Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

I'd say mask wearers were in the majority in my local Lidl today, probably at least 60/40 if not 70/30. None of the floor staff were wearing one, but the (only) checkout girl was wearing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

sure for all I know I could have the virus.. but my main argument with you is this

"The difference is that those now happily moving on without masks have generally always been pro-choice, whereas the mask advocates are generally authoritarian and want everyone else to not just respect their choice, but make the same choice as well."

your words.. such bull - totally and utterly

for your info.. I wore my mask in the SM again today - cos it felt v warm in there.. today it wasn't cos I felt that staff expected me too.. and I am v pro choice..

Yes in all situations.

Masks may not be mandatory any longer, but they are recommended in health care settings, which includes pharmacies (and I presume dentists' offices).

Seems to be causing some confusion... both for customers and staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

No, you made no suggestion of having the virus. You said you felt odd about not having a mask on and perhaps institutionalised.

As I said, neither of those are anything to do with health or anyone else, and it's equally your choice whether to follow this realisation to its conclusion and either : work through the no doubt temporary feelings of discomfort, or continue to mask up as the easier option.

However, your tone (and that of many other posters) in these responses ("such bull" indeed) validates my point - ultimately you want others to go along so that you feel more comfortable and validated in your choice. What THEY want doesn't matter.

That's the difference here. I don't care whether some continue to wear masks. I DO care about them trying to pressure me or others to do likewise, and because we have already seen how national policy and decision making has been led by such conservative and indeed selfish attitudes, hence why it's taken so long to finally emerge from some of the longest restrictions in Europe if not the world.

Covid is thankfully in the rear view mirror. Yes there were unfortunately casualties (but that was always going to be the case) and there are some who will still need to be careful, but it's now at a stage where the level of threat is even less than the generally low level it's always been. It was never the Black Death or mass killer we thought it could be in early 2020, and that is a good thing and something we should all be thankful for.

So again, it's time to move on and deal with the huge domestic issues facing the country that have been put on hold or allowed to worsen over the past 2 years - from health care to housing - not continue to obsess and fret about something that statistically is of little to no real risk to the vast majority of people that have already put up with so much.

Ciara Kelly on Newstalk put it perfectly recently when she said that the Covid measures were to address health concerns, not the anxieties of some. It was true then, it's definitely true now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

In the local shop yesterday morning getting a sandwich(wearing a mask). One of the local workers who would know all the staff came in saying "yeah no mask,no mask,no mask..uh oh mask! We both laughed and I said I understand your joy at not wearing a mask and he said he respected the fact that I was wearing one. We had a grand chat and both went on about our day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

Your imagination running wild, I seldom wore them and I couldn’t give two hoots about anyone still wanting to wear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

First day out shopping without a mask, so nice to be able to see people's faces on a lovely sunny day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭RoTelly

No

I asked a few people who weren't wear masks why they decided not to wear them... they went in to an anti-mask tirade, didn't think that many people felt so strongly about mask wearing!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

@_Kaiser_

"ultimately you want others to go along so that you feel more comfortable and validated in your choice. What THEY want doesn't matter"

I never said I wanted anyone to do anything! you said people who want others to wear masks are authoritarian" etc.. thats bull!

your thinking is v distorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Advertisement

No

Fully respect those wanting to wear masks for their own reasons- none of my business why.

But these Tubridy types, “oh I wasn’t wearing a mask, then I seen others wearing one so I put mine on too”, grow some courage and conviction. What a poor excuse, basically a version of what will the neighbours think.

(this is the same Tubridy who spent a Late Late Show in November giving out to a masked audience, including yours truly, about ‘stupid masks’)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Deregos.

No

I'll only wear a mask now if I'm robbing something where there's CCTV, don't want them splashing me mug all over Crimecall.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes in all situations.

Yeah, it's the right way to be. I fully respect people's lawful choices and would never have questioned anyone outside of work even if they weren't wearing a mask. I did feel sorry for minimum wage workers (often just school aged kids) in shops who were expected to challenge those who chose to not wear a mask when mandated to do so though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

No

What would you do if she were shitless? 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

Interesting to see that while masks are "required" in healthcare settings, it's not legally enforceable.

That's excellent news, thanks for the link Loueze, that means that face rags are no longer legally enforceable anywhere in the country, except perhaps for airports 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonage

"Met a little old lady carrying a very large flatscreen TV up a flight of stairs , she was panting and could hardly breathe so in desperation I ripped the maskoff her and explained that she didn't have to wear it."

Comedy gold!

Yes in all situations.

Currently covid, even "mild, I feel fine covid", or coincidental covid with other diagnosis closes wards to general admissions, meaning the already shīt Irish healthcare system is that little bit shíter for those people awaiting a bed. So anything that helps reduce that wait for a bed, even a small bit, is a good thing imo.

Particularly when it's hoped the issue in hospitals could be improving soon why would people need to go on some crusade and not wear a mask, in an environment literally wall to wall with the most vulnerable? Is their life that devoid of anything useful they'd really do that? Unfortunately I know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No

I presume that as soon as Covid has passed, you’ll be in for an elective tonsil and appendix removal, so as not to risk taking up a hospital bed in any future emergency? Better safe than sorry. You wouldn’t want to be taking up a hospital bed for something you could remedy easily.

Yes in all situations.

Yeah that's what I'll be doing derp derp derp.

I work in a hospital so I'll be back in there tomorrow, as for the rest of your point not a fúckin clue what your point is and I have no interest in finding out. You have a lovely day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

No

still a few in the office that can't let go of their fear and keep wearing the mask, their choice of course i actually feel a bit sorry for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No

Well why keep your tonsils or appendix, both perform no role in your body, but a burst appendix could have you bed blocking, so i'd assume you'll have it removed as soon as the emergency is over so as not to run the risk of taking a bed in the next emergency.

Yes in all situations.

If I have my apppendix out they don't need to keep that bed only for appendixes for the next 7 days, or only allow appendixes into surrounding beds for the next 7 days. Appendicitis is non transmissible.

But yeah otherwise your example is exactly the same.

Honestly, I didn't think it would be particularly controversial to suggest regardless of the law, if a hospital asks you to wear a mask, you should, and it might be a good idea to do this simple thing, even if your sceptical, to reduce risk to people acutely ill in hospital, or to increase people's chances of getting an inpatient bed quicker.

But there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

A person still wearing a mask is doing so to protect you and not themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

No

Not me maybe someone they care about, people couldn't give two f**ks about random strangers or worse work colleagues be real

No

I don't need their protection, whether it be legally mandated or voluntary.

No

Or so they have been conditioned to believe, my local butcher had a man in on Monday with a mask on and he told the butcher that he had 15 pints in the pub on Sunday so the butcher asks him why he was wearing the mask if he was in a packed pub all day Sunday without a mask, he still failed to grasp the logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

even if they have covid?

Let's say you get up in the morning and are feeling groggy but not sick enough to stay home and wonder are you coming down with something. You are probably ok but maybe you have covid as it's the most likely reason you have cold-like symptoms. So instead of taking the chance of possibly infecting all your colleagues and the disruption, it will cause your workplace you wear a mask. It may or may not help but at least you were not the a$$ who made everyone sick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No

People talking about going up to others and asking why they are or are not wearing masks are **** ridiculous. Mind your own business ffs.

If you want to wear one, great. If you don't, also great. No one else's business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement