but they don't have to worry about falling out of fifth floor windows, or putting on poisoned underwear, or drinking a cup of poison laced tea, or being shot to death on a Dublin street.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There’s been a major reawakening here and in Europe- we simply cannot allow our lives be held over a barrel (excuse the pun) like this. We are going to have be more energy self sufficient and that means everything like our peat stations (here in Ireland), nuclear power, fracking, oil/gas exploration off our shores has to be on the table

No, I said Poland, you assumed Ukraine. The Polish partitions occurred in 1773, 1793 and 1795. Ukraine at that time was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the western part went to Austria with southern Poland. Think the rest of it ended up in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I cannot see Russia targeting Ukrainian citizens indiscriminately like some are suggesting. I cannot see them committing mass genocide or blanket bombing urban centres because they will immediately lose hearts and minds at home which will rapidly cause Putin's downfall. Hopefully he will be ousted sooner rather than later either way.

I do see Russia targeting strategic and military sites which will result in many civilian casualties. If I were living close to a potential target, I would be long gone.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Do you honestly think the people maimed and killed by cluster bombs, or the family burned alive by a missile strike just a few hours ago are just really good crisis actors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

once a russian missile destroys a Ukrainian Nuclear power station, the excrement will hit the fan

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Putin has been attempting to undermine the West and the world order for years. He'd of course like to see NATO break up, but it's killing him that he's been unsuccessful in the venture so far. He thought he was close when Trump was POTUS, but it turns out that Trump is an incompetent, raving manchild who fell at the COVID hurdle and couldn't stay in the job.

And what a terrible position to try and negotiate from by invading Ukraine. This action has severely spooked the western world, and spurred it into action. We were enjoying a nice period of peace in Europe (you don't have to do much reading before you realise just how bloody the history of Europe is) and here comes Russia drunk on vodka, being the pr*ck at the party.

Poots... if I may call you that. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you want more countries nearby to align with you, maybe stop being the leader of a country with increasingly less and less to offer the world culturally and economically.

Bottom line is that if there must be hegemonies in the world, I'll accept the American one with NATO backing it up, even though I far from agree with everything they do in the world. It's still more open and rich than the glum Russian alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Now point the thing at that several km line of trucks or the troops dug in at that airport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement