Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Mileage Rate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Probably not a question for the state Ben forum, I'd try the Taxation forum.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Hopefully abolish them completely and let the already well-paid public servants pay for their own mileage out of their salary

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Hopefully they’ll be increased as any tax free income is very welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same for all the well paid service engineers, well paid salespeople, well paid IT consultants presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

I don’t fall into any of those categories unfortunately. But thanks 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Such a nonsense post. Why would any worker have to pay out of their own pocket to do their job?

Because the mileage is in the course of their duties- this is what their salary is to cover.

They're already well paid, often overpaid, and the taxpayer is already overburdened so the least they could is cover this expense

No-those are private sector jobs and paid for by private sector companies and not funded by the taxpayer.

This post is about someone already generously paid out of the public purse back looking for even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

incorrect.

Mileage is for when you have to use your own car and fuel to travel somewhere for work purposes .. not your commute.

So why should anyone be expected to pay for that themselves.

if you don't want someone to get milage - are you suggesting then that anyone in the civil service who needs to travel for work (outside of the commute) is given a company car and fuel card instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think you understand what mileage is paid for.

Also, if you think that lower grade civil servants are "overpaid", how much less are you personally willing to work for? 25,339 entry for a CO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Civil service mileage rates are used by the private sector too. (The rates set the maximum amount that can be paid before the payment becomes taxable.)

Lots of lower-middle income workers are required to travel away from their normal location for work (no payment applies for regular commute) and the need to drive is not factored into pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Their salary is to cover them attending their workplace.

Not travelling to another location for a meeting

Those private sector jobs are ultimately funded by consumers though, one way or other. Consumers are paying for those services, directly or indirectly.

So what's good for the goose is good for the gander, let's wipe out all mileage rates for people on decent salaries, say €40k and above, and direct the savings into the price charged to consumers at the end of the day.

It is probably a drop in the ocean of the overall costs of any company or any Government, so the impact on overall costs will be negligible - a 1c saving on product cost or 1c reduction in tax paid. It will also make it impossible for businesses and government to do their basic business, but hey, once it makes you feel better about your lot, that's the important thing, right?

nonsense.

Private companies pay this rate - it is a cost of doing business so what you are saying is just rubbish.

So a homeware assistant on a salary of €40k per annum would have to pay to fuel and maintain their own car to visit patients all day long.

If you need to use your private car to travel for the purposes of work you are entitled to be compensated for the wear, tear and fuel at the nominal rate.

I've no problem covering the costs of doing business in the private sector as a consumer where there is accountability, workforce flexibility, potential for dismissal and redundancy et al.

Unlike the public sector where none of the above apply and these costs have to be met out of taxation whether the service is delivered or not

To those benefitting from the PS gravy train, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

I am in the private sector. I Travel as part of my work (not a commute) and am paid mileage but the standard rate is the civil service rate - hence my question .

• Advertisement

No flexibility? This is the organisation that turned on a sixpence two years ago to shift tens of thousands of staff to WFH, reassigned thousands to contact tracing roles in weeks, put on onee of the most effective vaccination campaigns in Europe? And you want more flexibility?

Where's the accountability for the dreadful customer service we all experience from Eir and Virgin and PTSB and more? And we pay their wages every day! Public servants are dismissed all the time btw,though good recruitment and management keeps this at a a fairly minimum level.

It's an utterly ridiculous idea, expecting engineers and architects to fund their own travel from one side of Kerry to the other, and Revenue and HSA and HIQA auditors to fund their own travel from one side of the country to another.

Have you really thought this through?

Are you in paid employment yourself? Am struggling to understand your logic here.

"Turned on a sixpence" to being at home on full pay whether doing all, some or no work.

"Contract Tracing" was a euphemism for being at home with a job that cannot be done from home doing no work but on full pay. The numbers in this situation were legion. The passport office, museum, library staff to name but a few.

Nobody in the public sector was made redundant or put on the PUP despite swathes of them being effectively unemployed.

Then there were those in the health service who refused to go to work and "expose" themselves to infection and were at home on full pay for over 18 months.

The good thing about poor customer service in the private sector is that the consumer can go elsewhere and eventually they have to improve their customer service or go bust. In the public sector there's no accountability and the staff are unsackable so if a complaint is made either nothing is done or the public servant gets promotion.

"Public Servants dismissed all the time"..Haha you should be in the propaganda industry.

"Good recruitment and management" ..union stranglehold you mean.

If the public sector was a business it would have gone bust decades ago due to its inefficiency alone.

And yes, I have thought this through but I'd prefer to be ignorant of how the public service works.

Yes, unfortunately seeing my taxes paying for a grossly inefficient and over bloated public service who are always looking for more

In your employment do you have to supply the desk & chair? Do you have to pay for your own hotel if you are working on a site far away from your home?

You're doing a great job at maintaining ignorance of how the public sector works for sure. You're also doing a great job making up vague allegations, with absolutely no backup detail.

The irony is that the PUP payment you mention wouldn't have existed if public sector staff hadn't created a new benefit, with new forms, new rules, new legislation, new systems and processed tens of thousands of applications within weeks of Covid landing.

And there's also the little matter of the health services that kept people alive and kept Covid at bay with one of the fastest vaccination roll outs in Europe. You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭xeresod

Sounds like the OP has had a visit from a DSP inspector and got caught out and now they reckon if there's no more T&S expenses there'll be no one to come and catch them defrauding the social welfare system!

No idea what what any of that means or what "T&S expenses" are but sounds like someone does and is claiming every last cent they're "entitled" to

I'd prefer not to know how the PS works but know all too well unfortunately.

Ah that old chestnut of "making up vague allegations, with absolutely no backup detail". The standard riposte from every defensive public servant while they know than anyone not employed in the public sector could not possibly be expected to produce documentary evidence". Is that line of defence in the union manual?

Re social protection payments admin, they were just doing their job unlike many others who effectively had over a year off on full pay.

Same goes health service employees-just doing the job they're paid to do, at best, and many were at a loose end making tiktok videos due to the pandemic that never happened and all elective surgery being cancelled. I had personal experience of people who were admitted to various hospitals for non-elective reasons and they or I had never seen any hospital as quiet with so many staff with little to do.

None of this suits the public "servant" narrative so is met with perpetual denial and defensiveness but don't worry, whether you're busy or not, competent or not, your job is safe.

• Advertisement

Rhetorical question but anyway-that's paid for by a private sector employer not the beleaguered taxpayer and depriving much-needed funds from actual service delivery instead of giving public servants money they don't need

Advertisement