Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Note the Eastern European countries fears of a revanchist USSR or Russia.

Look, if it's not in a treaty (or even a memorandum), in terms of international relations and commitments, it doesn't mean sh*t. Russia knows this. And they have been welching on critical items nuclear arms control treaties all over the place. So if they don't hold to treaties, why the hell should Nato hold to an oral commitment to a country that no longer exists. It's crazytown.

The USSR subsequently fell off the map and Europe was dealing with a whole new calculus. Russia after the USSR immediately got to work undermining the sovereignty of Georgia and Moldova.

You think Nato didn't pick up on this? Why should central and eastern Europe put up with a security arrangement where they're prone to a giant irredentist neighbour who have no intention of keeping their own word?

The period of 1991- 1997 was a lesson for both Nato and Eastern Europe that Russia was up to their old tricks. F*ck em and their whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yes, the podcast also pointed out that the Soviets had a triple lock around nuclear launches requiring military, KGB and party leader to agree but maybe Putin can just order it more directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I read the article, thanks. I can't find anything to corroborate the existence of this declassified document mentioned, but even to leave aside any doubt for the sake of argument, it remains that there is no evidence that anything was ever signed into law to this end. And the verbal promise which was claimed to have been made was made to a country that no longer exists by representatives of administrations that aren't in power anymore.

Josh Sinfrinson's claim in that tweet linked attracts considerable doubt in the replies to it as well, and even he does not provide any actual link to, or excerpt from, this declassified document which would still only outline an alleged verbal agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I think only a spectacular loss in Ukraine now or a grinding bloody failure over years could end their dictatorship now. Newsnight were saying that most Russians are apathetic so even if they knew all the details of the conflict now they just wouldn't bother protesting. It was very bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

Whoopsie, bit of a blunder there komrad. If you really lived here, you'd know that nobody calls ár teanga náisiúnta, 'Gaelic'.

You should request a new assignment from your superior.

And please stop killing people in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is 1985 your year of birth. If so, were your grandparents not a bit young to be fighting in WWII

Not relevant to the thread. But one of my favourite random interesting facts. The 10th President of the USA was born in 1790.

His grandson is still alive (or at least was the last time I checked). His brother died back about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Wouldn't really agree with that either...(war between NATO/Russia on their own territory) even were such possible in a nuclear bomb-less world.

I think what's happening here is serious enough to justify such measures but agree to disagree I suppose as it is second time I replied to you on it.

As I said before it is coming down to viewpoint on what access to a Western country provided by a visa is. A "right" of sorts attaching to a person that should not be taken away because that would be wrong unless they themselves did something to deserve punishment/have it denied them, or a "privilege" or gift given out by the state to some citizens of another which can be removed or denied for other reasons (in this case to punish that state and/or for our own protection from that state)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You know that scene in inglorious basterds with the finger counting. same story for putinbots and their use of “Gaelic”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Am I right in saying that NATO's fear of getting involved is the expenentiol escalation of the war, and it potentially going nuclear?

Right, so if Russia invaded Estonia say, which triggers NATO's involvement, how is it any different? Sh!t's going down either way.

So the west is just going to sit back and let Ukraine get annihilated because Putin plays the nuclear card?

Call a spade a spade. It boils down to the west accepting that Ukraine is going to get fooked for the sake of appeasing this headbanger again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No, when it gets left to a smaller amount of people then sabotage can occur.

I reckon at least 3-4 people have the codes at high levels then the codes would be under lock and key at a submarine, missile silo. Then ultimately, somebody in the silo/sub will have to make the decision, whilst surrounded by people.

• Advertisement

and my grandfather was born in the 19th Century. An outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just seen the footage from around the TV tower struck in Kiev earlier. Obviously too graphic to post but really horrible.

5 civilians were killed because the fckers missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

They'll never be forgiven. Just ask the people of Dresden today 80 years after their innocent civilians were mass murdered in a firebombing by the Brits and Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But we’ve heard Putin is willing to let 50,000 soldiers die at least in the first phase.

Why do you think losses of 5,500 if true will effect an army after 1 Week???

The fact you think the Russian army who are just as patriotic as the Ukrainians and have listened to Putin for 20 years will suddenly loose morale all of a sudden, well I don’t know what to tell you.

They have been planning and preparing for this for years.

Unfortunately it’s going to end one way unless boots on the ground intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

EU parliament votes for tougher response against Russia

637 voted "for"

13 voted "against" (including Mick Wallace and Clare Daly)

26 abstained.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/security/20220228STO24214/ukraine-parliament-calls-for-tougher-sanctions-against-russia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Another thing the West needs to remember is that there appears to be a lot of young conscripted kids in the Russian army. Inexperienced and not very well trained.

They're not going to be inexperienced after using Ukraine as a training ground for a few weeks. If they're gonna go on to try to roll into somewhere else then the next country might be dealing with a much worse situation.

Which makes it even more important that it ends in Ukraine and as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks like a crackdown taking place in Moscow. Independent TV Rain and radio Echo of Moscow taken off the air.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The probem with the entirety of that is presuming Russia has a right to dictate to other countries, what they can and can't do. Putin and his appologists are a laugh. The narrative is that the west should have listened to and believed Putin's threats: someone who didn't have anything to do with the poisoning of Litvinenko, didn't have anything to do with the poisoning of the Skripals, a policeman and the murder of Dawn Sturgess, didn't use a nerve agent called Novichok to commit those crimes, and who absolutely was not going to invade Ukraine, several times. Russia guaranteed the security and soverignty of Ukraine if they gave up their nuclear weapons, which they did

Putin is a serial liar and his word means nothing, and yet it's our fault for not believing him? Explain how that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What an embarrassment those two specimens are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

We've bent over for Putin time and time again.

Litvenenko

Salisbury

Crimea

MH317

Not once was he taken to task and he escalates each time. Just like they stood back and watched Hitler in the 30s hoping it wouldn't affect the west. 6 million Jews and millions of Europeans of all faiths, races and nationalities wiped out because we delayed in facing down a headcase.

And once again we're back here except this time we get to watch it live on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Are you trying to suggest that he would be better off trusting Putin???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You think 5,500 KIA is an acceptable quantam of loss *in the first week*? Come down from the clouds will you?

Patriotism doesn't get you far when you're hundreds or thousands of kilometers from home, thinking you were on a training exercise, and all of a sudden you see the body bags by the dozen coming from the opposite direction.

I don't know what your angle is, but if the figure is near the bullseye, there is no way the Russian troops are merrily whistling It's a Long Way to Tipperary right now.

There are some amazing ride-along documentaries about Soviet/Russian troops in Afghanistan and Chechnya on YouTube. I'd advise you watch them. If you don't think Russian young men break in war because of some mad notion you have of irrepressible Russian patriotism, you're as tapped in the head as Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

if the Russians attack Ireland at least we have Clare Daly and Mick Wallace to use as interlocutors

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

They would bomb the inniscarra dam in cork and flood the city.

A horrendous war crime, and I don't think the UK or US has ever acknowledged that.

Visa and Mastercard blocked in Russia by the companies themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's about sticking to the 'rules of engagement' and not giving him an excuse to (further) up the ante.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

I understand it's difficult and dangerous for Russians to stand up to Putin. But he's their cúnt, not Ukraine's. So it's up to them to fix the mess they've created. Why should Ukrainian kids be killed because Russians haven't yet stood up to Putin in sufficient numbers?

Infantry are cheaper than aircraft when there is no mass demonstrations at home and the infantry are not the sons of people who "matter".

The compensation to the familes of dead soldiers was reported on BBC as being only 15000 dollars.

It is noted that the army are making poor progress on account of little air support. He is saving his planes. I suspect Putin wants to be in a position where he pushes onward to Moldova, put troops in Belarus and establish a land bridge to Kalingrad if the circumstances allow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

In hindsight, given where we are now, is there anything to be read into Russia's exercises off the Irish coast?

Or was it just a genuine jolly down the wild Atlantic Way for some war games?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement