Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The OP literally said Irish MEN so what I would do or what I wouldn't do is totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So, northern Ireland, which is not actually a part of Ireland, not even according to our constitution.

do you support dissident republicans? RIRA, CIRA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

And he'd win!

Just put him on top of an APC in the Ukraine with a loudspeaker blasting the Russians with poetry. They would be out of there as fast as their legs could carry them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

2 weeks ago I'd have to imagine this was as far from a tech worker in Kyiv as it would be for an Irish person working in Indeed. OK not exactly but sort of. Its easy to stereotype and romanticise but the true horror and bravery is that these are just regular people who find themselves living out a Hollywood movie.

However on the flip side I do think we Irish have a passivity about us where we'd just start deliberating on whether our GDP would increase and if the invasion would result in more jobs for the country. It is just the type of country we are, probably to do with our geography and the fact we were essentially controlled in the most laissez faire way for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Interesting question. I probably wouldn't because it seems that the vast majority on our small island has somehow believed and bought into the current establishments narrative that our nation doesn't matter, our own culture doesn't matter, our own language doesn't matter, that our own people don't matter.

Pretty hilarious when you consider the fact that currently we here are supposed to wholeheartedly brainwashingly believe in the absolute nationhood of the Ukraine, when our own nation can be sold off to the likes of whatever bank/corporation/tech company that wants to have it. But if you complain about that absolute fact, you are labelled some sort of nationalist anti immigrant thug of some description.

So no, I won't fight for the current milieu that control the government. But if some stupid person wants to come try take over my own gaff while I am in it, I will gladly have a right go.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

This is exactly what I've been thinking. We have no higher goals beyond GDP. Culture and the idea of the nation is used to sell cheese and entice Americans to come here, it doesn't have any real deep roots. It's bizarre watching people defend and believe in something bigger than themselves through this individualistic lens which ironically is the lens Ukrainians are fighting for in a way to pick up.

But tbh in times of globalisation and stability and cultural homogenisation it is hard to feel a deep sense of belonging to one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Great video by an artist "Would you die for Ireland" I know it was in 2003 but interesting nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_6dmmxucRU

OP could you add a poll? Maybe not just Yes or No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I wouldn't be expected to fight for your 26 county republic nor would I want to. If I was forced to fight for the UK I would try to kill myself asap. There would be more honour in suicide than dying for Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Imagine the video, Micky D ripping off his shirt, thumping his chest and calling out Putin to fight . . after insulting his mother for half an hour.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sutrapall

If some nefarious entities had the intention of taking over this country, the sorry excuse of our leadership would be out like a hotsnot to invite them in, out with the red carpet, grovelling, champagne, "have a housing development or two, the shiterag citizens that we've eunichized will pony up income for the rest of your life, no questions asked, take citizenship, why don't you? Oh, a park or two? How about a powerplant? Taxes?! Don't you worry about that, we're all friends here *wink* :)"

Oh, wait a sec...

The morale of this country, outside of a minority, is dogshyt. Corporateville.

Personally, I'd thourougly enjoy kicking a few jaws through the tops of skulls, and I'd doubly relish the opportunity at some of the traitorous dirt masquerading about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The majority of photos of Ukrainian celebs taking up arms are fake and old photos, the boxer lad pictured with plumes of black smoke behind him, the boxer woman photoed with a pump action shotgun in her kitchen, do you know that she’d be cannon fodder if she went against the Russians with a shotgun? Then some model one with an air soft gun in a photo that was taken a couple of years back while doing her favourite hobby. Also the media are feeding you bullshit, the Ukrainians have been fighting one another since 2014.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Every day Irish men and women knowingly put themselves in harms way to support our way of life, it is a pity it takes a war for people to realize this. Over the next 24 hours, just like every other, members of the naval service operating beyond the horizon will conduct boarding parties on some the most they can expect is fishhooks and blocks being tossed on to the rib, but on others they may meet a smuggler who will attempt to take their lives, guards will be called to an incident where someone may fancy their chances, life boat crews will launch in all kinds of seas, firemen will run in the direction of burning buildings and as we know helicopter crews may be lost….. there are many people who we need to thank for their service.

Everyone is concerned with their safety, only a fool would draw arms, go through the various procedures and not consider the possibility that in the next few hours they will meet someone that will without hesitation take their live. But those people have the inner strength to push through and get on with the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would Ireland fight for me? No.

Would I fight for Ireland? No.

Nationality is a social construct.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fight with what…

we haven’t got enough firepower for our defence forces… or indeed enough military personnel…. So if I was to join up it’s into war with a baseball bat and a set of steak knifes….not likely to be of much use…

enabling our wellbeing is so unfashionable….so if successive governments can’t and won’t do it…and instead as they are trying to do now… spending hundreds of millions opening our borders to others…. I couldn’t bother my hole….quite frankly..

what they should be doing is getting on the blower and aiming to double down on ordering 25 or so jet fighters, more tanks… this all blows over, the older stuff is mothballed… a couple of billion in expenditure but if it has to be spent…

Ireland and the ability to defend itself is akin to a person going to sleep with the front door open, their wallets on the hall table beside the car keys and good jewellery… anybody can take our shît and wreck the fûcking place…

you don’t order jet fighters and resource your military for what is or was likely, you resource it for worst case scenario…..and hope they are not needed….

8 of these^^^

Vs….

100’s of this..

sorry but it’s a joke shop of a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is a bizarre argument.

You urge that we spend a couple of billion on 25 jet fighters, more tanks, etc because, right now, we cannot match the Russians. But you completely ignore the glaringly obvious fact that, after we had done all that, we still could not match the Russians. So far as defence against the Russians goes, this would be a couple of billion completely wasted.

If we should resource for the worst case scenario, and the worst case scenario is an attack by Russia, then then is definitely not how we should resource for that scenario.

Not so much a joke of a country, I think, as a joke of a proposal on your part.

• Advertisement

I’m not suggesting we match them, we couldn’t but what we could do is pose a deterrent to anyone potentially doing us harm.

Norway, a similar population to ourselves…

F35… a combat aircraft…..24 in active service , 18 on order…

So a joke of an opinion on your part… maybe you’d like to ring the Norwegian defence ministry and say… ‘ hey, you jokers are doing it wrong’

Apart from debt levels our economy is doing better yet they have a ‘slightly’ bigger population, I think by 25,000.

yet they are brave, diligent and smart enough to say…we’ll have the resources we need to deter…and put up a fight if needed…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Norway is a member of NATO, and has associated obligations to contribute to NATO defence. If you imagine their air force is intended to equip them to resist the Russians on their own, I have a bridge to sell you.

This made me laugh, especially "living life like a queen" as opposed to a king.

Imagine Michael D in a Marie Antoinette wig, corset, cooling himself down with a fan whilst sitting on a feinting couch. I have a sick imagination.....

I think in Ireland we are too divided against our neighbours to have a spirit of fighting in solidarity together. All our revolutions failed against the British because of apathy and informers.

I know I sound like a keyboard warrior but I would genuinely love to volunteer to defend the country if we were invaded. I know it's easy to say but my gut instinct overwhelmingly tells me I would jump at the chance. Thankfully I won't ever be put to the test on this, but I'm just giving my opinion.

And we have a responsibility and obligations for OUR defence…….

you can sell all the bridges you want but if the Russians get this far we won’t be resisting them alone but we should have the capacity to contribute to our defence and too operate some sort of deterrent….

Would Simon Coveney put us up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Would I fight for Ireland. Would I fcuk.

They sucked so much tax out of me over the years they can use it to pay some mercenaries to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Actually that is a good point as this weak midget really does represent Irish manhood today.

While many would find real or imagined reasons not to fight. Many would if they had weapons, enough to make it not worth the while of any invader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭BrianD3

We'll have to up our game dramatically now. Given that the defence forces, as per official reports, cannot defend the country, the government will surely be shamed into making changes. It was on the cards before Putin invaded Ukraine.

One big issue is that we'll now be trying to do "something" after decades of apathy and shambolic underinvestment. Will we panic and make a hames of it.

People will argue how we shouldn't increase spending on the military when we could be spending on the health service, housing, policing etc. Yet other countries manage to have a military and a functioning health service.

Are we capable of doing anything at all without making a bollix of it.

We are a half arsed, cute hoor, stroke pulling, immature, seat of the pants, kick the can down the road country. Leprauchan economics, heavily reliant on multinationals for our prosperity and utterly dependent on other countries for defence. If we had been bombed hard in WW 2 and been forced to rebuild, would we be in a better or worse position now.

Yes, we are reactionary instead of proactive…

it’s a trait of our people, you see it in politics, workplaces etc…

we need to react now the gun is to our head but the horse has bolted I’m afraid, hopefully this shît resolves itself far from our borders, we’ll see.

I’m off to sharpen the steak knifes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I've read some stupid posts in my day but that really is up there with the best of them.

It's not about nationality it's about our believes and way of life. If you truly don't think the freedoms and life style you enjoy is not worth fighting for them where are your principles? What would you be willing to take a stand for?

I can understand that some for reasons of pacificism or oher beliefs wouldn't fight but there seems to be a level of hate for this state from some on this thread. If I felt that strongly I'd leave. Why are there still living here?

Well, people have commitments here… plus a pandemic and this Russian thing but I know people who are using their time thinking and evaluating their options…

If I felt that bad I would be gone not thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Good question - who exactly am I fighting against and what exactly am I fighting against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Strange thing to say about someone you've never met and don't know.

• Advertisement

Lol no. Yet he is adamant to have others take in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Who? You are fighting against Russians not smart enough to get a better job than dodge conscription.

What you are fighting against? I have no idea.

What are you fighting for ? Profits for the Rotheschilds banking system.

If fighting for Ireland is the same thing as fighting for the Rotheschilds banking system, then the answer is definitely no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Only if it was the last option left. I would say no right up until the invading force were literally at our shores. Even then I would weigh up the pros and cons of throwing my life away to become some "hero" for future generations. Who's family and loved ones win when they died in vain for nothing. Let them take over and then await and partake in a war of attrition to de-establish their rule over a period of time like we so famously did with the British.

I would only fight if there was a possibility of winning vis a vis support incoming from elsewhere or an actual formidable military force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Myself, reggae and Dakota will take them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Been having the same thoughts recently and I think the answer is... it depends.... If I had some sort of reasonable assurance they wouldn't be going around exterminating us, like it was just a governmental coup but life would mostly go back to normal afterwards then I really dunno. Like if the English invaded again but afterwards we'd just be part of the empire like NI, Wales, Scotland and so on... then I'd very very likely sit it out.

I think if there was an actual threat to my way of life or ACTUAL life then yeah I'd be in the queue for a gun and hoping my years of Battlefield will see me through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Well hello Mary Lou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Flying columns. Ambushes. Assasination of G men and informers.

It was done before and it will be done again if need be.

The question is though, do we have men of the calibre of Tom Barry, Liam Lynch, Dan Breen and Sean South nowadays? I think we are gone far too soft nowadays.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I’d be first in the que if needed, providing the cause was just

Advertisement