Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To be verified...but no way 100's of vehicles destroyed. Would be a tiny fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

While NATO can only defend a fellow member, are there red lines that could be crossed? Is there anything that would trigger a.."ah, fook this" moment from NATO?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Looks pretty straight forward to me....

"“NATO should not expand eastwards either officially or unofficially” Seitz added.

The British representative also mentions the existence “general agreement” that NATO membership for Eastern European countries “unacceptable.”

“During the 2+4 negotiations, we made it clear that we would not expand NATO beyond the Elbe.” said West German diplomat Jurgen Hrobog. “That’s why we couldn’t offer Poland and others NATO membership.”

It was later revealed in the minutes that he was referring to the Oder River, the border between East Germany and Poland. Grobog also noted that West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and Foreign Minister Hans-Dietrich Genscher also agreed with this position.

The document was found in the UK National Archives by Joshua Shifrinson, professor of political science at Boston University in the US. It was noted “Secret” but at some point was declassified.

Shifrinson tweeted on Friday that he “deserved” work with Der Spiegel on a document showing that “Western diplomats thought they had really committed themselves to not expanding NATO.”

“Senior politicians deny that a non-expansion pledge was offered. This new document shows otherwise.” Shifrinson said in follow up tweet noting that “out” The Elbe or Oder by any measure includes the countries of Eastern Europe, to which NATO began to expand only eight years later."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Radio Moscow gone off the air?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

For those who poohpoohed the prediction that Vlad the Invader would eh, invade, just after the Winter Olympics concluded, and who have changed in tone and stance now that they had their geopolitical cop-on asses handed to them,you'll all be glad to know there's a tablet for that:-

Tyrenol

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1498800186759516166?t=MApFc7MxtMWbEEbTFJJaMQ&s=19.

It won't improve your cop-on, it's not a supplement.

May I suggest you use a whole box, left in the box, as a suppository? Should get right to your command and control circuitry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

And how many more Russians are following in behind them, Ukraine would defeat Russia given there amazing spirit and determination if even some additional strong air support was supplied. It's just too big an ask without the west actually providing intervention. God i really hope i am wrong and they can somehow pull off a miracle but i doubt it.

Throughout the thread i have seen time and time again comments about not intervening before in this case or that case, this country or another country and why should now be any different. Well maybe its time we all as a world stand up to bullies and say enough is enough, we failed before are we going to fail yet again in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Don't get me wrong, if there was no nuclear threat I think NATO should march to Moscow using conventional war methods and siege them into submission taking vast territory in any settlement but I still don't think innocent Russians should be expelled from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't know...it's getting late now and I don't think I want to consider that vista in too much detail (despite posting about it). Am just hoping for a better outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭standardg60

Which is why they've resorted to bombing from a distance, land forces are being decimated by western munitions. Footage of Russian soldiers looting shops indicates they're actually starving as the logistical supports can't get through.

That '40 mile attack convoy' is nothing of the sort, it's the logistical support which was meant to supply the troops occupying Kiev which is now stuck because there has been no advance

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Me too, sorry. I just keep thinking about the unfairness of what Putin has done and will probably get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

5,500 surpasses KIA for coalition forces during the entire 7 year Iraq war. In less than a week.

If that figure is anywhere near the mark, and you don't think it's affecting morale I really don't know what to tell you.

And people have levelled the charge of optimism bias at the Ukrainian side. Lord above.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You really do forget how much bad blood there is between Russia and all neighbors. Apart from really Serbia and subjugated Belarus, they are universally despised from all angles..

Didnt they “accidentally” shoot down a large Korean airliner in 1983 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Yes, that's what happened in former Yugoslavia. Completely airborne assault to halt ethnic cleansing and mass displacement outside of NATO countries.

Yes, that plane (flight 007) was also carrying a US congressman. There was an interesting podcast with Anne Applebaum from The Atlantic about the current situation and they compared Putin to Andropov, the Soviet leader then, both had misjudged their enemy and both were remarkably isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

No, I did not. However, you are referring to official EU documents. Most people that I know do not even read them. What is Ukrainian language policy is about is a bit different:

https : // www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/parliament-passes-ukrainian-language-bill.html

Foreign language films will have to be dubbed into Ukrainian. Only foreign language films meeting Ukrainian authorities’ quality standards or ones shown during film festivals can be subtitled, as opposed to being dubbed.

