Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

For me the Carbery at 10 experiment has come to an end. 30 caps and it is clear he is not the future at outhalf. A great rugby player but not an international level outhalf. Unfortunately, it's a Mushy situation - The IRFU and Ireland have invested so much time & money in him that they will be unwilling to move on quickly. He will be on the bench.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sunday was the nail in the coffin for me but as you say, he's a sunk cost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MrTea

Joey needs game time. Real game time, he did very well in France, has done well off the bench many times. I too have my concerns but I believe he will come good, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Mushy is an interesting comparison. As soon as we had someone better (i.e. Mike Ross), he was dumped and never seen again.

If Carbery is as bad as he's being made out, the coaches won't be blind to it and as soon as someone better comes along, Carbery will also be gone.

While I don't think Carbery is as bad as that, even if he's not the future he's still the best we have right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Are we rotating enough players into the team? There must be metrics on it. How do we compare with, say, NZ and RSA in this regard? Do we have the strength in depth to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭TRC10

South Africa are known to not rotate much and keep a very settled 23. We definitely rotate more than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

https://twitter.com/newstalkzbsport/status/1499169977454460928?t=eFpqKONMZ4GNFPvYv2vB1g&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Porter is out for the rest of the Championship. Massive blow for us as he's by far our best loosehead and one of our best players all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Tbh don’t want this to come across wrong but now is the perfect time for Ireland to miss vital players through injury. We’re far enough out from the RWC to still build depth and test that depth. Will be very interesting to see who steps up at loosehead. Healy mightn’t be the answer come RWC time.

Healy and Kilcoyne are the only other looseheads who were in the wider squad so it will be them. I'm not sure who the next cab off the rank is, O'Sullivan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We'll have to call up either EOS or Ed Byrne next week, we were already down to the bare minimum of props after TOT got injured. Presume they'll see who gets through the weekend games unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Was Wycherley involved at loosehead before? They’ll need to call up another loosehead.

wycherley

o Sullivan

Ed byrne

Duggan

would be options, think I’d go with one of the first two

Wycherley is uncapped.

O'Sullivan played against Scotland in that autumn tournament in 2020.

Ed Byrne played against USA last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I hope Kilcoyne gets the nod. Although I think it'll be Healy.

For me Kilcoyne has much better speed and explosiveness in open play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Kilcoyne will get mashed by whatever TH England choose to put out is my fear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

There is a reason Kilkoyne probably won the majority of his caps v Italy.

*edit, he actually had most v Wales.

Great club player.

Healy to start and kilkoyne to come on.

Most likely Eos or Josh W to come in.

Hows Jack mcgrath going since he came back. Got some HCup game time in December and January but Doesn't seem to have played in a month? Injured again?.

Carty playing for Connacht this weekend.

Jack McGrath is being carefully managed one would assume from a pretty debilitating hip injury. I'd say he's using the rest of this season to just get back to speed without risking anything.

He will be 33 early next season so not over the hill yet in prop terms. I'd be hopeful that he can hit the ground running and get in the frame from some caps in the Autumn with a view of the RWC next year.

But a hip resurfacing like that.... who knows where he will be at

I see he is on the bench this weekend with Warwick starting so maybe EOS covering for Porter.

Hume, Balacoune and Henderson in the ulster squad.

Thought Henderson would be in the mix for England. Obviously not

Henderson is emphatically in the mix for England.

And will likely be starting given Porter is injured. Get some ballast in the scrum.

Hendy hasn't played in weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henderson needs some minutes, I'd say he is in the mix, probably to bench is my guess

Sorry for some reason I had it in my head we were playing England this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wycherly is buried down the depth chart at Munster? Not a prayer he gets a call up. Italy would have been the time for that! Duggan? He's not even close to the level required. EOS is not going well either! He's behind Warwick, which doesn't look great for his international future. Ed Byrne is below standard too! Decent player but, that's it.

Porter missing is bad news! A real kick in the nuts. Healy will probably get the nod. But, he's not the player he used to be.

This news changes a lot! I don't think we can win in tickers without Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Ya iv no idea why people are dismissing killer and asking for josh w to be called up. Makes little sense

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Porters a huge loss. Killer is better than Healy in open play but would like to see him carry wider. He doesn't pass much which makes him a bit predictable. Healy is solid in the scrum and good at pick and goes but doesn't offer much more these days.

Out of the younger lads, no one has really done anything to threaten Killer or Healy. There was lots of noise about Josh W after Clermont and EOS at Ulster but they seem to have gone backwards lately.

Dennis Buckley would be the next best option and probably unlucky to not be capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Bod is calling for Harry Byrne to start LH against England lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I don't think it'll be Wycherley who's called up, but Farrell does have previous for flipping provincial pecking orders on their head. When he opted for Gibson-Park as his scrumhalf he was behind McGrath for Leinster. He's also preferred Harry Byrne over his brother, reversing the Leinster pecking order.

Wycherley is the guy I'd have in mind if you're talking about developing a player for the World Cup. Is it time to call him up now? Ed Byrne will probably be the one. Loughman is also in the frame. O'Sullivan seems to be behind Warwick at Ulster, and Peter Dooley is out of favour at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭TRC10

I feel like the Wycherley talk is from the Clermont game last season. I don't think he's really done much since then. He's 3rd choice at best for Munster.

Loosehead is a real problem for us. Porter is still learning to scrummage at LH. Killer and Healy are the next in line but they're but getting on and in decline. E.O'S was in great form a couple of years ago but hasn't kicked on and is behind Warwick now. J.McGrath has a way to go to get back in. Joe never fancied Buckley and Andy doesn't seem to either.

Milne or Wycherley I don't think are big enough prospects to be fast tracked like Porter was. Porter had genuine world class potential. Boyle has that sort of ceiling but it's definitely too early for him.

If Dooley plays regularly for Connacht next season I feel like he could present himself as an option. He was in the squad over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wycherley isn't within an asses roar, he impressed majorly in that game after getting folded (illegally) early on and has had a couple of nice cameos since but he's got Loughman and Killer ahead of him at the moment at Munster. I'd actually call up Loughman (he's been good this season) before Wycherley, and that's just at Munster. There's others at the other provinces ahead of him.

If he's good enough, his day will come eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

such condescending nonsense

the mood will be stark in here if we don´t come away with a win in Twickenham.

three years in a row finishing third no doubt will be spun here as some sort of good thing by the usual crowd.

Hume, RB, Coombes should have got their starts against Italy. we´ve now gone another tournament having wasted opporunities for guys. thats what im fed up with. and fed up of people just shrugging their shoulders at such **** decisions. and then complaining about us not having a or b. and yeah me being fed up doesn´t matter a jot to anybody. but to say i should stop supporting Ireland, such an arrogant position. mostly i´ve been proven somewhat right, such as the World Cup in Japan, glossed over by many of the long term posters in here.

it was a poor performance in a terrible game. its a must win for us now in a really tough game. finishing third yet again, losing the big games can´t be whatevered away. no doubt it will be by the same people who said Japan didnt matter etc.

anyway who cares. we have the talent. just needs to be used. can definitely beat England. but theres come a point when we have to start winning things. its 2022, 2018 is in the past.

Advertisement