Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Agree Dan O' Donohue should start. Dylan Casey struggled s bit, played well but collected a yellow card so was substituted at HT. Still a good back up.

Kerry were excellent in the first half against the wind. Second half was going to be a stroll after that and it turned out to be.

I like to see White and Breen back for the last few league games.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Any word on a return date for either White or Breen?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

White is a few weeks away while Breen is a bit longer again according to Jack comments from last week. There’s a chance Joe O’Connor and Okunbor will be available for the Mayo game as far as I know and Moran maybe the game the game after. Joe O’Connor is someone who I think can contribute come championship as we aren’t too deep in the midfield area so I’d like to see him given as much game time as possible when he’s available.

I wasn’t at today’s game but in the Dublin and Donegal matches I’d strongly disagree that Jack Barry was “superb”. I thought he was poor in both. On the highlights he did look to be playing better so hopefully it’s a turning point for him.

I missed the Donegal match myself.

Thought he did well against Dublin, didnt do anything wrong at least and he was literally just back from club duty after a tough loss.

He was excellent today and clearly has a great relationship with Diarmuid. I'd be very slow to drop him come championship tbh and think they're the 1st choice midfield pairing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Rathmore have a team in Div 3 of the hurling league this year. Good to see and hopefully will be there for a while to come.

Great to see and they've gone about it the right way. Advertising it as social hurling to get lads involved and now have a team. A few of them would have played for St. Pat's I think so they should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Very good news. St. Pats having underage teams now as well has Mid/East Kerry wel covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Big win for the Hurlers against Meath. Gives them a decent shot at making the League Final.

They play Down Saturday week in Ballycran. Down (by my reckoning) have already qualified, as even a loss and a Westmeath win would have them level on points with Westmeath. After today's win, Down would go through on Head to Head.

A Kerry win or Draw would send Kerry through to the final against Down but a loss (combined with a Westmeath win against Kildare) would see Kerry miss out on the final on Head to Head with Westmeath.

Edit: Turns out they have changed the format this year. 1st place goes straight through to the final. Then there is a Semi Final between 2nd and 3rd to see who joins them. Kerry guaranteed of a playoff spot at least.

Post edited by DDC1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Tickets on sale online again if anyone needs them: https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/kerrymayo1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Not strictly GAA related but anyway, coming down for the match Saturday night, staying in earl of Desmond hotel, which i now realise is well outside town so will need to get a taxi out sometime. Im presuming town will be packed so will i have much bother getting one do ye think? First time in Tralee so we want to enjoy the crack afterwards but dont wnat to get stranded either

No issues whatsoever. Taxi rank at the corner of Denny Street and The Mall and a handful of decent pubs around that area too. Less than a 10min walk back into town after the game too.

Enjoy.

Seanie out tomorrow and for a couple of weeks it seems with a toe injury. Advantage Mayo tomorrow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Will have my elderly uncle with me tomorrow night so will need a seat in the stand, what time should i be in there ye reckon to make sure i get into the stand? Might mean missing the end of the rugby or does it?

I'd find out what time gates open, Kerry GAA usually post it on Twitter either tonight or tomorrow and get there at that time or even slightly earlier to join the Q that will be there.

For the sold out Dubs match, throw in was 7pm, gates opened at 5pm, Q was there at 4.30 and the stand was full by 5.30. They had that Tralee Elvis fella as entertainment.

I'd imagine they will open at 5.30 tomorrow but I'm not 100% certain. If they do, I'd expect stand to be full by 6 or just after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Hi. Any recommendation of a decent spot to watch the rugby tomorrow near the ground? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Weak team overall. Seanie is a massive loss. No Dan O Donoghue, no White/Murphy or Breen. Casey and Graham O Sullivan going to be under serious pressure.

Jack Savage going to be eaten alive by that Mayo half back line. Paul Geaney likewise. I think JOC is resigned to losing this one so giving a few guys a chance.

Ah come on, that’s way too negative. We are more than capable of winning tomorrow and are favourites to win even without Seanie I would say. Geaney won’t be “eaten alive” at all in the full forward line. Savage will be at 11 marking Coen who holds his position and doesn’t attack. It’s a great opportunity for Casey who we know has plenty ability. Graham O’Sullivan has been knocking around the panel for years, he needs to take his chance tomorrow playing in his best position. Great to see Joe O’Connor on the bench, hopefully he gets a good amount of game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't know or care anything about rugby but Mayo people should visit The Sports Field Bar in Bothar Bui tomorrow, just around the corner from Stacks Park.

A fine Mayo owned and run establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think Casey struggled in the Monoghan match against the lad he was marking. Not as good as Dan O'Donoghue as a CB. It will be interesting to see if any of these lads lay down a marker for to be.included in the championship team. TBF Jack is giving lads a chance to step up. Having said all that I think I could name 13 of the starting 15 for championship if they all were fit and injury free. O ly positions up for grabs are a wing back and corner forward position at this stage. Dara Moynihan might be under pressure from SOB if he get going before championship as well. However all the rest are daily plain to see.

Having said that Keane was in this position last year and decided to completely restructure the team and cost us Sam.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

That’s way too positive! Mayo have a far stronger team named this evening and win most of the match ups. Morley will take up Aidan O Shea so we lose our winning system and revert to man to man.

Geaney and Savage will spend the game tracking back but never getting a tackle in. Just watch.

Dylan Casey could be ok as the Mayo Full Forward line is probably their weakest line.

Hate to say it but Mayo by 6/7 points.

I think either way it’s going to be a max 2 or 3 point game. I wouldn’t see any reason to change what we’ve been doing with Morley because of Aidan O’Shea. It’s going to be an interesting one, hopefully the weather conditions aren’t too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭KerryM9

Have two spare tickets if anyone looking for tickets, will let the 2 go for 15 euro, PM me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Seanie being out is a massive loss - he's been probably out most consistent player over the 4 league games.

I'd have question marks over Savage. If I was picking the team I would have Paudie at 11 and Brosnan inside.

I'm a bit disappointed that Geaney is starting - from a squad depth point of view I would much rather Brosnan or failing that Killian Spillane starting.

Geaney is very much a known quantity at this stage and starting either of the other two against this Mayo side would help bring them on/give more of an insight as to where they are. For me Brosnan looks to be a better fit in terms of working with Clifford inside.

I hope Graham O'Sullivan pushes on - I had high hopes for him but it just doesn't seem to have happened for him in terms of nailing down a place.

I think he is yet another player who is better as a wing-back than corner-back but I'd imagine he has played the majority of time with Kerry in the corner.

Fingers crossed a start at wing back will give him a proper chance to impress.

Casey probably fortunate O'Donoghue picked up a knock as I'd imagine that there was no way O'Donoghue would have been dropped for him.

If he wants to be starting come the summer he will need to start impressing fairly quickly.

Pleased that Murphy is back in goal, I'd pick him over Ryan all day long.

Just looked at the forecast and it looks like the worst of the rain and wind will have passed over by throw-in but it will be wet, cold and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Late notice but I cant make the game due to getting stuck in work. 2 free tickets if anyone wants them. Send email or WhatsApp and I'll send them on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Kickouts an issue so far

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quidel7

Surprised didn’t go long with more kick outs give Mayo’s press and the wind.

• Advertisement

Delighted to be wrong with Kerry getting a close 1pt win. Starting Brosnan ahead of Geaney was the winning of the game as Boom Boom alluded to in his post. Jack Savage anonymous as predicted. But our DEFENCE was unbelievable. Graham O Sullivan was excellent, Dylan Casey did well, Foley played tough. Tom O Sullivan had a tough night but O Donoghue was on fire for Mayo. I think Dan O Donoghue will be a better match up for him if they meet again. In short we finally have a defensive system that works and can be confident it won’t break down come the championship.

Whille Boom Boom got the call on Brosnan spot on, his/your call on Shane Murphy is definitely wrong. Kicked numerous balls away, punched an easy catch away. Very poor performance from him from a kick out perspective. Shane Ryan is marginally better but I wouldn’t be raving about either of them at the moment. I think Jack could do worse then bring Fitzgibbon back in and give him a game or two.

Dara Moynihan had a great game also. Jack Barry covered more ground then any Kerry player I reckon. Serious engine for a big man.

Did anyone think that Mayo were throwing a lot of there close hand passes?

Advertisement