Under the bill, all schools and universities will be required to teach in Ukrainian.

Classes taught in ethnic minority languages will be allowed at Ukrainian-language schools, and some subjects at Ukrainian-language universities can be taught in English or one of the official languages of the European Union.

It was seen as largely pro-Ukrainian and anti-Russian in Russia (I doubt that Eastern Ukraine saw it differently but I do not know a lot of people from there). If I were in Eastern Ukraine, I would not like to be called "ethnic minority".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is there a way to stop internet traffic from Russia, to stop their cyber wars, as we know they'll try that. Can we eliminate their ability to even send such malware over their border

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Is the same not happening in Ukraine?

Ukraine has learned alot of the West I'm its time of need. Zelenesky has has Europe to prove its on its side. We wait and see what happens. I hope NATO sort Putin the bully once and for all.

Are you in Ireland?

Can you put a bag for life from a local store on the table, a receipt from the bottom of the bag, a letter head from Irish Water or ESB, a coin from your pocket with the Harp showing, Lidl Irish own brand something, a tag from jocks or a tea towel bought in dunnes stores or a bag or sugar? Any of the above. Take a picture, attach it to your response. I'd like to know if you are a Bot or if people sympathetic to the Russian regieme are Walking around North King Street and Smithfield Square.

Is 1985 your year of birth. If so, were your grandparents not a bit young to be fighting in WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

How come Belarus can join war with Russia but Putin would have a Mickey fit if Ukraine had boots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Since we're talking agreements, here's Ukraine handing over their nukes for a promise they wouldn't be threatened or invaded. Is it any wonder eastern European countries want to join NATO?

The west is totally letting him dictate what is and isn't a red line. NATO does seem to be sticking technically to its role as a defensive alliance. Practically though since we are clearly a participant in the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Even if that were achieved, a lot of their troll farms are based outside of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would bloody hope so, but cowards the lot of them, unfortunately. Should have happened before this and with history in mind, waiting for some incomprehensible atrocity shouldn't be necessary. There is more than sufficient threat to western principles, values and moralities to act now. I think we have reached this juncture precisely because no one has stood up to Putin's outrageous behaviours in the past, proving to him that the west is weak so he can get away with more. We are seeing the consequences of our moral cowardice, weakness and failure to act morally right now. Failing to call his bluff now is to risk worse in the future. Putin has aims and goals and a vision of a great Russia. He can't achieve any of those if he goes nuclear and condemn his country to annihilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This was posted 8 months ago. A talk from Andrei Illionov who resigned from the Putin Administration in 00s . This is a discussion on Putin's motives and his perception of events, its not endorsing him, this lad is no friend of Putin. I listened to it and find it interesting in expanding out possibly some of the reasons we are where we are with Russia

On 12 April 2000, Illarionov was invited by Vladimir Putin to be his senior economic adviser and in May 2000 he became the personal representative of the Russian president (sherpa) in the G8. He played an important role in introducing the low 13% flat income tax in Russia,[1] in earlier repayment the Russian foreign debt, in creation the petroleum revenues-based Stabilization Fund of the Russian Federation and in bringing Russia's full-fledged membership into the political G8.

On 3 January 2005 Illarionov resigned from his position as presidential representative to the G8 because of the government troops' storm of the Beslan school on 3 September 2004 leading to death of 333 children, their parents and teachers.[2] On 21 December 2005, Illarionov declared "This year Russia has become a different country. It is no longer a democratic country. It is no longer a free country". The Washington Post reported that he had cited a recent report by the human rights observer Freedom House.[3] On 27 December 2005, Illarionov offered his resignation in protest against the stealing of billions of dollars by Putin's inner circle from the Russian state via the IPO of state-owned company Rosneft. He claimed that that Russia was no longer politically free and ran by an authoritarian and corrupt elite. "It is one thing to work in a country that is partly free. It is another thing when the political system has changed, and the country has stopped being free and democratic," he said

Highlights of video:

-Putins been planning invasions since 2003

-Putins plan has been for all these newly attained countries same language, same religion and a prince at the top

-April 2008 Putin told bush that Ukraine was not a real country and half it belonged to russia, but nobody took Putin seriously

-Putins never hided his intentions, his use of “historic Russia” was basically him confirming his idea of what Russian borders should be

-Biden/Putin summit meeting was bad cause Biden didn’t put it to to Putin and speaker thinks Putin will invade Ukraine to remake “historical Russia”

-Putin won’t stop at Ukraine

-he predicted 200k troops would be moved to the border by September last year(29:45) Which he can use for large scale interventions (peacekeeping invasion?) in Ukraine

-American pundits have very limited understanding of Putin

-How does syria or libya relate to "historic Russia" ? Not related, this was foreign policy of supporting foreign tyrants for business and ideological reasons. Putin didnt want to see the dictators fall cause he could be next, keeping them up makes him stronger. USA is his only Adversary in his mind, seeing Biden as weak prompted him to get bolder

-Putin didnt respond when americans killed a bunch of Russians in Syria. Putin learned if somebody in the white house can give an order, his troops can be destroyed within minutes or hours, so the most important thing for Putin, is the ready of levelness of the current US president to use force to protect independence around the world (41:00), that is why he has tested each president one by one.

-Putin moved troops into Georgia cause he didnt think Bush would us troops. Bush said (Aug 11 some year) "I wold not recommend Putin make another step", US moved navy into position in nazy, next day russians announce operation in Georgia is finishe

-Then Putin tested obama when he moved his troops into Crimea in 2014. Obama said "I am not using american troops to defend Ukraine", Putin was happy and used troops to occupy Crimea

-When he met Trump he couldnt figure out if Trump would or not use troops. But he decided not to test Trump after Syria (Trump fans will love this) because nobody will know what will happen

-Biden would never "step up to Putin" which is why after inauguration there was a significant jump in hostilities in Ukraine. 5 days later Putin puts pipeline in North sea and now after "geneva summit" (last year) Putin was absolutely clear Biden wouldnt use any force or help to Ukraine which gave Putin Green light to use force against Neighbors

-Do you think that American military will make Putin back up ? Putin may consider military and political leadership as most important ! (if your leader is crap, you can be beaten), again seems like an insult to Biden (interested to see what Biden does later , wet fish or war president).

-How does Putin see historic Russia play into his developing relationship with China ? For Putin, it became one of the most important decisions, in early days of his presidency in 00s he wanted to develop strategic relationship with the US and NATO. He tried to join NATO cause he saw China as a great threat to Russia. Western leaders rejected Putin. So he had to look for other options available (develop relationship with China)

-Putin felt betrayed (because Iraq was soviet client state) on Iraq invasion, he thought Americans would talk with him regarding invasion. Hostoric opportunity lost

-US sees China as greatest threat and it would be in great interest for US to allure Russia away - Its too late ?! Could this be a problem for China (because Russia would be Chinas b*tch) - problem is that Putin doesnt trust the west or US. Putins problem is that he does not feel he is trusted by westerners (no sh*t) so Putin doesnt see why he should develop relationship with western leaders. (US should not expect a christmas card from Putin)

-When Putin is gone, how will US/EU/NATO develop trust with the replacement leader ?

Theoretically anyone could go after satellites or underwater cables and this has been a real worry in future warfare, which I guess now is present warfare.

I guess it’s kind of like blackening out the sun or using nuclear weapons: it hurts everyone. As we see in North Korea it’s not about information getting out, but getting in is really the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes that was probably the lowest point in the Cold War. Bizarrely, I think politically things are much worse now in Russia- far far bleaker. Least back then the “President” was charged regularly enough. There was a Supreme Soviet that the government had to sort of answer to. Putin and his cronies are self appointed for life. It’s North Korea with a western face. That’s the scary thing, I can see way out of it. This dictatorship that formed in the late 90s is embedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

And how many dead Ukrainian kids do ya think it would take to fix the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

The problem with nato expansion is not whether it is right or wrong. The problem is that it gives Putin a reason to invade. In Putin's head it is wrong and now he is in Ukraine.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement