Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The more I play, the more pleasantly surprised I am with how good the open world is, and also, how tight the controls are while you're on Torrent. Its really well done.

Quick question - those little stakes, with the semi circle on top - when you touch them, it says 'summoning pool active' - what does that mean?

I've been using the furcalling item so that i can see summon signs, but what does that little stake thing do?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Does anyone know if it's possible to reallocate stats? Made a few mistakes early in on my playthrough and enemies don't really drop enough runes to make farming worthwhile.

I'm playing as Confessor and I use the starting finger seal (levelled up) to do incantations. The first few incantations you get are defensive but there's more offensive possibilites further into the game. I'd recommend putting some stats into mind and faith for this. I could be wrong, but I think a staff/sorcery combo is more geared towards a mage build (astrologer ) rather than Confessor. Again, I could be wrong, this is the first time I've done a faith build!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Beat the main boss of the 2nd main dungeon yesterday. Thought I'd then progress on to the region further north, but found a lift in a small building nearby in the open world which brought me way down. I explored around a bit and it just kept opening up until I found a map which showed how big it was. Ended up spending a couple hours just messing around down there. And this is the second area like this I've seen, makes you wonder just how big the overall map is.

I haven't done this so not sure how it actually works out, but it looks like you get the option to reallocate stats after defeating the main boss of the 2nd dungeon.

You also need a particular item though which I think is pretty rare. I happened to find one with a vendor not long after I beat that boss, so bought it just in case I'd want to use it later.

• Advertisement

Yeah I found a merchant selling that item, didn't know what it was look looked it up. Don't think they were expensive about 2-3k each? And now I can't remember which merchant it was, possibly the one in that BIG impressive underground area?

Yeah now I think of it, it was probably in the big underground area alright.

My jaw was on the floor at the reveal of that area!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just started it and struggling a bit to get my head around it. Dark Souls was so simple and brilliant. You had to get through one area to progress to the next. When you died you followed the same path. This seems so open that I'm wandering around achieving nothing, or so it seems. Am I missing something or is there actually a set path or mission to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

it is killing me i wont touch ER until weekend D:

and ya is there any Berserk (manga) fan? The greatsword i got definitely is a reference and there is a

graveyard area with giant swords i saw

(and ye all DSs are full of berserk influence anyhow)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it truly a dark souls game without Berserk references?

There is a direct path: on your map with some sites of grace youll see a golden line pointing towards a direction, that's the direction you should be going if you just want to do the main story/main sub quests.

My advice would be to just explore though, you may feel like you're achieving nothing but in reality your're getting all sorts of useful items that will help you throughout the game! I think I had put around 15 hours in before I even faced the first boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hold on, two Imp dudes? I'm playing Confessor and didn't notice this at all.

I pumped two points into Faith and got Mind to 20. Haven't increased anything else yet.

Scratch that I'm actually playing Prophet.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My starting gift was wasted in the first second when I pressed the item button and the character used it....

Wish I'd gone with the imps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

this time (very likely) thats a tribute to the manga dude :'( the feels...

Yeah, one of the starting gifts for Confessor was 'Twin Fanged Imps'. They're a constant source of joy when I ring the bell and they pop in and wreck the place. They get their hands dirty at close range but from medium/long range they'll throw some magic bombs around. Legends!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Golden seed is the best starting gift by far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Golden Seed is invaluable especially if you’re a caster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

If you take the stonefang key and use it to unlock the fog door at top you can get a erdtree branch that boosts everything early and supposedly a golden seed ( though I am get to find that yet).

I would think this is alot more handy as you boost all stats and also get the flask update.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah I went Golden Seed at the start too. Found another fairly early on so alternative the flasks between 6/0 or 5/1 in favour of healing.

Did I miss something or someone, you can't upgrade armor? Guy at round table doesn't seem to and Boc is just free alterations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find it very stressful having to split them in favour of healing and casting 😅 Some bosses I’ll go nearly all in on casting if I know I can avoid too much damage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

There is a farming spot(5.5K runes from 5 enemies) at

Farum Greatbridge

Assuming you've been that far east.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Risky strategy that! Or maybe you only favour casting after many attempts when you know their patterns. 😁

Haven't been able to play since the wkend so still too early for me to need more than 1 flask for casting - I remember in DS3 I only used it to apply magic to my weapon but this game seems to encourage you to dabble more in that side of things.

Also, I like how the game not-so-subtly makes you think about how to approach a situation - I was doing fairly well stealthing about and taking out groups one enemy at a time - but that didn't seem to work when I ran up to the castle place, **** ton of archers and other mobs. I then remembered I can

summon a pack of wolves and let them distract some of the enemies while I work my way up the side and take the rest out from behind

I forgot I had other tools at my disposal rather than just melee weapons. 🙂

Looking forward to diving back in tonight.

Managed to beat the second boss I tried, compared to the first in stormveil, it was ridiculously easy.

It was the Queen in the academy, just went with aggression and that was pretty much it. Won't tell me what to do with the rune unlike the first guy but it seems I can now change my spec

Whats the legit way up there, I have the key which I found while running around and poking a bear so to speak in the process. I knew I needed the key from speaking to someone earlier but can't see a way up???

A few other NPC quests and headscratchers in that area, certain NPC mentioned, NPC name and some details below.

an Iron Virgin teleporter/waterwheel or something that would get me up there but Patches being Patches I'm sure he's sending me to my doon but I'd still like to do it for laughs,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Beat the two bosses at Stormveil first try somehow, the summon NPCs help a lot.

Lake area above Stormveil Castle spoiler

Completely lost it laughing when those little black dudes came running out of the bushes at me 🤣

So it's over to the west of the map past storm veil, if you go in that general direction grace will put you on your way. You will soon find said waterwheel and a giant glintstone door to use said key. The area itself seems smaller than stormveil Castle but the sorcerers are alot quicker than it should be.

Quest hint below

There is another glintstone key in here if you do a spot of jumping on the roofs after you beat the mid boss. Instead of goin to fight the queen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

First time playing a souls game, I'm loving this, just beat

Just beat beast man in the grove.

Advertisement