Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding work with large gaps in CV

Options
  • 02-03-2022 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am looking for some honest opinion here.

I found myself out of work just before the pandemic started and was unable to find work during the whole course of the pandemic.

Now with restrictions lifting, I find it very hard finding employment. I am very honest about this long gap in my CV and always referred to the pandemic. Sadly I also have the challenge that one of my previous managers in my career passed away partially due to the pandemic but also by some earlier health issue.

Initial activity is good feedback from recruiters, the CV apparently still attracts recruiters, however in an interview process of 4 interviews, I usually get rejected for unknown reasons after the 2nd interview. Real feedback has been very few and far between, at best, most of the time I can only be guessing.

Any ideas what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Be honest about the gap, most recruiters expect COVID related gaps in a lot of CVs due to no fault of the applicant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Recruiting staff costs time and money, employers don't go through the process of taking you to the second level if they don't have a genuine interest in you as a potential employee.

A big part of the recruiting process is judging how you will fit in the rest of the team more than your technical skills or experience. For some people that comes easy, for others it takes time to find 'your people'. If it happens a few more times, then perhaps you should should consider an advanced interview techniques course or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

Try civil service jobs, I was in probably worse position than you re gaps in CV. If they employed me they'll take anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

The specific problem I have is that if there is that even with the pandemic receding, they are still doing video interviews. In these interviews, I find it very hard to make any form of connection.

The next problem I have is that it's very hard to "stand out" or make "an impact" in these video interviews as well. Especially if there are 4 or 5 video interviews and the time in between is 2 to 3 weeks at a time. The longevity of the time in-between interviews also loses a lot of the momentum, I don't have any precise memories and they don't. It seems more a roulette game at the moment.

Pre-Covid that was easer, often one qualification phone call, one on site meeting and seeing 2 or 3 managers, maybe one future colleague, and then references are called up, and then an offer was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you’re doing four or five rounds of interviews, you are going for fairly serious, big jobs. Lower your expectations, aim lower to get your foot in the door, and work your way up from there.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the roles I am going for are sadly not that kind of big jobs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

how honest are you being? "i wasnt working so was drinking 4 days a week", is prob too honest (not saying you're saying this{or doing this}, but honesty aint always the best policy).

aside from that, are there any other issues with your CV? you should get some people (not friends/family) to give it a once over.

can you demonstrate you were looking for work during the lockdown; or due to the industry you are in, there were no opportunities?

as for feedback from interviews...dont think employers/recruiters bother anymore once the application is discarded.

are you applying for positions above your level?

can you get references if required?

keep plugging away, there are lots of jobs out there.

all those questions BTW, are for you to answer yourself, not to post up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What kind of jobs have four rounds of interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

IT would in some places. I've heard rumors about the big tech ones. I've done several 3 interviews - initial, technical and HR. I can easily see another second opinion technical one especially now with video calls.

yep, I used to work in the IT sector.

These 4 to 5 rounds of interviews seem to be the norm now post Covid.

The jobs are neither above my level not really below, or maybe a little below by now.

It's hard to aim for very low with 20 years of experience, it's just not credible.

Also the market seemed rather dead, during the whole last year in what I've been doing in IT.

• Advertisement

Lots of IT jobs for a start... A general filtering interview to start, perhaps 2 technical interviews, a interview with the team lead/manager and perhaps the problem domain owner...

I think your biggest problem is a lack of patients! You are hitting the mark, it is just a question of time for you to find 'your people' and unfortunately that is a bit hit and miss. But I fully expect that you will get there.

Now that the pandemic is dying down, it is probably a good idea to start networking again - show, society meetings, talks etc.... and see if you can get introductions that way as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Interview process seems to be getting longer alright for IT stuff. They use the initial zoom meeting to wittle out a few people they don't want and then start bringing them on site. Worst of both worlds !

The recruiting process is an expensive exercise and no one likes to spend more that is needed, but some IT people treat their CV as an exercise in creative writing when it comes to having tech knowledge and experience. You start talking to them you realise their knowledge does not extend past the Youtube video they watched or the Wikipedia article they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Depending on the type of roles you are going for you can always fill in gaps with saying you went travelling as your passion is photography or drawing. Really depends on how big a gap. You could have done volunteering at a charity while travelling. You could have been an entrepreneur. Anything. Except don’t go too much. Hopefully everything works well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Maria Rrzz

Hi Annascaul,

After reading the thread, I think it is a matter of patience and feel more comfortable with the webinar work relationships.

You have explained the gap and the recruiters are aware of the gap and an unexpected references issues. Managers passed away for unexpected circumstances such as road accident. In this cases, the recruiters will seek to test your confidence and problem solve skills, who can give employment reference and what are the employment reference ? they will be looking for attendance records and relationships, I will contact with someone in the HR you get on well and one of your colleagues that will give a good word. You can ask a letter of employment from the HR, the letter will say you were employed as from to.

The online interviews have its pros and cons. It is difficult to make eye contact and connect at human level. The language body reading is partial and we tend to look to our webcam instead of looking the screen and therefore the interveners panel. Look at the screen and plan the environment, the light on your face ! youtubers have a lamp to illuminate their faces. It is circular without the centre. They put the web cam in the centre. You can have similar illumination effect with a desk lamp or the sun light. The secret is to not direct the light to your web cam and watch out the shadows on your face (the eyes sockets and moustache)

The next time ask ahead about connections perks, it will show you have normalized the e.work and they should tell you how to act if one interviewer got freeze or the audio stop or is on off.

I think you have been doing it all well. The thing you feel missing or it can be improved it a psychology weakness, we all want what others had. Which means candidates in employment tend to be more attractive. You can make yourself more attractive by alternative activity from volunteering to sports to hobbies to study. Here is the answer to the question how are you occupying your time these days, how are you keeping your skills up and how are you continuing developing yourself. The good news is in the pandemic scenario, I would say all it is permitted, positive.

Good luck

Advertisement