Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

He got overthrown by the people.

Which is exactly my point. They did it before, they can do it again. I'd prefer if they remained alive and had the ability to overthrow them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I think you're being deliberately obtuse at this point. If the Ukrainians surrender, they won't have a "pro-Russian" government , they'll have a Russian government based in Moscow.

Russia will carve off parts of Ukraine into Russia and let the rest become a puppet state with thousands of Russian "peacekeepers" in place, permanently stationed in Russian bases. Ukrainian society will be "cleansed" of its leaders and activists like the 22'000 Polish officers, politicians, doctors etc. that the Soviets slaughtered in the Katyn massacre to ensure no resistance after they invaded Poland in 1939.

They'll have no freedom of pretest, no freedom to dissent, no fair and transparent elections to change how their country is run. Look at Russia now; any politician seen as a legitimate threat to Putin is simply labelled a "foreign agent" and barred from running, resulting in huge victories for Putin and his fake opposition in every election. Any dissenting news is first labelled "foreign propaganda" and then shut down if that isn't enough.

Unlike you, the Ukrainians aren't stupid and have chosen to die on their feet rather than submit and doom their children to such a horrific fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He has used the threat of nuclear war 3 times. By the third time he would have launched a nuke if he was serious. I am starting to think now that he is allegedly holed up in his Ural bunker, that he will be dead within 2 weeks. His armed forces are failing either deliberately or accidentally, and because of incompetence and corruption. He has replaced advisors and ministers a lot over the last 10 years, and has fallen for his own state propaganda, thus expecting the Ukrainians to welcome him with open arms. Now his own people are protesting on the street in greater numbers. I His death will be either by his own hand or someone that can get close enough to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And have Russian tanks roll back into the Ukraine again when that happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah that's not even remotely surprising, Moldova is an easy target and relies 100% on Russian gas. Last year as the energy crisis started kicking off the Russians increased the price significantly and reduced the amount being delivered, so much so that Moldova declared a state of emergency and this came very shortly after they elected their first pro-EU leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Considering your smug post on being alive compared to the Ukrainians, I'd be happy to pay for your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would imagine they have a few already, they've a proud history of sniping Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's the other way around. Ukraine wants in and has for years. Should we be telling them to just píss off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Indeed ties in with his picture board from yesterday, are they really that stupid to make such a slip though, or is it more mind games? And if so for what reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

For comparison, attitudes like this came from people who took the Black and Tans in and gave them a bed and food knowing full well they were burning and killing by day. Just to save themselves.

We are only a small minuscule part in time. Some thing's are worth fighting for the greater good. Thankfully the Ukrainians are ballsy enough to realise this. The battle they fight is in reality standing up for the rest of the civilised world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Countries 'poke' at each other on the daily. The UK and France had a bunfight over fisheries a few months ago. They didn't start looking in the drawer for the nuclear codes.

You're incredibly blithe about a country bringing Europe back to the future with national blood fueds mediated by artillery and land war like the 19th century.

All of this is greeted with a shrug and a callow "well that's life" without consideration of what this will do to the entirety of Europe.

The answer according to you: "Ukraine should just lie down and be extinguished".

What about the next country? And the country after that? Will they all be greeted by a shrug of the shoulders for you or will the penny eventually drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A Soviet army is marching through a Finnish forest when a general hears a voice from over a hill shout: "one Finnish soldier is better than 10 Soviet soldiers!"

The general promptly send 10 soldiers to root out the voice, there is gunfire, and then silence.

After a few minutes, the voice shouts defiantly: "One Finnish soldier is better than a hundred Soviet soldiers!!"

The general sends a hundred men to remove the nuisance, there is a racket of gunfire, and then quiet.

The voice crys out loudly once more: "One Finnish soldier is better than a thousand Soviet soldiers!!"

Enraged, the general sends a thousand men charging over the hilltop to shut up that voice once and for all, an epic battle rages, and then quiet. After a few minutes, a gravely wounded Soviet crawls back over the hill and crys:

"It's a trap! There are two Finnish soldiers!!"

Ukraine is far too big a country to withstand that.

Why weren't the Pro EU leaders taken care of pre/post 2014 then?

As for your last line, them dying doesn't guarantee Ukraine independence? If Ireland was being invaded, I'd rather leave and start a new life somewhere else with my family than be dead, have my family leave the country anyways and be taken over anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You do know that the Soviets had huge losses in that battle?

The numbers involved on the Soviet side were collosal and the defenders had some very tough battle hardened devout nazis.

Putin can't afford to get bogged down in a city street fighting and start sustaining massive casualties.

Sadly it is the only way the Ukrainians can really hurt him.

There is no way they can really fight Russian forces out in the open and hope to win anything.

Quite easy to boycott Russian and Belorussian shyte.

Drink Finlandia or Absolut rather than Smirnov or indeed Diageo's Smirnoff. Feck Diageo they are as bad as the Russians.

About the only thing the Russians have that some people in some parts of the world need is gas, oil and wheat.

They are fecking disgrace.

Anyone know how the Quinn's one is doing ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The second round of talks between delegations from Russia and Ukraine is set to take place today, with delegations expected to comprise the same representatives present at the first round of talks on Monday.

I wouldn't get too excited about these talks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭jmreire

On more than one occasion in the past. I've been stuck on the side of the road in traffic, unable to move because a sniper was active up ahead, and the time it took to confirm he had left or was killed. I remember one particular episode where a sniper was posted in an unfinished high rise building in Kandahar, and they sent 2 Blackhawks up to get rid of him. Which they did as far as I know, but did a fair bit of demolition as well. and and of course, everything was at a standstill while this was going on. Pound for pound, snipers punch way above their weight in a fight.

EU/NATO membership is secondary to Putin, it's the gas/natural resources he's after. It's an oligarchy, they don't really give a **** about the every day Russian, Ukranian or anyone else they send into the meat grinder. All they care about is making themselves richer. Regardless of EU membership talk, he'd still be invading Ukraine to take control of it's gas reserves unless they were able successfully install a puppet government to which the Oligarchs can just pillage the resources from the people of Ukraine.

At the end of the day, as always, it comes down to money. Ukraine asserting it's own independence means they make less money. It just so happens in this instance that they started to look west, I don't think it really matters. They could have started trade deals with Turkey and the same thing would have happened.

He's really, really thick. No doubt about it, Putin made sure the stupidest man in Belarus was in "power", I'd bet he has little to no say in how Belarus is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Preparing the economy is pointless if your army which you intend to use isnt equally prepared, your argument makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Learn from the mistakes of this last few years, join Nato and don't talk about joining it and have troops at the border for protection.

I want you to give me a scenario in which dying now is beneficial.

Because on one hand ye are saying Russia can't stop Ukrainians from having their independence....and on the other hand, ye'r saying that once they surrender then the Pro Russian government will not be toppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This invasion is Russia's effort to remove the pro-EU leaders.

And yes you've made it clear that you'd rather live than stand up for what's right, but thankfully millions around the world throughout history have done the opposite, and we can thank those people for our prosperity and freedom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

He wants his promotion.

Watch the whole thing, its only 80 seconds. This interview happened on the 4th of February this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From BBC

Russia wants to declare former Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych - ousted during anti-government protests in 2013-14 - as the new leader of Ukraine, the Ukrayinska Pravda news and analysis website has reported, quoting Ukrainian intelligence.

Yanukovych is now in Minsk, according to the Ukrainian website's source. He fled to Russia in 2014.

The Kremlin may be preparing a media operation or campaign to bring Yanukovych back to Ukraine, or publish an address from him to the Ukrainian people, the newspaper said.

The Foreign Office named former Ukrainian MP Yevhen Murayev as a potential Kremlin candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You do realize if they put a new russian puppet in place there will be no elections the Ukrainian military and police will be disbanded and Russian peacekeepers will be permanently based in Ukraine to protect Ukrainians from nato aggression,

Surrender is not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ultimate irony if they shot down any Russian military aircraft with these

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

As diversionary tactics go, it would be a pretty sh*t one for the 21st century. It would not at all surprise me if Ukrainian commanders were pretty much getting an update every time NATO's eyes in the skies detected a significant movement of Russia's armour, trans, or air force.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If Ireland was invaded by a fascist government in a war of national extinction bent on conquest and you merrily packed your bags and left, content there's a safe haven somewhere, it wouldn't be long before that fascism caught up with you in your new home.

And presumably you'd want your new home to be defended by men with spines no? Or would you be chipper to live life like a gypsy being chased around by fascism?

Ultimately, democracies and liberties are backstopped by men with guts and guns in their hands willing to defend it if it came to the worst, particularly when fascism comes knocking. You went to bed last night ignorant of that.

What do you mean?

Surrender and dying fighting ultimately lead to the same result in the short term. But at least you are alive.

I want you to explain to me what the difference in the end result is between surrendering and dying now? They're not going to win the war with guns. The Russians will just bomb them into oblivion until they win.

You can fight for independence every day of your life...you can only die once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I keep saying this on various threads, but the West is now full of fooking Quislings.

There is an intense hatred out there from some of ones own people or way of life.

Hell it is evident in our public representatives that actually voted against a motion in the EU parliament.

We have the gimps in the Dail who would rather do nothing than admit NATO and the US are the only things keeping a would be Stalin in check from invading the rest of Eastern Europe.

We have gotten very soft and for once the candle lit vigils, lighting buildings and famous infrastructure in coloured lights aint going to cut it.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement