Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We could , It's already been publicly suggested ,but take it this way if this goes nuclear we will be targeted either way ,we are part of the Nato partnership for peace and the EU battlegroups .

If asked we should send what we can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

My growing admiration for the Ukrainian people has me at the point of tears just thinking about their stoic defense of their homeland.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I'm lost for words. In a strange way I have more contempt for him than I have for Putin.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

All far-left and far-right. Always the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Your posts are full of contradictions though. You reckon Ukraine is too big for the Russians to hold, but also feel that it's inevitable that Ukraine will be crushed.

You reckon the Ukrainians shouldn't resist now while they're armed, in control of most of their country and capable of doing damage to the Russians. But you think they'll stand a better chance after they've let Russia occupy the whole country, disarm the Ukrainians, kill their political and social leaders and crush all free speech, dissent and democracy? How does that make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Really? Well if the main news reports are anything to go by - a bunch of countries including Canada and Sweden are going to get nuked having already agreed to send anti tank weapons to Ukraine.

Russia does not need an excuse to attack or invade any country. They'll do it because they gamble on no one stopping them. Time they were dealt with properly.

Is there a way Wallace and Daly can be recalled from the European parliament

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

They didn't win the long war they agreed to the partition of the country and accepted less than full independance. Not relevant to this topic I just wanted to make that correction.

They are extraordinary. From the defiant President all the way to the people who are standing in front of tanks, amazing stuff.

And yet we are hearing calls for surrender and neo Nazis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If Russia win they will have no or neutered ukranian army. They will have secret police. No dissent. Liberals western supporters disappeared or jailed. It took 50 years for Poland etc to break free of that. Those are the stakes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

I don't know. I hope there is. These two make me sick to think the are there represent Irish people.

You're beyond parody.

So, they leave a smaller "peacekeepers" behind and the Ukrainians find enough non Pussyhands to rise up... do you think anyone's ever going to say, 'isn't it amazing the Russians never sent in reinforcements.'

I hope you're loving the attention your idiotic comments are attracting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Unless we plan on charging them with a crime (treason perhaps? I jest, I jest) then nope... we're stuck with that shower till we can vote them out in 2024

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The guy earlier going on about "Zionists". I'm afraid to say that doesn't shock me one bit. I have found that a worrying number of Russians I've known down the years harbour antisemitic beliefs that would shock most of us in the West. Real 1930's German nazi party stuff with a Soviet twist. And they were only the ones who started talking politics after a few drinks. The "Jews" are but a part of the "World is agin' us" lineup in the cultural psyche which has a siege mentality born of the near century of communist rule and the precipitous fall after it.

There was a brief period in the 1990's where that wasn't nearly so present, but IMHO the West made a huge mistake and didn't take advantage of it. Who did were the oligarchs who raped the nation and her people of assets, leaving the way clear for Putin to come in, look like he was tackling them and taking their country back. Now of course he wasn't. He was merely removing the oligarchs he didn't like, bolstering the ones he did, consolidating the riches among a less obvious small number of pricks and putting a good face on it by letting more ordinary Russians thinks they were getting bigger scraps from the table than they were. And for the average Russian Putin's reign as czar was better. Well anything would be after the freefall of asset stripping in plain sight.

If you actually talk to Russians, that's how many of them feel. They all have issues with Putin to some degree or other, but they have a reverence for 'royalty' and leaders long gone in the West for the most part, that allows them to ignore that for the greater good and the 'good' they nearly have to believe he's done for them. That's going to be a very hard nut to crack. And that 'royalist' attitude has been built up over a thousand years of autocrats, most of whom were worshipped as near religious figures. Their church actually canonised five of them including the last one who was killed by the communists. Even when for most of those centuries the common man and woman were little more than slaves. That was suported by their church too. Serfdom was only really abolished in the late 19th century. With a background like that it's 100% understandable why communism was so attractive. Problem was the cultural psyche kept on liking and supporting czars after it, right down to today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

Its bad when you see flights from Russia are taking the same routes has ships

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I never said the pro-Russian Government could or would not be removed. I said that as soon as that is done, the Russian army rolls back in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd say that lad earlier wasn't even Russian, just some eejit who found the word on 'de Google' from Mammy's kitchen and decided to troll the thread tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

No, as bad as we think their decision was, that would undermine the democratic choice of MEPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And how is the result going to be different in 2/3 weeks times when Russian flattens them all anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

just to say genuine thanks to the genuine posters here daily. Ive been following since the start of this. I have been fairly green about history, wars etc, know the basics, and have learnt so much in this past week. Its scary, horrendous, madness, some of things we're reading and seeing, in 2022! but its also addictive tbh...And please, I dont mean that in anyway dismissing or ignorant but its unbelievable to be following a war in real time. my brain is on the verge of exploding with all the info Ive taken in the past week. Well done to every Ukrainian out there, there is a genuine massive admiration and respect for the unbelievable bravery and fight you are showing the world....

The container ships that are no longer going to Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not taking any side on Putin's plan but what happened in 2014 was the overthrow of the democratically elected leader of Ukraine in a western backed coup. Ukraine was militarily neutral.

And why was he overthrown? Because he decided to accept a more generous funding package from Russia for Ukraine instead of the EU's offer.

This is the reason why we are where we are today.

It was a massive blunder.

That's not to give cover or an excuse to what's happening today but there needs to be some honesty about 2014 in my opinion.

A non serviced plane will be a hell of a thing to get airbourne again if this current crisis ever ends- they’ll probably start pillaging from one plane to keep another one in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Pussyhands is an excellent A student, he learned so much over a few days afair going from just asking questions/I want to know and learn what is going on here, to an expert on everything, what Ukraine should do (surrender unconditionally), the EU (certainly "no angels" in this situation ,and are just trying to "piss off" Putin). Unfortunately for us all + Ukraine esp., doesn't seem to take much to piss the man off to extreme muderous levels, even just existing may do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Let him off. It will only be a matter of time before he's threadbanned. Hit the ignore button.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Worth remembering that a lot of what companies do is down to pure self-preservation. I recall when you had to order computers from Dell in Ireland at one point you had to answer questions confirming that your cheap Inspiron notebook wouldn't be used for research or manufacture of nuclear weapons in the Middle East. So terrified were Dell of pissing off the US government they thought it better to ask every customer worldwide these inane questions.

In this case, Boeing and Airbus are concerned that servicing state-owned Russian aircraft, providing them with parts and labour, might inadvertently be a breach of the economic sanctions, which can often come with gigantic prison penalties for company executives.

Of course, that's the whole point of the sanctions; to make it way too expensive for any company to do business with Russia. But don't be fooled into thinking that they're all doing it because they give a sh1t about Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

He can't "flatten them all, any more than American B-52 were able to ""flatten them all" in North Vietnam, any more than the massive U.S. presence was able to "flatten them all" in South Vietnam, despite having technical superiority and never actually losing a battle, any more than the Germans were able to "flatten them all" in Stalingrad despite massive bombing, shelling, and taking 90% of the city. Even if the Russian army wins the campaign, takes Kiev and installs a puppet government, it will have bled itself white in the process and lit the match on a bitter guerrilla war that could go on for decades.

Either you know bugger all about history, or you're just a troll, and not a very good one at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement