Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Comically bad the last 2 tries to concede. At least make the opposition work for scores. Don't just hand it to them.

Shouldn't be able to pick up a knock on deep inside your own half and run the length of the field to score without a finger being laid on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great finish from Prendergast, but there was a clear knock on in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Try of the season contender there

Brilliant try. All the good and bad from Connacht on show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Any type of win here be an achievement now after the way the game has gone.

• Advertisement

Did really well to turn that result around. Didn't look good at HT. The 2 Stormers yellow cards definitely helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We've won this game against a big team.

That's a reference game, 4 pens conceeded and 5/100 missed tackles only

Aki, Hansen, Thornbury, Bealham, Heffernan additions included for Leinster, we are well able to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's a great result. They bullied us and even at 14 men spread us thin.

Thought Oliver and Big Papa were excellent off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Bench won that for us alright 👍

Their tries were too easy which is a bit of a worry.

Fitzgerald had a few good touches but overall I'm not sure how far we can expect to get with him as backup 10.

Got a touch lucky in so far as the wind was a bit lighter in the second half but overall a really good win.

I must say one minor gripe post match: fantastic win and plenty of youngsters behind the goals waiting for a selfie/high five from the players at fulltime. The only two that stuck around after the token half lap were Conor Oliver and John Porch. Fair play to both of them and always found them grounded in the brief convos I had with them.

We hear all this grassroots to greenshirts marketing waffle but small gestures like the above from Porch and Oliver go a long wish. I wish more of the players knew that.

• Advertisement

Stormers seem very salty over the reffing.....didn't see much aside from he really should have penalised them for time wasting and not rolling away more, thought we were fairly clean tbh.

Am I being one eyed? Really didn't see where they could feel so aggrieved. It seems to be the scrum (which I thought were fairly even, maybe slight advantage to them) and mauls, which they constantly made yards off and can think of only one where I thought they might have a reason to feel aggrieved with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The bench really brought big energy. Oliver looks on a different level. I've criticised him in the past but he is such a good player. Buckley seems to be struggling to get back into it but that's not surprising being out so long. Murray could probably do with a rest. Fifita has been great the last 2 games. Porch is a better 15 than TOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Oliver is on fire atm, huge impact. Himself and prendergast are vital. Fafita and tuimuague are turning into very decent signings. Get Thornbury and burke back soon and there could be squad deep enough to give Leinster a go two weeks in a row

I was unconvinced by Oliver size, will still bar him for international level, but gosh I can't remember a game he disappointed this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

No you are spot on. Twitter, YouTube, fb, everywhere! I couldn't get over the comments. Stormers were dicing with the offside line a lot. Being at the game the second yellow looked like a red but I haven't seen replays since. They were constantly wasting time. And had at least two forward passes not called.

Super win. Best win to be at the sportground for in a good while. Really couldn't see a positive result at various stages of the match. Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

South African rugby twitter playing the URC is fixed for the Irish sides card, they are worse then the welsh

The stormers should have two YC in first half for cynical play on their own line.

Not to mention two blatant bits of foul play last night by the Lions which were completely missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Have watched the full match back and I've no idea where the complaints are coming from. Second yellow was a borderline red but contact did just seem to be on the chest. SA teams in general, well their online fans, are ridiculously bad losers.

Not seen replay but was the first Stormers try not off a very blatantly crooked lineout throw too? They got away with a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I wouldn't right off Fitz. Rainbow cup game v Munster last year he looked immense in that win and when jack was off form he looked well able at urc level for good stretch.

This year I think has suffered with Jack being in the form he has been in and lacks minutes. Coupled with Daly being a more than able 10 (proved again today) he's not not an essential bench option like most teams need.

Personally I think he's bulked up a fair bit recently and has been very versatile coming off the bench this season. His passing and decision making at the line is improving and off the tee he's fine. Hoping he gets some more game time this season to see if he keeps kicking on

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

I think the game may be passing buckley by in terms of Size. Bulter maybe the same. Murray has still a bit of filling out to do. The maul defence was very poor. Against the strong teams Burke, Papaili and Thornbery would be better suited

• Advertisement

In their minds it feels like Kerry losing to Leitrim of course the are pissed. Thats 2 former great super rugby teams losing in the sportsground lol

Does the back 3 look better covering kicks minus TOH? Sullivan is very solid and the perfect man to defend against jameslowe. Fitz is not the playmaker like Carty, explains the Hawkshaw interest. Interesting to see teams target Prendergast with intimidation and rough play, shows you how highly he is rated outside connacht. Fifita looks great finally getting game time after injuries, internationals and Tonga flood issues and LH Tuimauga did great, out of position against a world cup winning prop. both make a lot of hard carries.

Post edited by jimdemp on

We're starting to have rich problems building toward LeinsterS

Buckley, Bealham, Boyle (having him back is a real improvement), Prendergast, Carty, Aki, Hansen are 7 nailed on

Then :

2) Heff or Delahunt (who worked well on his throws)

4) Murray, Dowling or Dillane

5) Thornbury or Fifita'a

7) Oliver or Butler

9) Marmion or Blade

12-13) Daly, Arnold or Farrell alongside Aki

back-three) Wootton, Sullivan, Porch, TOH, McNulty, Kilgallen, Healy, fighting

Except the latter where Woot and Porch by thin margin should IMO start with Hansen

Others are real 50/50 under my POV

Same for

17) Burke, Duggan or Tuimoga

18) Aungier or Tuimoga

19) one of our locks above

20) Oliver/Butler OR Papali'i (inferior but better impact player?)

22) Fitz or Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Was playing for Galwegians at the weekend, so you'd imagine he's still involved with Connacht in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The saffa twitterverse isn't going to be happy that their second yellow (which most of them didn't think was a penalty) has been upgraded to a red.

Matthew Devine has been excellent for the u20s imo. Good fundamentals, relentless energy, and a real breaking threat. We've a bit of a logjam at scrumhalf, as we share pretty much all available minutes between Marmion and Blade. Doesn't leave much development time for Colm Reilly, never mind Will Reilly, Hubert Gilvarry, or Devine.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we retained both Marmion and Blade beyond 2023. Reckon Blade may have signed a one year deal to wait and see what Connacht/Marmion do next year without committing himself long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Could badly do with a few A games. A lot of lads need gametime.

Absolutely agree. Far from ideal to have promising players come through from the 20s and spend a year playing AIL 2B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Have you a link about the yellow being upgraded to a red? Did some googling, but found nothing

Advertisement