Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish venues - and the good times you had.

• 02-03-2022 6:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some many great venues from back in the day are either closed for good or changed hand.

Let's talk about.

I'll start off with what used to be my fav venue and what I used to consider the center of Dublin. The Temple Bar Music Center. It wasn't huge, it wasn't tiny. I wasn't even that pretty, but I went to (and missed) so many great gigs there it's hard to even count them all. From my experience, very little hassle from the security or crowd alike. Drinks we not a total rip off and mostly people just went there to have the craic. There is still a lot to be said for the space, now The Button Factory, but I kinda liked the unpolished TBMC.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Mantra in Maynooth. I chatted to a woman there once.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The Funnel on City Quay. I misspent a lot of my yoof in that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I used to like the Music Centre alight. But I saw Einstürzende Neubauten there in 2004, and while it was an amazing gig, the stage wasn't big enough for all their custom instruments, so they had to cut down their set - which kind of made me resent it a bit. But I did see plenty of other great gigs there too.

I always liked the Tivoli Theatre. Saw loads of great bands there - Orbital, Beastie Boys, Pop Will Eat Itself, lots more. Spent the night of my 21st there at an Andrew Weatherall DJ set. Good times. The place got demolished and turned into a hotel.

Not a venue as such, but the beer garden in Fibber Magees, where I spend my entire formative years in the '90s, is due to be turned into a hotel soon too. 😪

I remember magic nights in the Lobby Bar.

@Gregor Samsa Spent a few formative years in Fibbers myself too. Daresay we crossed paths a few time ordering "Fuel" and hiding when the bouncer came on shift and went around to make sure everyone already inside was old enough to be there. Made two nice friends there called Hugh and Brian. Wonder where they are today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Used to love going to The Gypsy Rose for the first few years it was open before it turned into a dive.

4 euro Morgans & Coke with Jimmy doing acoustic covers of Thin Lizzy songs, great times.

The Temple Bar Music Centre was indeed great, I used to go to those Blast! Gigs on Saturdays around 2001 or so when I was a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

God we're all so old. Goodtime Charlie's in Howth, I collected glasses there in the late 90s for a bit and then I was old enough to drink there, was great for picking up young wans, so many times we'd spend all our money on booze and have to walk for nearly 2 hours to get home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Sir Henry's, Cork.

A mis-spent youth was never so much fun...Never made it to the iconic gigs, but fondly remember John Martyn, Blue in Heaven, Sultans supporting Golden Horde etc etc...

I still chuckle when I think of the weekend that all the homeboys traded in their hair, denim and scowls for hugs and shiny tracksuits. It really did feel like it happened overnight. Marked a whole new legendary era in Cork city.

Upstairs at the Mean Fiddler. Many great gigs there. I also remember it being on of the better ventilated places in Dublin before the smoking ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Did Conway's on Parnell Street (Dublin) close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

I still miss the Temple Theatre. Cracking venue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Spirit on Abbey Street. Traffic and Mojo next door to it. The Red Box. Temple Theatre. Great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I saw many a great gig in the Ambassador Theatre back in the noughties. Not to be confused with the Ambassador hotel nightclub on the Naas road, which was a shíthole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Saladin Ane

The Zhivago and afterwards a lockin at The Kilimanjaro 🤗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

McGonagles in Dublin

Saw a lot of great bands play there between 1988-1992. The Wedding Present, The House Of Love, Happy Mondays + The Shamen, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Inspiral Carpets (who broke the floor), Loop + Therapy?, Curve.......

Great club nights on Thursdays (Panic) & Saturdays (Sonic Boom)

No beer, just Ritz or wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

The Phoenix, and the Lobby.

We used to have UCD events there, the traffic light ball and others. Convoy of middle-class kids getting bussed in and out of that place. The locals were looking at us like we were some exotic animals lmfao.

I was a little bit worse for wear in the Red Box one night, accidentally walked into the women's toilets instead of the mens. The ladies quite sternly ejected me from the place. Tough but fair they were. Thankfully I was too drunk to be embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Anyone remember Club Usi and The Furnace? Had many a fun night there. While I wasn't into dance music they had some major DJs play there I was told. Cheap drinks for students in Temple Bar was pretty impressive.

My all time favourite place is the Palace on Camden Street between 1998-2001. Downstairs was 80's and had more of a bar/chat/dance scene. Upstairs was more of a proper nightclub to dance in with darker lighting and dance/hip hop music. When you got bored of one floor you could spend about 10 minutes doing a lap of the place and going upstairs, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Theatre Royal in Limerick, I remember The Prodigy played there back in 1992.

The Desmond Arms was another good spot in Limerick back in the 90's, especially when Leo Shine used to do the Karaoke there.

In more recent years I do miss The Blind Pig in Limerick, especially the heavy metal gigs in the basement section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

McGonagles was great. I remember being right up the front for Therapy? there once. Amazing energy. Was up very near the front for Nomeansno there too.

The Hope Promotions gigs in the late 80s/early 90s were epic. Loads of them in Charlies on were on Sunday afternoons and all-ages - a great mix of punk, hardcore and indy bands from all around the world, supported by Irish bands. No alcohol, couple of quid at the door, all ages welcome. Plus some classics like Pitch Shifter in the Fox & Pheasant and the legendary Green Day gig in The Attic in 1991 in front of about 80 people (I was actually there).

Lots of great gigs in the Rock Garden - used to go into the Saturday afternoon ones in there a lot, local bands. I was in a band, and it was always our dream to play there but it never happened. Few mates bands use to play, and it was a great place to hang out.

Our band was offered support for minor Earache hardcore band Intense Degree, but the gig got cancelled. Only places we ever played was The Underground and The Earl Grattan. Smiley Bolger, who was a neighbour, dropped in to one of the Grattan gigs and gave us a mention on The Beat Box on RTE 2 the next day. That was the height of our success 🤣

Barnstormers was another great venue. Or rather, a crappy venue with great gigs. Nofx, GGFH, Alice Donut. Myself and my mate interviewed the drummer from Nofx outside it one night for a fanzine. Someone spilled some beer, and the looper got down and licked it right off the pavement. Great memories.

The Ormond Multimedia Centre too. It was mainly known for its clubs, but there were some cool gigs there too (Saw Nomeansno a few times). I worked in the exhibition space there for a summer, used to have to take down all the art before any gig or club, and put up all these brightly coloured neon canvasses in their place. Then after the event, put all the art back up. One of my favourite things about that place was they had Scrumpy Jack on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Sir Henrys Cork circa 1996-99. Not the Sweat night, which is the one everyone goes on about and I went to maybe twice, but Freakscene on either Wednesdays or Thursdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I remember seeing Therapy? in McGonagles too. I know I was there a few other times but I can't remember who I saw.

The SFX was a great spot. A lot of my earlier gigs were there; The Sugarcubes, The Wedding Present, Nick Cave, Therapy? again, The Cramps, Fugazi, Eat Static.

The Rock Garden/Eamonn Doran's was another nice enough spot. For some reason, I can only remember seeing The Fatima Mansions there (probably more than once) but surely there were more...

I was at some good gigs in the Ambassador on Parnell Square too. Tricky, Sigur Rós, Death In Vegas, Belle & Sebastian, Asian Dub Foundation. Is that being used for anything these days? Well, pre-Covid I had the impression it might have had stuff like pantos there but I'm basing that on nothing much.

For most of my 4 years in college, I was commuting from Kildare so rarely stayed over, meaning I had to leg it for the last bus. Trickier to make the bus if the gig was further from Busáras/Ha'penny Bridge. I still managed to go to Fibber's a bit. I actually stayed in The Gate Hotel (part of Fibber's) about 4 years when I was going to a gig elsewhere, but the gig got cancelled last minute so I went to see a punk band from the Isle of Man in Fibber's0 instead. Crotch Lice! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Already mentioned but spent my formative years in McGonagles - saw sh!tloads of Thrash bands there in the late 80's (Acid Reign, Sabbat, Xentrix, Sacred Reich, Onslaught etc) and Metal / Hard Rock (Ozzy, Def Leppard) ... then saw some indie stuff (Blur, Curve) - dance stuff (The Prodigy).

Also Tom Hayes Metal Night every Friday was brilliant.

Before that the SFX was great for gigs - saw lots of Metal gigs there - Dio, Def Leppard (with Tesla - the reason I went), Queensryche, Mama's Boys, Gary Moore, Marillion (ok, not metal but excellent)

There was also the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire - saw loads there too. Metallica (both nights on the And Justice For All tour), Anthrax, Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Sepultura, Faith No More

Didn't see a gig there but played a "Battle Of The Bands" type night in the old Baggot Inn , and supported a band in The Rock Garden

All those venues are long gone 😥 Man I'm old 😂

I was only in the Top Hat once (for Sonic Youth/Nirvana) but I really liked the set-up of the place. I was supposed to see the Jesus & Mary Chain there in October '89 but it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Speakeasy in Limerick seen all those bands. Asked the singer of Sultan to play Turnip Fish. Said we are gone beyond that. Oh yeah Dinosaur Junior.

• Advertisement

Seen Therapy in 1990 in the Stables Bar. About 20 people at the gig.

Strictly Rhythm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The Top Hat and SFX. Sorely missed. A quick shout out to the National Stadium on the SCR too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I farted once on the set of Blue Lagoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I forgot The Olympic Ballroom..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

spent many a night drinking cheaply in club USI after gigs in TBMC or Whelans/Mean Fiddler etc. Was the Furnace a different spot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Was just about to say McGonagles - Saw some great bands in there between the same years you mentioned. Ozzy twice in 1991 - paid a fiver a ticket for each night.

First time ever got hammered was on ritz--was at the "thrash bash" on a Friday night!!!!

As someone said earlier, Tivoli had some great shows. Saw Madlib and Chali 2Na there. Saw Afrika Bambaataa there also way back when.

Someone said the Funnel also. Saw DJ Noize there in the height of the Skratch DJ, DMC era.

Mad to think they will be touring around the EU sometime around May this year :) Still going!

Hah I remember both of those. Also attended - and even organized - a few gigs in the Half Moon. And Gorbies.

I am periodically back in Cork every so often. But never get to go out much there any more. Must have a weekend bender there some time and see what places are still there and gone.

What was that bar that used to have tiny gigs on sometimes - think it was across the road or close to being across the road from Lynches Chipper. Hmmmmmm lynches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The Hangar on Andrew’s Lane off Dame st. (Honourable mentions to the Twisted Pepper of Abbey st and District 8 of Tivoli theatre)

Had my first yoke there - quickly learned why it was otherwise aptly known as ecstasy.

Brilliant, vibrant times, dancing all night, opening up with friends and having great conversations with people I’d otherwise never speak to. Everything seemed possible and the world was pregnant with opportunity. Would love to hear what my 20 year old self would think when told he’d be a corporate shill sales manager at a global pharma company down the line. Would be some laugh.

While I’ve left that all behind me now I’ll never forget those nights - I firmly believe that they left me a much more tolerant and rounded person overall than I would’ve been otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Saw The Waterboys and The Pogues there and also The Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Mimes nightclub in Carlow. Back in the days when you brought your birth cert (or someone elses 😀) as proof that you were over 18.

Then there was the POD/Tripod/Red Box/Crawdaddy too. Once, I didn't have a ticket for Moby but my friends were going so I headed to The Bleeding Horse with them. I got sorted outside which was the only time I bought a ticket from a tout, and it was probably a fake. I was delighted when I saw a lad I knew from my hometown working on the door, but when I showed the ticket, he kept examining it, chatting away but still examining. Luckily enough, the lovely female bouncer working with him told him it was fine so I got in. 😎 I think the gig was underwhelming, though.

True. They went to Theater Royal around 1997. All the fans then saying why I was not going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

Johnny cash,thin lizzy,David gray,scissor sisters,Shane McGowan,train,one republic,Christy Moore,the stunning,waterboys,

saw then all at the Forum in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Shocking that only one person here so far has mentioned The Baggot Inn. I enjoyed many a night there enjoying great Dublin bands. Never saw any of the big acts there like Bowie/Tin Machine (did see In Tua Nua launch their second album there.) Great vibe to the place. I still miss it. 😥

Used to go to The Underground on Dame Street as well (now a condom shop 🙄 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Grand Cabra - Saw Siouxsie and the Banshees supported by Microdisney and another night The Ramones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭inajock

The TV club on Harcourt street I think it was, seen The Blades there and maybe it was Stars of heaven It was the early eighties.

Mean Fiddler - Saw Public Enemy (Thanks DJ Flip), DJ Shadow, Jeru The Damaja, Luke Vibert, Kool Keith and others there.

Anyone remember The Kitchen? Used ot be a student night in there back when you still had to serve food. There was a drink special where it was £1 for a vodka and £1 for a Redbull. So naturally you'd order a triple vodka and redbull for £4 in a pint glass. 1 or maybe 2 and you'd be good for the night. Have to say, the bang of redbull walking in there though, lol. There was much worse smelling venues though tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭rainagain

@Gregor Samsa @RayCon what was the bands name for the Rock Garden gigs? I have photos from one or two of the afternoon gigs, only name I can remember is the Foreign Correspondents.

So many memories being jogged from places I haven't thought of in years....

• Advertisement
Advertisement