Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meter? What can I do with it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I don't really get the move away from storage heating to standard heaters

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me with the comparative pricing of the heater types and better insulation standards of homes and storage heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Is it correct that if you switch to a smart meter plan, you cannot switch back, if you find it is not offering any benefit?

Night time rates might make financial sense if you use the tumble dryer, washing machine & dishwasher when you are in bed at night.

But does it make safety sense? People who work in the fire safety area would not recommend it.

Ya fire safety and general safety is problematic with off- peak use of appliances , will probably be an issue again now

Electric water heating and storage heating ,heat pumps etc. are mostly ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There are so many permutations. Its ,ike what they did with mobile phone bills a few years ago and health insurance plans now. They bamboozle you with combinations, but at they end of the day all that does is hide that they have become way more expensive than the simple method of day/night.

Hopefully soon someone does what some mobile companies did and just gives simple (normal priced) plans again.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Ger,

What electricity usage monitor are you using? I have a heat pump and day/night meter but would like to get some specific data on appliances, especially since working from home.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s the standard tariff for a smart meter with ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree 100%. Choice isn't always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

The smart meter doesn't concern itself too much about the customer, it doesn't even display the power in watts which most people can identify with and watch while they switch different appliances on/off. Its less user friendly in fact than my 50 year old Ferranti meter.

My meter's disc does 225 revs/kwh, so I simply divide the time in seconds it takes to do one revolution into 16000 (16000/t) which gives the power in watts, ie, if it takes 80 secs to do one revolution then the power is, 16000/80, 200watts.

My daughters smart meter flashes a LED at the rate of 1000/kwh so better off taking the time for 2 flashes, (or even 3) Power in watts is (no of flashes)*3600/t. ie 2 flashes in 36 secs = 2X3600/36, 200watts. but disappointing that this power isn't displayed, one shouldn't have to get a app or some gadget to count the flashes and convert to display somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Better just getting an OWL monitor :)

If you want to measure individual appliances, smart plugs are great. Get 4 of them for about €20 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

They are showing shots on sky news (re energy costs) of what I presume are UK smart meters which show far more than just the power, don't know if they are the norm or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am just off a phone call with Energia.

At present I am in contract with Energia and I have a Smart meter installed. If I make no changes to my plan from the 25/04/2022 I will be paying the following rate per unit (inc. of VAT):

€0.2266 (at any time day or night)

If I pay a fee of around €100 I can change to a "Smart" plan, then I will be paying the following rates per unit (inc. VAT):

Day rate (08:00 to 17:00 hrs and 19:00 to 23:00 hrs) cost = €0.3172

Peak rate (17:00 to 19:00 hrs) cost = €0.4155

Night rate (23:00 to 08:00 hrs) cost = €0.2267

^^^^Regardless of my usage, it makes no sense for me to change, worse still one I go "Smart" I am not permitted to change back!

How "Smart" are these plans?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

They are a total scam. I wrote to pricewatch in the Irish times, see if they'll take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

You are comparing different things.

You are getting a currently heavily discounted tariff which will go up with the price rise but you are still getting the discount.

If you break the contract you will have to pay a fee, and you no longer get the new customer discount.

(100 euro is an awful way for energia to behave if someone wants to enable the meter, you'd think they could just transfer the remainder of your contract to the smart tariff for no fee and keep giving you the discount)

The energia smart tariff doesnt look good mind, i'ds end up about 13 euro worse off a year compared to the 24 hour tariff, and SSE's price rise also increased the day rate of the smart tariff by more than the 24hr one.

I think we should all write to Minister ryan and tell him if he wants everyone on smart meters he should tell the energy companies that anyone with a smart meter should be offered smart tariffs but should also be offered a match of any of the 24hr or day night tariffs they offer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Read my post carefully.

You are incorrect. I rang Energia today. Above are the exactly prices I was quoted inclusive of the price hikes that will be imposed on me on the 25th of this month.

I always get a discounted rate as I change supplier annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

You are currently in contract.

So you are getting a discounted rate, the figure you quoted is with the discounted rate you have for your contract, i agree its good.

If you enable the smart meter you are breaking your current contract, the figures you then quote are without your discounted rate.

Its not a like for like comparison.

@eeepaulo regarding this comment: "If you enable the smart meter you are breaking your current contract, the figures you then quote are without your discounted rate."

I don't agree. Energia did not consider this as breaking my contract.

When I talked with Energia yesterday they told me that should I opt for a smart meter plan I could avail of a discounted rates. First they quoted higher rates for day, night and peak (smart plan) then they quoted the rates I posted above with my discount applied (also smart plan).

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i got a smart meter installed last week - am i right in thinking that i should wait until i'm out of contract with Energia to move to a smart plan (with them or another provider?) - contract is up in September

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭raxy

Compare the plans when your contract is up. At the moment smart meter plans are all more expensive then current plans. If you move you will likely be paying more for the same electricity.

You don't have to change to a smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

@Ger Roe any recommendations/links for one of these gadgets that you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Unfortunately, now that I look again... they have become more sophisticated and expensive.

The nearest I could find to the unit I have is this : https://purchase.ie/product/energy-saving/efergy-engage-hub-energy-monitoring-kit

That costs €99.95 and operates like my unit does, except the display unit is now portable - mine is plugged in. It also now produces fancy usage graphs.

This one at STG£69.99, sends data via wifi to a phone or tablet.

They all basically calculate power usage through a remote sender located at the fuse or meter box, connected to a sensor clamp attached to the incoming supply cable. If you input your unit price for electricity, and add in a calculation for the service charge and carbon tax... you can display a real time calculation of cost of use at any particular time.

In the end though, it is all basic physics and common sense - generating heat or motive power through electricity, is going to cost money - do less of it... or do it for less time with appliances that you can't do without. Graphs and readouts wont save you money... common sense will, but in the end, whatever you do.... we will all end up paying far more for using far less electricity.... even if you end up eating your dinner at three in the morning to save costs, you will only be trying to fight against inevitable price rises, as opposed to actually getting cheaper electricity. :)

Smart meters are a scam to make the consumer think that they have some hope of reducing costs. You can take steps to reduce costs right now, but you can't avoid inevitable unit price rises. The energy companies have to make profits... if we all use less, they are going to have to charge us more, to make their profits.

The government policy is leading us straight into the scam.... to pay more for using less from a national grid... why are individual homes and local communities not being encouraged (grant assisted) more to generate their own power? Is it because the existing market model of private profit enterprises has to be maintained?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

here is our smart meter- installed in feb2022 at our home :

The smartphone app for it (if the meter has the GPRS module in it) is called READy I think for that one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kamstrup.readyapp&hl=en_IE&gl=US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi Andy,

That looks interesting, how does the app find and connect to your meter? Do you have to give it some info from the front of the meter, eg the serial number?

I had one of these installed recently, and was disappointed to realise that I cannot access the data. There's no way I'm switching to any plan until I can fully interrogate my current (?) setup and make a profile.

I've downloaded the app, but it looks like I need to connect to a central server somewhere to get the data. Or am I doing it wrong?

Do you stay on the same plan when the smart meter is fitted ?

I currently on 24hr

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭raxy

Yes I'm still on the same plan. 24hr as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Here is a straight up question, what if someone grew a few plants for personal from time to time. Usage would spike a bit. Would a smart meter pick this up and invite trouble ?

Ah No

Don't they work on a 12/12 cycle ? You'd have em on nite rate the lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Yes that is how it works. Like it's not industrial or anything.

Wont trigger anything

Hiya yeah i downloaded the app too.I think the server thing was for installation , but when i press 'send receive' icon it gets to scan a barcode or one ofthose square blocky things and I done it both on the barcode on the meter but it just says cannot recognise and try again

• Advertisement

There is another app for the phone nick called Smart Me app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smart_me

it wants to scan a QR code on the wifi module at the top of the meter above the display , but there is no sticker on mine with it on nor barcode ... so I reckon they have not put the wifi module in ... at €125 excl VAT for the wifi module I am not surprised.

https://www.smartred-shop.de/en/p/smart-me-kamstrup-modul-for-omnipower

https://web.smart-me.com/project/smart-me-app/

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/63b1b1_6c76d25d0e234872b37eb314858be138.pdf

https://youtu.be/BVtkdrsQcrE

Advertisement