Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

We're six days into this. The Russian people, both at home and elsewhere,have done sweet FA...... I couldn't care less how the sanctions affect them now. Their country deserves to rot. Absolute shower of cowardly bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I see we have many new friends who claim to know little about the issues but can still provide detailed responses ignoring an actual invasion, just to provide "an alternative view."

Welcome! But your predecessors used the same tactics and it's as clear as day what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, they keep referring to it as "the special operation to protect the Donbas". The level of control Putin has over the media is ferocious - anyone who dares criticise him risks having their TV or radio station shut down on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Unfortunately it does. Along with other controls and Internet usage as detailed by another poster Twitter is heavily restricted in Russia and their answer to Facebook, VK is state controlled.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

On mobile you go into edit profile and down the bottom is an option called Ignore List. You just pop in the username then into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes. I’d have no issue with it whatsoever. That’s war and their government has chosen. Hopefully all covered under the bulk of the sanctions in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

I have no idea what Putin really thinks. I am just familiar with the official narrative that I tried to substantiate it with some "facts". If there is a decision to send all Russians home, sure, I will be in Russia or in some other place. I do not support killings of the civilians. I cannot say I support or do not support Putin because I have no enough information on this war. If there is an official document provided by the UN and supported by evidence that says that Russia is intentionally bombing civilians and committing war crimes, I will strongly condemn that.

Did the West condemn NATO for bombing Yugoslavia (which basically means 'did NATO condemn itself')? Probably not, read the Time cover: http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19950911,00.html 'Bringing the Serbs to Hell'. Are there good NATO bombs, and bad Russian ones? The result will be the same - civilian losses.

If NATO bombed Yugoslavia and US bombed many other countries, do not be surprised that someone decided to do just that putting the usual 'genocide'/'special military operation' words around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That Thomas burn guy is a dreadful communicator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭omega man

Is it possible that the Russian forces are not as well trained or equipped as was previously assumed or is this intentionally a hesitant invasion for whatever reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What about the millions of Russians who live throughout the west. They know exactly what's happening but apart from a small minority they refuse to condemn putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Katyn 2. Coming to a forest near you, if you're Ukrainian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just to be clear you are saying starve all the Russian men women and kids and deny them access to medicine because of what putin and his cronies have done.

I’ll ask you again, are you sure about this being what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Reported Ukranian forces have taken a Russian occupied town in Donetsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

In hindsight, Russia’s military drills off the Irish coast was a message - and our defensive uselessness has been highlighted for all to see. Finland is also neutral but yet they’ve spent defensively for obvious reasons with Putin as their neighbour. Ireland should at least have modern radar, and a basic emergency fleet to respond to unannounced jets in our airspace / sea space, etc.

I can see a lot of de escalation in the language coming from Jen Psaki in the US and Boris in the U.K. - both stating they don’t want to go to war with Russia today. Just watched Blinken’s speech - disappointing.

A way out of this needs to be found - not sure Putin is taking the ‘peace talks’ seriously although if there were some concessions re separatist regions, it would offer him a way out - time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Have a look at the Real Life Lore video on YouTube.

This war was always going to happen. It’s about oil/gas and water for Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This lady crying at Boris because abramovich and Putin's children are in mansions in London and Netherlands. It's pretty disturbing, does she think we should punish children for the sins of their parents? We would be no better than the oligarchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

So untill there is a document by the UN you will not condone the invasion of russia into the Ukraine? Yeah you need be kicked off on a 24h boat and train ride home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Send them back to Russia and strip the assets

Im sure all this lovey dovey shite flies in your world. But these people get to live in absolute western luxury here but prop up dictators at home whom send boys to die abroad. The Russian people are being robbed of their money and their sons.

But you want to ignore all that and give people hugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nobody would be suggesting hurting the children but they should be sent home.

Surely if the West was that evil. himself and his Oligarchs would be delighted to have their children educated in Russia instead

If I had children in Kiev, I'd probably be calling for Putin's kids to be sent to Kiev and strapped to the front of a hospital.......not to hurt them of course, but the let them experience what their day is doing to the Ukrainian kids .. educational like.

In reality that should never be done. But it's easy for me to say that from here

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

He posted the same sh!te yesterday or couple of days ago, prob will do the same again in 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Curious as to know what the state of mind of Putin and how he has not been challenged. Today a former Russian foreign affairs minister called on all diplomats to resign en masse, a noble call but hollow gesture to say the least. Just read an article that looked at the psychology behind Putin. The article drew a conclusion to Nixon during the war in Vietnam in that Nixon threatened nuclear war in the vain attempt to believe that the Viet Cong would come to the negotiation table. Putin has come to epitomize evil a friend opined to me this eve over coffee. I want to think that there are no evil men in the world however seeing that cold dead eyes of Putin mixed with his frosty rhetoric I firmly believe the man is well and truly unhinged beyond any sort of rationalization or sensible reasoning that diplomats might do. Another thing - his body language, look at how he nearly practically sat on the lap of Lukashenko of Belarus, the two looking very cosy. Lukashenko at one point wanted to usurp Putin as president in an attempt to unify the two countries. Contrast this with Zelensky who is fiery but level headed. Whomever is advising Zelensky is doing a marvellous job - he has called on all legal and diplomatic solutions to be used, its extraordinary how it is working. The Russian troops morale is battered with them not having fuel or food and lack of orders. That starts with the top down and drips feed into the lower echelons through the corporals etc.

Media outlets are blocking RT from all their platforms, the main source of disinformation for the propaganda that the Russian state wants to share along with the Sputnik newspaper. Given that there is vast amounts of bots on Facebook or teams of 'hackers' or (like the Israeli hasbra) teams of Russians who spread propganda - the social media companies have done an excellent job. Google removed a lot of the search results for RT today from their search results. Stems the tide of nonsense that Moscow are prepared to spout and curbs their ability to tell outright lies to the world.

Worldwide Russia is now taking a battering in the cultural and sporting arenas - Eurovision, Formula 1, World Cup, Champions League, Olympics etc etc. Even our own theatres banning the ballet companies touring. None of these seem like anything of significance in the bigger picture yet collectively you look at all of these things together and its isolates them from the pursuits enjoyed by most of the ordinary Russians, people who want to cheer their country from the sidelines. They see the world not standing for their antics and they then question - are we right in what our president is doing? That sparks a cascade of unhappiness joined up by a demoralised army and then you finally come to see the piece de resistance - the economic sanctions.

In an earlier post I put that the rouble had fallen by about 20% - a huge drop in the savings for most and the Russians responded with banning the selling of foreigh currency in large amounts and raised interest rates by 10% to 20%. Any goods that Russians want to buy online are now going to be significantly more expensive and the value of wages is going to be less giving less purchasing power to the ordinary Russians. The Russian state banks have a couple of billion to keep them afloat for the moment but cant keep going on the basis of what they currently have, something is going to have to give. Eliminating them from the Swift pay system pushes them to the brink,sparking a run on the banks that will diminish the amount of money available. Oridinary Russians will sit up thinking "we have to get rid of this mad man", 90 people were arrested today in St Petersburg for protesting the war . Russian pop stars condemned the war too.

Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the brave (in this case the Ukranians and the Russian working classes)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm going to go out on a limb and... Do exactly what the Ukrainians did in 2014 and stand up to a dictator......... Or do you not know about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Spot on. How many of the Russian football team to give one example have come out with criticism of this. And they'd be well aware of exactly what's going on so the excuse of "the Russian people don't know there's a war/invasion" doesnt apply to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement