Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to wire up shed for electricity?

Options
  • 04-10-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Hello sparks,

Just looking for an idea of price for wiring up a shed properly.

Want to install new RCD and bring power approx 15 metres down side of the house and down the garden to the shed, which is concrete. Also wire up four sockets in shed and a fluorescent light with switch. I am assuming the wire will have to be buried underground or can it be housed in trunking and attached to wall above ground?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

You could use SWA cable which is armoured and can be clipped on a wall. You'll need to install a small one row consumer unit in the shed with a rcd and mcbs for the sockets and lights. You'll need a switch fuse or mcb in the main consumer unit protecting the SWA cable to the shed with the correct discrimination between upstream and downstream mcbs.

I reckon about 250 to 300 would cover it for materials and labour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Got quoted just over €720!:eek:

Glen are you an electrician by any chance? If so - want to be friends?:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Arciphel wrote: »
    Got quoted just over €720!:eek:

That is not necessarily a bad price for a professional job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Arciphel wrote: »
    Got quoted just over 720!:eek:
    Perfectly reasonable in my opinion. I don't believe 250-300 is remotely realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

200e easy for materials alone.

3 switches, 4 sockets, 15 metres of cable, a light fitting and tube plus extras.
    Probably a half a days work getting everything installed and squared away.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    200e easy for materials alone.

Probably a half a days work getting everything installed and squared away.
    If the cable is to be buried then it could take quite a while longer than that, and also if it is awkward to access the supply inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I got quoted 1500 for a very similar job without the trip down the garden, didn't go ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Could you buy the material and wire up the shed yourself?

Possibly only get a sparks in to hook up to the main CU and throw an eye over your work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Possibly only get a sparks in to hook up to the main CU and throw an eye over your work?

If you are a pro but not REC and you personally know them - maybe - otherwise no.

Not legally. You need a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Not legally. You need a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

Never knew this, so if I want to run a electric wire to my shed for a light or socket it's illegal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

stevek93 wrote: »
    Never knew this, so if I want to run a electric wire to my shed for a light or socket it's illegal?

It is now illegal for anyone other than a REC to do most domestic electrical work. Have a look at the links in the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Paid 800 in Galway for it,few more sockets though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

I reckon about 250 to 300 would cover it for materials and labour

Materials alone will run near this. I'm a sparks but for that price will you wire my shed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Materials are approx 150 and I am estimating about 4 hours to do the work so 250 to 300 is probably a little short.

Of course you would have to see how difficult it is for the cable run from the board to the shed and how difficult the install is in general but 800 quid (650 quid for labour) seems very high to me.

Materials are approx 150

Even with low quality materials this would be a great price.
    800 quid (650 quid for labour) seems very high to me.

This is where you are getting confused.
    The remaining €650 is not just for labour.
    This has to cover:
    1) VAT
    2) All overheads (including van, tools, insurance, certs, registration, accountant etc...)
    3) Wages (inc. holiday pay & pension).

That takes care of a fair chunk of the €650!

Remember a good electrician can earn a reasonable wage working for an electrical contractor. Therefore electrical contractor generally aim to make a bit more due to the additional effort required and the finincial risks they are exposed to.

There is a general misconception that everything after the cost of materials has been accounted for is simply profit. The reality is quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Great post 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Hunt down many of the unemployed sparkies and get it done for circa 500!

Hunt down many of the unemployed sparkies and get it done for circa 500!

What planet are you living on?
    A quality unemployed sparks is as rare as rocking horse sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Any sparks that is still unemployed either has no interest in working or is pretty poor as any half decent one has been snapped up in the last 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All true, I'd say OP that you have your answer, the charter is strict on costs having to include Vat etc so that's roughly where the costs are I agree with your initial quote too, I don't think there's any need to discuss costs further since it will inevitably end up in under the counter costs discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nchamoh

I am looking to do a similar job in leixlip, just wandering what could be the price at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Think of a number and multiply by 2 probably.

Must be difficult to get a REC for these jobs right now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is there anything to stop you buying the materials and running the wire yourself, then getting a REC to connect it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

No,

In reality there is noting to stop you doing the whole job yourself.

Ya,he could probably bury the supply cable under instruction from the REC

That's about it really , anything beyond that is usually problematic and has to be redone

So I can run the cable and get a REC to do the connections right? Just for the certification

But again a certificate is needed so a REC is required

Engage the REC first and follow his instructions if he OKs it

Anything else is asking for trouble

• Advertisement

Advertisement