Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Which is weird as they have a love/hate relationship with India who abstained from the UN Security Council vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

The Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau should be ashamed of himself. Stating he has sent "a powerful message" by banning oil import from Russia when Canada in fact does not buy Russian oil.

Playing politics and not taking Russian aggression seriously. Shame on him, he just sinks lower and lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

A) I don't think Ukraine will ever be admitted to the EU while Russia occupies any part of its officially-recognised territory, including Crimea. EU leaders like Von Der Leyen can make emotional pronouncements in public speeches about wanting Ukraine in the club, but the pragmatists behind the scenes are not going to go for that at all. Not in the current situation. Even forgetting about the war/occupation, there's grounds to ask if it can be admitted due to government corruption.

B) No, NATO would not get involved. NATO's official position is that if a NATO country is attacked, the whole bloc is attacked, but being in the EU doesn't mean being in NATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Have we had the discussion about India’s de facto support for Russia yet?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A few months ago 3 scumbags were crushed to death while driving a stolen car after colliding with a lorry. There was minimal public sympathy for them and even less when their friends and family celebrated them being criminal vermin at the funeral. An aunt (or other relative) of one of the deceased took issue with all the negative public opinion and went on Joe Duffy complaining. She went on big spiels about how her nephew was a lovely lad and everyone is wrong and only God can judge etc. Whenever Duffy would ask her about his extensive criminal record, his violent history, the crime he was in the process of committing as he died she'd respond with "Oh I don't know", "So they say but we just don't know" and "I never heard or saw that myself".

I'm reminded of this by the posters here who come out with "Who knows what's really going on", "All sides are biased" and "I don't understand...." whenever Russia's crimes are mentioned, but the same posters are simultaneously firm in their convictions and are able post novels about how it's all Ukraine and NATOs fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You had no idea Navalny was poisoned, yet you suddenly produce all these Putinbot talking points out of thin air. Never having posted before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why Joliv? Genuinely. Better to read the other side, especially if they're not ranting and are to be fair including links, many of which are not Russian or Russian leaning. The phrase "know your enemy" is universal, but the original is: "If you know your enemy, you don't need to fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know only yourself and not the enemy, for every victory you will suffer defeat. If you don't know your enemy or yourself, you will be defeated in every battle" The Art of War. Sun Tzu.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Usually well known pro-Putin or partisan posters who find older accounts and start posting on them. This thread will start filling up with them. At least people in the Russian troll farms are paid, these ones do it for free

I am sorry Wibbs. You are absolutely right. I was frustrated by the poster because his claims were so outlandish.

I had a debate with a member of my extended family today. He reckoned it was all propaganda from the West to consolidate some form of New World Order. My patience is at a low ebb… I am in no form for fools tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

i can’t believe it’s not hesitant. Putin may be unhinged but he is still able to play political games. Ukraine is his current chess board and he’s pushing a few pawns forward to see will it be enough to get what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Absolutely. The way you put is strikingly wrong-headed. The Russian footbal team are 'innocent' yet FIFA should have kicked them to the kerb the day after the invasion. Russian employees of Russian banks are probably mostly 'innocent' but if they lose their jobs over this that is Putin's fault. The Russian Oligarchs are not innocent and affecting their lifetyle and that of their family members is more than legitimate and they well and truly are fair game as are all Russian entities in the west connected to the Putin regime.

Why you care more about these pampered kids than Putin does is beyond me. He can stop all this in an instant. You really shouldn't be white knighting and blaming the sanction bringers, blame Putin. He has literal blood on his hands, while those imposing ar calling for sanctions do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Russia just re-introduced the death penalty a few days ago.

Anyone organising protests against Putin, The Kremlin, or the war, will likely be tried for treason and executed.

I am very disappointed in Pakistan. By financing Russia, they are sustaining a war that results in the deaths of countless innocent lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any chance Putin might fall down a stairs or something else unfortunate like that? Surely there's some discussions in the shadows happening in the Kremlin or are the top brass utterly loyal to him no matter what?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Another backward shithole with a history of backing terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭billyhead

True. He's held back a lot of the army so far. I heard on the radio today that only small groups are being send into the city's. Some are special forces. The bulk of the army is held in reserve. Russia also has a considerable amount of army back in Russia. There army is huge. They spend more money on the military compared to the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

If it is non-mandatory, then I cannot compare it to the Ukrainian law that I was referring to:

The law, which obliges all citizens to know the Ukrainian language and makes it a mandatory requirement for civil servants, soldiers, doctors, and teachers, was championed by outgoing President Petro Poroshenko.

Then, it looks like there was additional development on the language topic based on the Human Rights Watch site:

The provision, which entered into force on January 16, is stipulated in article 25 of the law. It requires print media outlets registered in Ukraine to publish in Ukrainian. Publications in other languages must also be accompanied by a Ukrainian version, equivalent in content, volume, and method of printing. Additionally, places of distribution such as newsstands must have at least half their content in Ukrainian.

There are concerns about whether guarantees for minority languages are sufficient. The Venice Commission, the Council of Europe’s top advisory body on constitutional matters, said that several of the law’s articles, including article 25, “failed to strike a fair balance” between promoting the Ukrainian language and safeguarding minorities’ linguistic rights. It stated that “historical oppression of Ukrainian ... may lead to the adoption of positive measures aimed at promoting Ukrainian, but this cannot justify depriving the Russian language and its speakers of the protection granted to other languages…”

I have not heard that there are language laws prohibiting national languages in Russia. If there is something similar, please share. I have friends within the Russian minorities and we communicate in Russian, but there are people who don't even understand it and speak their national language.

You just quoted a Russian propaganda site by the way. It was announced from the Canadian minister of natural resources, he is prohibiting the future import of Russian oil or any associated products. It's part of the wider package (below)

SANCTIONS

•  Canada has sanctioned 58 people and entities connected to Russia, including key political leaders, oligarchs and their families, as well as the paramilitary organization known as the Wagner Group and several major Russian banks.
    •  Also on the list are members of the Russian Security Council, including key cabinet ministers close to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    •  Other sanctions target members of the Russian State Duma who voted to recognize the independence of Donetsk and Luhansk, two separatist regions of Ukraine that have suffered eight years of war fuelled by Russian weapons and troops.
    •  A ban on Canadians from engaging in transactions and activities in the non-government controlled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk.
    •  A prohibition on anyone dealing directly or indirectly in Russia's sovereign debt in a bid to prevent that country from raising debt to cover spending costs.
    •  Measures prior to this week's actions had already targeted more than 440 individuals and entities, and have aligned with similar measures taken by allies such as the European Union and Britain. The sanctions freeze assets and prohibit the conduct of financial transactions with any entity on the list. They also impose a ban on travel to Canada to any individual on the list.

MILITARY

•  Canada will send up to 460 additional troops to join the approximately 800 already deployed in Europe as part of NATO.
    •  On the ground, Canada will send a battery of artillery guns and an electronic warfare group. The battle group in Latvia already includes up to 540 Canadian personnel, vehicles and equipment.
    •  In the air, the military will send a CP-140 Aurora long-range patrol aircraft to serve under NATO command. On the water, a second frigate with a maritime helicopter will join NATO's Standing Naval Forces.
    •  About 3,400 Canadian Armed Forces personnel have also been authorized to deploy to Europe should NATO require the assistance.
    •  The federal government has offered up to $10 million in weapons and equipment to Ukraine. Included in that is $7.8 million worth of lethal weapons and ammunition.

OTHER ACTIONS

•  Canada is cancelling existing export permits for Russia, worth an estimated $700 million in trade.
    •  Canada has provided Ukraine up to $620 million in loans to help the country counter Russian efforts to destabilize the Ukrainian economy.
    •  At the start of February, Global Affairs Canada advised Canadians to avoid all travel to Ukraine. More recently, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly urged any Canadians in Ukraine to leave immediately.
    •  The federal government has also closed its embassy in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Daly and Wallace on RT last year. These two absolutely boil my blood. Two more Putin puppets masquerading as Irish representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Pretty deplorable thread. Lots of tacit excitement about the war and general exhilaration masked as concern. Huge amount of cliches and ignorance regarding Russia and Russian people being thrown about too. I doubt any of you have spent any time living in Russia or speaking with Russian people. Some fairly grotesque racism on show also. It’s actually embarrassing.

Funny, seems anything goes once people are channelled together against a common enemy. Surely ye are able to discuss what is happening like adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I noticed that today. It already started. A lot of 'whataboutery', america in Iraq, Israel, 'im not a fan of putin, but...' and 'just asking questions....'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,082 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Think it should be you ashamed of themselves to be honest.

I get the nagging feeling something is going on. Russians are extremely good at misdirection in conflicts and statecraft. If it isn't, perhaps they are having a serious issue with military morale, a lot of these soldiers are green, it will be hard not to notice they are invading another country, seeing the civilians, including Russian speakers, not welcoming them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Hmmmm interesting...can you cite some specific posts to illustrate:

"Lots of tacit excitement about the war"

"exhilaration masked as concern"

"grotesque racism"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭threeball

The actions of NATO are pretty sickening at this point. It's akin to sitting on a wall watching a friend getting his head kicked in and saying I'd jump in and help if only you were my best mate. Listen if you survive this maybe that can happen.

The reality is, Putin will always wave the nuclear stick and shout just you try it. And once he completes this massacre he'll move on and do it again. 10s of thousands of people will die shortly out of pure self interest. The Ukrainians should tell NATO and the EU to stick their membership up their hole if they have to go this alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I had a look and honestly, I think this is likely to be a far better appraisal of the situation and motivations: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement