Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The thing at the end if wrong as they are Semi finals to be played on the weekend of 26th/27th Match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

Or where they work

"The man from Micky Murphy Motors"

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Austin Gleeson was immense today, particularly in the second half, was taking treatment off the ball all game but his reaction was to start scoring points from all over the field, really encouraging to see him like this.

Colin dunford got a ridiculous red card, absolutely no need for him to hit the opponent and he had been flying up to that, 2-1 from play and looked like he would get more scores. he may struggle to get back in now with players returning and a suspension to serve.

A good win in a tough venue, but loads to work on too, strong wind but some of the wides were desperate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

anyone here at the match?

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

Were we on Allianz Sunday last night at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Was at he game, we travelled up and down in the one day - not much longer of a journey in terms of driving than going to Ennis to be honest.

Antrim put up a tough battle and were really "in your face all day", driven on by a very vocal home support. Dunford getting (rightly in my opinion) put off for poor pull made it more difficult, mind you the referee and his assistants missed two more blatant pulls by Antrim Players which were probably more deserving of red cards, and this inconsistency makes for very frustrating viewing.

The wind was very strong but Stephen Bennett had a real off day and shot some very poor wides which again made life hard for us. Probably a bit more worrying for me was that despite this he had a couple opportunities from play and placed balls to put the ball into space where forwards had made good runs, but he went for his own scores. I really expect more from a player of his experience and caliber at this stage.

It was a performance with not a lot to get excited about, the exceptions for me being as follows:

• It was a good tough outing for TDB who faced a good physical challenge for the 70 + minutes, as opposed to the stroll in the park last time out. This will have done him the world of good.
    • Aussie is really starting to show great form, maturity and leadership . He scored 8 points from frees, play and a sideline cut., and he had to endure a huge amount of close attention and at times what looked like pure provocation, but in the majority he did not get involved. he focused on his game throughout and this for me is a real sign of a new maturity.
    • The form of Dunford looked good until his dismissal and Michael Kiely looks a real handful, the amount of pressure he put on the Antrim full-back line even though being out numbered was great to watch. Tom Barron continues to put up his hand, while Monty and Darragh Lyons were a mixture of the Good and Bad, but considering it was their first outing in difficult circumstances, i personally was quite happy with them both.
    • All in All Antrim have ben putting it up to teams so far this campaign and yesterday was no different. A two point win having played with 14 men for nearly 50 minutes including stoppage time, up in Antrim was a very good win.

When Joe met Aussie

And Aussies 2 hands are raw red from punishment. A warrior

• Advertisement

Nope nothing was shown, only talked about for a few seconds

all 1B games on TV this coming weekend

GAAGO Games this weekend

8 GAA games will be covered in next weekend's live TV coverage

https://the42.ie/5696180

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

A veritable feast of hurling to look forward to.

While “only the league”, it’s interesting to observe thus far. Tipp are struggling and I’m not surprised that Dublin turned them over (having seen them play Waterford in Parnell Park). Dublin/Kilkenny on Saturday looks like a nice appetiser for the weekend action. I didn’t rate Galway much (this year) but was surprised how easily they were beaten last Sunday (maybe Wexford are improving steadily, in Davy’s absence). The aura around Limerick has slipped ; I know they were missing players (injuries/suspensions/whatever) but I can’t ever remember the dominant Kilkenny team of the noughties losing 3 games in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Interesting to see Joxer move to Midleton after leaving Ballyhale. Believe he is coach with Midleton whereas he was the manager with Ballyhale, so might be a somewhat less intense role.

To an extent Sundays game is a must win for us as esp with Round 5 been Tipp are home to Antrim and Laois vs Dubin, while we travel to Kilkenny

At least we'll have an idea what job needs to be done after Saturdays Dublin vs Kilkenny game

Interesting that Lyons and Barron won’t be back in until the Kilkenny game at the earliest. While both carrying knocks I suspect there’s no rush from management. Those 2 lads are the engine room of the team and you want them right for Munster championship and ready to go for the gruelling 4 games in 5 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

You touch on an interesting point. With the games in quick succession and with the teams competing for the 3 qualification spots fairly closely matched I think we're going to see teams need a core group of 20 players with a further periphery group of 5 or 6. I've long held the view that while Waterford didn't have as many 9 out of 10 players as other teams we did have a big supply of 7/10 players. The key for Liam Cahill is to try to bring these guys up a level so that they can slot in when needed. To be fair I think he did that with Peter Hogan last year and he looks to be trying to do similar with Colin Dunford this year.

It seems futile to be trying to name a best 15 going into the provincial championships, each county needs to be looking at a best 26 or even a best 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

What's up with both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any team news ahead of Sunday? You'd imagine we'll see the Ballygunner lads back and possibly a starting 15 a bit closer to what we'd expect come championship. The time of trying out new faces will probably have ended to at least some extent last weekend and now a case of going with maybe 12-13 of those who will make up the championship first 15. Although as a previous poster pointed out with Jamie Barron and Calum Lyons possibly being away until the KK game, there will still be chances up for grabs.

A win will guarantee a place in the league semi's and I think we're all expecting a win against a Tipp side who seem to be finding their feet under Colm Bonnar but it will certainly be a step up from the last two games.

The result of the Dublin vs Kilkenny game on Saturday ill say a lot about the league table and at least we'll have an idea of what needs to be done before throw in Sunday. Kilkenny out if they lose but if they win will create a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yeah a win Sunday pretty much puts us through no matter what happens in the last game. If kk win v dub and we won Sunday then the worst we could finish on the last day is level with Dublin which would mean our scoring difference would mean we finish higher in table

2pm start for our home championship games against Tipperary (17th April) and Cork (15th May)

7pm for our trip to Limerick on the 23rd April

Time tbc for our last game away to Clare on the 22nd May

Team unusually late

Hope someone's not after getting injured

Yes thought team be in by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

No Aussie, Dessie, Jamie Barron or Calum Lyons. You would have to favour Tipp with them missing

Advertisement