Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Ah here, will you quit! Let's get out of division four first before we even start assuming we can't get promoted from division three.

There was a lot of very sloppy play over the 70 minutes. The pass that led to their goal was criminal. Moynagh getting black carded when we had just pulled four points clear and Carlow were down to 14. The senseless red card (just after we conceding 1-1). Oisin Kiernan twice overhitting simple hand passes in the first half. The really lazy tacking by forwards as noted by Lemlin just coughing up frees. And notably two scores for Carlow from frees in the second half where Conor Madden and then Lynch jogged back to cover an overlap but not getting close leaving handy tap overs (and both being yelled at by the bench to provide cover- criminal!)

Glass half full: i thought we played some really good football in spells, but as noted by Cavan_KIng, we've yet to play anything close to a full game of football. James Smith and Thomas Galliagan in spells looked brilliant- fielding some brilliant ball and horsing through tackles. Gearoid was imperious (again!). I thought Cormac O'Reilly played really well in the first half. Brilliant movement, workrate exceptional, broke some tackles, set up a few scores, fouled for at least one (possibly two) frees and kicked a point. I thought Cian Madden had a good game- carried the ball at speed, head up and was looking for things to happen. Pity he didn't take the chance he had for a score, but he's settling nicely into that role. Against a very strong wind, we seemed to manage the game quite well and kicking 19 points is a good return. Should have had two goals- but at least we created goal scoring opportunities.

Glass half empty: Carlow could have conceivably had three more goals. Brilliant stop by Ray and a magnificent goal line clearance by Podge. We had a gale at our backs and kicked some poor wides in the second half. Patrick Lynch wasn't at the races today. I would have hooked him over O'Reilly. Half back line (where we have been dominant for years) was very passive (the Holla is such a loss there- he's usually the metronome to set that tempo). Conroy, Moynagh and Kiernan (and Gerry Smith) all had bad days at the office.

Unless Thomas isn't fit there is no reason to play him near goals. Michael Argue is a lovely club footballer but he is never an intercounty midfielder (does he even play there anymore for Bailieborough?). He's too passive for midfield and the game seems to pass him by.

Still, three games, three wins. Move on to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Michael Argue couldn't make the team 4 or 5 years ago ,so not sure how he in there at present. But it's obviously a big commitment, so he's making the effort to be there.

Were David or Michael Brady from Ballyhaise asked in? Sligo have some big physical forward like Niall Murphy and Pat Hughes. Cavan can't be giving them space like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Well said. There’s a clear pecking order in Division 2 with the top four pulling away from Down, Cork, Offaly & Meath. I’ve seen alot of Meath over the years and have always said we are a better team than them. I certainly wouldn’t fear any team between Division 4 and that bottom level of Division 2.

As mentioned by the We Are Cavan lads, we have an annoying habit of playing to the level of our opponents. It’s rare we ever see Cavan go out and hammer a team. The last example I can remember is the League game vs Roscommon in 2019 in Breffni but everything went our way that day.

Considering it was his third start at senior level, I thought he has improved with each game. A lot of younger players when they start struggle to get into games. Madden got a lot of ball, and that is a good sign (showing well, reading the game well) and definitely broke a few challenges which he struggled to do against Armagh and even Wexford. It's a big step-up, but the signs are positive with the caveat that there is a long way to go. I would definitely keep him in the starting 15 to get him developing.

• Advertisement

I couldn't see what was up with Gerry Smith. He was grimacing when he was coming off but it didn't seem to be muscular (he's had problems with hamstrings in the past) and wasn't limping. Maybe he came off as a precaution. Hopefully Killian Clarke is back and he could slot in for Thomas in the middle. Jason is a huge loss as he could do a man-marking job on the likes of Murphy (although I think Podge will take that on). We're going to be playing a lot of ball in the next month so the panel is going to be tested, that's for sure. Could do without stupid suspensions though.

I would have loved to play Sligo last week. Given how the steamrollered Carlow everyone has assumed they are somehow a beast of a team, and that sort of hype is no good for any team. Carlow were missing half their team and on a poor run. Sligo scraped a win over Wexford (who we know are no great shakes) and lost to Tipp (who scraped a draw against Waterford, beaten by Leitrim). What does that tell us? Division four is a dogfight, most teams are capable on their day of ambushing any other. It's isn't a linear "Sligo beat Carlow by 23 points, therefore they are 19 points a better team than us". Markievicz Park is never an easy place to go to, but I would be backing us for the win (not by much, as is per the norm!)

Nail on the head. We won and never looked like losing. I know a few lads I was sitting beside were raging we didn't put a Sligo-style score over Carlow, but how realistic is this? We aren't that sort of team. Our game management is getting better for certain and without flying out of the traps (which would be worrying this early), we've won three in more or less straightforward fashion. Efficient but not spectacular.

Also, was Caoimhín O'Reilly's first score for us in almost 4 years? He took his score really well and that is massive bonus if he's fit and hungry.

I completely forgot that he came on in the 2019 final!

He also kicked a shot into the keepers hand in the Ulster final..Caoimhin Reilly is a good ball winner with good pace,he's probaly a bit predicable though. He rarely uses his right foot. Paddy Lynch is comfortable on either foot.

It's good that Reilly is one the panel and putting the pressure on. His younger brother is a very good forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Would there not be room for him alongside Cormac O'Reilly and Patrick Lynch? Conor Madden looks better coming off the bench at this stage and has had plenty of opportunity to nail down a spot and hasn't.

• Advertisement

I always argue that people don't realise the importance of Gerry Smith to this team. Unfortunately, he's a speedster so the hamstring is always an issue but I think he was a huge loss last year. Time and time again, he is the player we look to get the ball to when we're stuck. I watch a bit of American football and he's almost like a quarter back to me at times. Ball goes to Smith. Try an attack from there. Doesn't work. Ball back to Smith and we go again. Rinse and repeat. He doesn't offer the explosive attacking play that Ciaran Brady did but he does the simple things right. People often ask about Dara Mcveety on here but I never heard him talk higher of any player than Smith.

Division 4 is certainly throwing up interesting results but the aim, by hook or by crook, has to be to win every game and to win silverware at the end of it. 3 League finals we've had in the last decade and won none of them. 2014 Division 3 we finished with a perfect record (albeit the game against the Rossies in the group was a dead rubber) and lost the final.

For Sunday, Mick Argue was listed as corner forward but he played in the middle and Galligan moved in and out. I would much prefer to have Reilly, Lynch and O'Reilly in there as genuine attacking threats. Cormac O'Reilly is really giving it everything he has to nail down a spot, you really have to love his application and effort.

I said it earlier in the season - I do not understand sending Galligan in to be wasted in the FF line for long periods. Send him in for a rest if needs be but he’s better running at opponents and breaking lines out the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I understand it in that we have no one stepping up as a ball winner inside or an option for a long 50:50 ball. Anyone see any developments in our forwards after appointment of our new forwards coach? No, me either.

Cavan don't have many tall inside forwards so sending in Galligan has some logic.. Madden has good size but he's never consistent.

Kevin Tierney was very good last year in the Club Championship but he's been in before and didn't impress.

He's been in place all of a few months. Allow him some time to work with the players. In fairness to him, given we are playing in Division 4 and no forward is setting the world alight consistently on the scoring board, other than Gearoid, it doesn't look like he has much to work with. Hopefully that will change.

One of the things Cavan supporters have complained about is the absence of a "Marquee Forward" who would get minimum of 4/5 points per game (since about 2016 we've not had that).

Gearoid is clearly playing that role and playing it well (and let's not forget, did it in 2016 as well). The problem for the younger forward is this: do i take a shot off myself or do i look up to the big man, who on current form is kicking them over, even with players hanging off him? Taking on the responsibility to get the sore is what we want to see but in tight games a lot of times I am sure Lynch, O'Reilly and others are thinking "if this goes wide when I had Gearoid open...".

Not unique to Cavan. Happened to Monaghan for years, for example, where a lot of their forwards won ball but deferred to McManus to take on the responsibility.

Also, as said before: give our new forwards coach time. I think it's only fair to judge him at the end of the league- how many games have Cian Madden, Cormac O'Reilly, Oisin Brady, Conor Smith and Patrick Lynch had at senior level so far?

I've always heard the likes of Colm Parkinson on the GAA Hour state that Cavan attack as a team because we don't have an outstanding forward. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing and he wasn't saying it as criticism.

The one point that could be labelled about the stats quoted above is that we are playing at the bottom level of football - the defences can't get any easier to play against. You can only play what's there but Tyrone were only off the plane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

We can't score goals at all even against terrible opposition. Take out Gearoid and we have one of the worst forward lines in Ireland particularly in full forward.

Many of these lads have been there many years. Not saying there's much better in club championship because for the most part there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I would agree with the inability to get goals it's a bit concerning but we have had chances and i would be more concerned if we were not making goal chances.

3 of the starting forwards the last day are young and only played a handful of games so we need to give them time but at this level you would certainty expect more help from them on the scoring charts. In saying that i think the way we play does not help inside forwards as the ball is rarely kicked in long and early to let them get out in front and win the ball and turn and head towards goal and get a shot away.

• Advertisement

The ball isn't kicked fast enough from deep to create goal chances.. The half backs prefer to solo then kick

But lack of goals has been a problem for a few years.

Cormac Reilly been around a few years no?

I would be starting Caoimhin Reilly, to me he's the only one that has a bit of spark and could score goals. Lynch has improved this year but isn't a goal threat.

Neither of the Madden's are offering enough to start. We are also weak at wing half forward we seem to be using backs there again who have no scoring threat. Martin Reilly probably would offer more but again that says how poor we are to still depend on him.

I don't agree Tierney didn't impress, he was never given a run of starts in his time in there even though he was levels above most of the other forwards we had. He fell out with management, he's older now but as you say he's been one of the stand out forwards in club football for ten years.

It doesn't matter really, he'll never play with Cavan again I believe. It's a massive shame we never got anything out of him for Cavan. Niall McDermott is another similar age we didn't have long enough and probably both are 2 of the best forwards in Cavan even in their 30s now.

I don't think Cavan in recent times are good at producing or utilising quality forwards. We seem to prefer playing hard working defenders further up, who are unable to score but play more for the team. The hard truth is our "Forwards coach" is probably still better than most of our current forwards!

Tierney, like Caoimhin O'Reilly, has been there through a number of managers so there has to be some underlying issue IMO. I accept your point re a run of games but listening to the We Are Cavan podcast this morning on the Carlow game, Damien Donohoe made a comment to Mickey Brennan about what does a forward like Caoimhin do - someone waiting patiently for their chance - and the reply was training. Training has to be the most important thing. A player has to earn their right to starts on the training field and Tierney has been there through three different managers now.

I'd also question some of your other comments. Has Tierney consistently been one of the best forwards in the club game in Cavan? I think there's a bit of recency bias there. He spent a couple of years abroad did he not and I certainly don't remember him lighting up the club championship consistently since his breakout U21 year? I don't see much of Ballyhaise so could be wrong I admit.

Niall McDermott unfortunately went abroad and I think, as we're seeing with Moynagh now, that it's very hard to get back to the level you were at after a year or two out of the game. I've seen it over the years at club level with lads returning from Australia or America for a long term. They just aren't the players they were when they left.

The other factor is that Graham appears to be trying to build a panel for the future going forward. There are players there who are arguably younger than McDermott and Tierney and are of a similar level so he might see it as being better to work with them. I do know Ballinagh supporters were aggrieved when McDermott played very well in 2020 in their intermediate win and then didn't even receive a call from Mickey. That said, the county team won Ulster that November!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I think Cormac may have been on the panel last year but didn't see a whole pile of action so this is his first year of getting an substantial game time. I may be wrong but don't remember him being around in 2020.

I think he was 17 when he broke onto the scene in the 2018 intermediate final. Therefore he'd only be turning 21 or 22 this year so still quite young. I do believe he has had some injury issues also.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

He was playing in 2020, some league games and against Monaghan in the championship

Interesting JMac podcast with Michael Hannon last week. He made some good comments in fairness. I do take these things with a pinch of salt as he is more than likely still friendly with the likes of Johnston (whom he works with) and also Mickey (whom he and the rest of that media crew need access to for information). He seems very much of the opinion that Graham is building a panel - he referenced the Ulster final and only 17 players being used. Even at that, one of those was Niall Murray who, if memory serves me, was only brought on after Madden scored and the game was won.

He also makes some excuses re last season being truncated and Cavan being caught against Wicklow - whom I believe have won one game now in the last two years (against us!) and have just dispatched their manager only four games into the new season. I'm not really buying that one to be honest. Wicklow seem like a total basket case and we still managed to lose to them - there's no excuse for that

Of particular interest though is his comment that it takes about ten games for a new player to get up to intercounty speed and that last year stunted the development of alot of players in that Cavan only had 4 games. He also referenced Cavan needing to get some decent challenge games against Division 1 opposition in April if they want to be championship ready.

Antrim are motoring well now in the league against much better teams than we have played. I think it's going to be very difficult unless we start improving and that must start this weekend. A win vs Sligo and we have one foot in Division 3

• Advertisement

Wasn't the Kildare league game his first and then i think a half against Roscommon? He definitely started against Monaghan but from memory he was subbed in the second half- did he get time in any of the other games? I don't think he featured in 2021 for county and was only coming back for Mullahorn from injury in the championship.

Advertisement