Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It means they cannot even schedule the flight as they know it is already banned. It effectively knocks out huge tracts of the northern hemisphere and makes it impossible for Russian planes to fly anywhere within it.

Saw a comment here earlier speculating an attack on Kyiv might happen during Biden's State of the Union adress. I think that's quite possible. A couple of key moments in this conflict so far coincided with the start of a UN meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Read the book and it's certainly an eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Take it with a pinch of salt. Chechen elite squad apparently have “eliminated” zellensky… according to FOX screen runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

For 20 years or so by now, Russian people have been trying to get rid of Putin....so far, he has defeated them all, and there's plenty of cases of sudden deaths, mysterious vanishings and long term prison sentences for those who have crossed him. It would have been done a long time ago, if the Russians themselves could have done it. Now maybe ( but its not a given) that the circumstances have radically changed, his career might be nearing its end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Swiss company behind the Nordstream 2 pipeline went bankrupt. Can't say I am displeased.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

They have the story arseways, the Chechen unit apparently sent to snuff Zelensky have reportedly all been taken out.

Reportedly, allegedly, apparently!

God help the craythurs in America that use Fox as their primary source of news.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Biden's State of the Union speech coming up at 2am (gmt). This will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

They seem to be targeting the infrastructure now - TV tower in Kiev, power plants, mobile phone link towers. And government buildings in Kharkiv. Going to be harder for defenders if there is no power or water, and if command structures are disrupted. If they can surround Kyiv (and keep Kharkiv surrounded), while advancing in other places, then the Russians might have an advantage. You'd think the Russians don't want street to street fighting in the bigger cities.

But Ukraine is getting more weapons delivered, and they did start mobilising after the attack, which means new units are being formed all the time - if they can get them into play before there's any kind of collapse, then it's going to be bad for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In wars like this you have the initial shock, followed by the outrage, and then comes the acceptance, and the normalization. Putin will take Ukraine, as no one is going to stop him, only a matter of time.

Could it have been different, had it worked the way Putin thought it would work, they go in, over throw the Government, and put Putin puppets in charge. Is that the best outcome now, to surrender and allow it. I don't believe Putin was going after the people to kill them, it was all about taking control of the Government. Belarus is a former part of Russia, not at if he is going to invade Belarus, he seems happy just to have pro Putin puppets in charge as his neighbours.

If no one is going to step up, then you have to call it, you have surrender, why have a drawn out loss that ends up with thousands of innocent people dead.

Of course I want Putin DEAD, AND the Ukrainians to defeat them, but without help it's impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't think there's anything that would absolutely *compel* NATO allies to move in the scenario that you describe.

However, if NATO allied don't respond, it's a green light to Russia and China that they can go in and take any bit of vulnerable territory they wish with no risk of direct confrontation. The USA, especially, would find itself toppling down the world pecking order with one decision

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Time to turn on CNN

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Okay it's late, I don't often post, but...

Well the defiance of the Ukraine people I think has shrunk all our balls a bit, I don't know if I would be so brave.

A part of me though now is like ok, F%ck Putin, call his bluff, spin the dice. Send in the F18's and bomb that convoy into particles.

Keep the football nearby, despots don't want to die either. I guess more measured heads than me are needed.

But if that F%cker gets away with this again we are all in trouble.

I know the quote, all that's needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing (Putin doesn't care about sanctions), it seems so apt in this case.

In the evenings when I'm staring into the fire, this breaks my heart.

Can you imagine the bravery it takes for a civilian ( a plumber, shop keeper etc ) to walk up to a Russian tank, the last thing you will see is the muzzle flash.

How does this end? I dunno.

Biden has done a great job at coordinating the worldwide response to this invasion and US intelligence predicted it when many thought it unlikely. There's nothing sleepy about Joe Biden.

Russian press is still talking even tonight about dismantling Ukraine or alternatively turning it into a puppet regime under Putin's control. These guys are beyond deluded - it's as if they are drinking the same kool aid as that crank in the Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In that scenario even if America stayed out I believe the major European powers would have to intervene. Could they defeat Russia on their own in a battle of 'conventional' weapons? Going by what we've seen so far in Ukraine I'd say a tentative yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Thankfully, I dont think Russia have the capability to launch an all out war beyond Ukraine. I may have even over estimated their military myself. Although they were not using all their forces and the full power of their artillery and airforce yet, they seem devoid of morale already, disorganised, terrible logistics and poor strategy. Add on top of this their already tinpot economy is in ruins and will only get worse. No huge fanatical support domestically for this war or others either. Theyre in no position for a large protracted war never mind against nato.

Unfortunately vlad has nukes, which he is unlikely to use and he also will cause damage and many deaths in this invasion of ukraine before its over either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He has led from the start, American intelligence was right from the start.

For a change.

16 children killed today, according to Zelenskyy. The sooner the intervention the more lives saved.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Well he pays their wages in fairness - could not expect anything but propaganda - beyond a joke watching them waffle off the garbage of faux accusations of war crimes and nazis. The Journalists that remain with RT after this conflict is over (regardless of how it ends) should never be employed in journalism again

How does it end? IMHO there is still a chance of a de-escalation - the trouble is the more time passes the more it becomes impossible for Putin to pull back from the brink - politically he has tied his faith to this war. Either Kiev Falls, or he falls. Or, preferably, someone does the honorable thing. Walks him to the Lubyanka - and ends this. Its horrifying that this is where we are.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

One thing is certain - the crippling sanctions and boycott of all things Russian will not be lifted until Russian troops withdraw from Ukraine (and that probably includes Crimea). We're into a whole new ball game now.

• What does a nuclear strike mean for Ireland, how far reaching would a strike on the middle of Europe be. I don't think the UFO's would allow a nuke to be fire. They'd disarm it, have done before at Malmstrom Air Force

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why would they have the instructions in English on the screen?

The second one is true though as I think I saw it on reuters earlier today.

1k is my daily limit and am currently in Australia

Here is the link to help, use Google translate, screenshot of translated Web pages below. Also accepts Google pay (but I don't use that)

There is no Russian 'press' they are the Kremlin. There are sources withn Russia that claim Putin has been party to the deaths of up to 200 journalists.

Ukraine v Russia tennis match about to start, crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think you are correct.

These last two weeks have changed Europe and I think the mood music for the rest of the world for the next couple of decades.

It's a very very sad time. We grew up under an incredible era of extended peace and stability in Europe, and we're on the verge of going back to the dark default setting of Europe which was national blood fueds and armies on the march.

As it all unfolds it will become ever more clearer that one man is to blame for this miserable and dangerous set of circumstances.

He regards multilateralism as weakness, democracy as an illusion, the media as a cudgel and a weapon.

The people in the west who enabled him and gave him a free pass may have been idiots - but past this point, if anyone offers him intellectual or moral shelter from here on in, they're traitors to the cause of peace and the rule of law.

• Advertisement

Tennis federation is afraid to throw out all the Russians, considering they are No1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement