Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

You are right on both counts, but there was no need for the but. That's a "look over there" tactic. It all needs to be addressed.

Cutting methane in livestock is a red herring as it feeds into the lobby group anti-farm, anti-rural way of thinking. Yes it needs to be reduced, yet naturally the number of livestock in Europe has being going down. Yet, we're all told the cows are killing us so we must reduce the herd. As was shown in this thread previously, methane from fossil fuels is hugely underestimated. I'm no scientist, but cow numbers down, fossil fuel use up and methane levels up does not lead the finger of blame to the cows. We need some brave soul to start testing the isotopes from the methane to pinpoint which industry it comes from.

Of, lets not forget livestock methane is part of the biogenic cycle. They aren't producing more or releasing more. Hence - cycle. The auld fracking and all that malarkey is releasing NEW methane.

And it's this sort of nonsense that annoys me, and others. It's a pick on the farmer approach cos the majority of people don't have a connection to their food, don't value their food, don't value the environmental efforts of farmers and are just told they are bastards. Yet they still want to be fed.

I feel I'm ranting now :-)

EPA to investigate State response to peat extraction on protected bogs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Of, lets not forget livestock methane is part of the biogenic cycle. They aren't producing more or releasing more. Hence - cycle. The auld fracking and all that malarkey is releasing NEW methane.

hang on, if a cow belch produces methane that was not methane before, that's new methane, surely?

It was methane before, then converted to carbon and stored. The cow belched due to digestion of food which would have captured carbon to grow.

https://clear.ucdavis.edu/explainers/biogenic-carbon-cycle-and-cattle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was CO2 before, then converted to sugars and starches and stored. if the cow didn't create the methane, and belch it, the methane would not have been created in the first place.

• Advertisement

Methane converts to CO2, then that is stored. The methane is only released then from digestion. Which then turns to CO2 and gets stored until the next lad comes along and eats it and releases it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Methane and CO2 are natural gases and can be absorbed. I don’t think F (man made) gases can. Given our society how do we go about reducing our need on f gases-refrigeration, air conditioning, fire extinguishers, aerosols to name a few

again, you're presuming the methane is being produced and then claiming no new methane is being produced because of your presumption.

methane is many, many times more powerful a GHG than CO2 is. over 20 years, between 50 and 100 times more powerful.

if you converted a farm used to graze cattle, to tillage, for example - there would be no methane belched out which would linger in the atmosphere for a couple of decades.

I'm presuming the methane released is methane that was previously released and is being reused. Net gain = 0 over time. It's a cycle. Fracking and the like is releasing new methane that was stored millions of years ago, and is then "new".

Look at methane levels throughout history when the # of livestock was static. Then us humans come along and start fossil fuels and the amount in the atmosphere grows, exponentially.

No idea but should be targeted. Is it being targeted or is it just the cows?

I'm presuming the methane released is methane that was previously released and is being reused. Net gain = 0 over time.

i'm not sure of your reasoning here. cattle will create methane. it doesn't need cattle to have created methane before, they are turning carbon and hydrogen into methane regardless of its previous existence or not.

and yes, 'over time' the methane will disappear; but it's before it decomposes that we need to worry about it. saying we don't need to worry about something after it has done its damage is weird. having a billion cattle in the world means that we are looking at unnaturally high levels of methane in the atmosphere regardless of the growth in use of fossil fuels.

we have created an (expanding) process to turn C and H into methane, and it increases the amount of methane in the atmosphere. this is not 'natural'.

• Advertisement

My argument is that the methane they "produce", is the same methane as was there before it turned to CO2. There isn't a net gain over time - it's relatively static in line with the number of animals. Of course then, reducing the number will reduce the methane emissions. It's a cycle, and is the same level year on year. Increases in methane are driven by factors that aren't livestock.

And never said we don't need to worry about it. We need to worry about it across all spectrums and reducing the herd isn't the only answer. It's a teeny tiny part.

We've always had billions of animals in the world, but methane levels have only really risen in the last couple of hundred years. See https://www.methanelevels.org/

Global cattle numbers - https://www.statista.com/statistics/263979/global-cattle-population-since-1990/ (see the way it's static but the methane graph is gone bananas?)

What else happened a couple hundred years ago? Mass transportation, mass production of all sorts of rubbish, mass waste of everything and mass growth in human population.

regardless of the growth in use of fossil fuels.

It's never the fossil fuels fault 😣

My argument is that the methane they "produce", is the same methane as was there before it turned to CO2.

you don't need methane to create more methane.

the cattle are creating methane from the carbon in the plants they eat, and those plants got that carbon via photosynthesis and the CO2 in the atmosphere.

cows can create methane in that sense where there was no methane before.

And that methane is converted to CO2, and then stored. Then released as methane, changed to CO2 and stored. Look up the biogenic cycle. Amount of methane in the atmosphere is not increasing due to ruminants. It's static, and linked to ruminant numbers. Methane has gone up in the past number of years, ruminant numbers gone down.

ah here, this is not that difficult. ruminants create methane where otherwise that methane would not be created.

just because methane created by cattle will eventually turn back to CO2 does not mean it's part of a 'natural' cycle that can then be discounted. methane is created by cattle which would not otherwise be created, and contributes to climate change. it's that bloody simple.

by the link you posted, it's present for 12 years in the atmosphere, and a methane molecule is about 100 times as potent a greenhouse gas as CO2.

let's do it simply. one cow in a closed environment, with a normal atmosphere with all the methane removed. it eats grass, and belches out methane. so the level of methane in this closed environment goes up. eventually it'll probably reach a steady state where it's 'decomposing' in the atmosphere at the same rate the cow is producing it. you're taking that steady state as your input, where the cattle have already created the methane. and it's at steady state, so hey, the cow is producing no 'new' methane.

my point is, that methane wouldn't be there without the cow.

Correct the methane created by that cow wouldn’t be there, but if the cow didn’t eat the grass the co2 wouldn’t be consumed by the soil to produce more grass leaving more co2 in the atmosphere

As roosterman is saying there’s a cycle

Exactly. Steady state. Ya got. We've been in a steady state for hundreds/thousands of years. Then the industrial revolution happened and fossil fuels began to be dug up and levels rose exponentially. Yet the cow numbers declined. The problem isn't the cow, nor is culling it the solution. We need livestock farming to keep the soils healthy.

The very fact that cows consume feed with carbon in it, release it as methane which turns to CO2 which goes back in to produce more feed is the very definition of a bloody cycle. It goes around and around and around. And around.

an atom of C captured in a methane molecule causes ~100 times as much greenhouse effect as one in a CO2 molecule.

it the cow wasn't there to eat the grass, the grass would still grow. capturing CO2.

steady state? there are now a billion cows on the planet. that's not steady. it's gone up by about 300 million in the last 50 years. 'the very definition of a bloody cycle' still does not address the fact that part of this cycle causes significant greenhouse gas emissions. if i suggested that burning down the amazon was fine, because the CO2 released would enter the atmosphere, help grass grow which could be fed to cows, you'd think i was nuts.

and what about animals which consume, but don't create methane? horses aren't ruminants. if the horse had been domesticated in the same way as cattle to produce meat, we wouldn't be having this debate, at least not in the same way. maybe that cycle would be seen as unnatural by you.

Are you sure it’s 100 times? Grass will only grow to a certain level, once it hits that threshold a new blade will replace an older one.

Just to clarify, I stated molecule for molecule. It's weight for weight that methane is about that much more powerful.

the global warming potential of methane over 20 years is 86x that of CO2. (IPCC AR5 estimate)

bear in mind that methane has a 'half life' in the atmosphere of 12.4 years, so that 20 years means that well over half of it will have already decomposed by the time the 20 year period is up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

that's the 100 year figure you've quoted. the 20 year figure is 86, and a ten year figure would be higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I mean do people not produce methane, as part of our digestion cycle. So directly I guess?

we do - this article estimates it at 344Gg in 2017 - i had to look up Gg to confirm that it is actually 'gigagrams', so that's 344 thousand tons - about 0.1% of the total figure for methane emissions caused by human activity.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1352231019304522

300 million in 50 years? Is that additional cows or replacement of wild buffalo and the like? I can't find overall numbers. Maybe point me in the direction. Yer right though, 300 million would increase methane. They have to be fed so they eat the grass. By eating it then that stimulates more to grow. It won't grow unless it's grazed. It will eventually stop. Therefore using carbon that was previously released.

Cut down the Amazon if ya like. Just replace all the trees. Ya'll be even stephen then once the new trees start capturing carbon. Don't old trees stop taking it in after a while?

Quick win here re: methane is to stop fracking and extraction of fossil fuels. Stop adding more that hasn't been released in millions of years, not the stuff that was there 12 years ago and was converted to CO2 and then taken back into the soil. Ya know, the cycle 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭youllbemine

The infographic on FGases is only applicable if the SF6 (and other FGases) actually leaks from whatever system is charged with the FGas. It cannot contribute to global warming when it is installed in a system.

Very small quantities would leak on an annual basis in Ireland. They are subject to stringent maintenance in the form of leak checks have to be done. And anyone who deals with them needs to have done an apprenticeship and hold appropriate certs. Very different to CO2/Methane in this respect.

If all the SF6 in Ireland was being released every year then this would be a huge problem. But it's not. And as alternatives come on stream this will become less of any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

This is where you misunderstand.

The grass wont grow without the cow..

Advertisement