Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

The only person that has been throwing their toys out of the pram is yourself.

We had a new transmissible virus and face masks was one tool to help with limiting spread. I really don't understand why don't understand this.

I mentioned something about being in a shop and someone telling me I didn't have to wear masks anymore and you come in here saying it's no different than being told to wear a mask IN A PANDEMIC. Anyways you're beyond educating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I think you are way off there, the current scenario is nosey-parkers comenting on someone choosing to do something harmless, the previous situations would have been (probably) nosey-parkers commenting on people not following public health measures. I think there is a bit of a difference.

I would politely tell them to mind their own business from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Your comparison was clear. Zero need to do the "FFS free passses" malarky.

I'd take about 90% people with common sense unmasked as normal on a bus, you'll always have about 10% nutters on any given route.

Own it, your implying people who are currently wearing masks are nutters.

Enjoy Fatboy slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

The tone and style of the OP's comments they might be Away With The Faries. If you get my meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

I wore a mask for the last time on Friday and last night i threw any masks i had into the fire ,I absolutely hate the things but I totally respect anyone who wants to continue wearing them ,this thread really is something else ,there is no reasoning no debating its either wear a mask or you are selfish that’s it,zero debate ,people wont even entertain the thought of not wearing one,its actually very sad because the next few weeks and months possibly even years are going to be very difficult for some people.

• Advertisement

Did they make you remove it? I very much doubt they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You say it doesn’t bother you if people don’t wear a mask, but go on to refer to the decision to remove the mandate while recommending wearing one still for busy places, as “government making a balls of it”. You clearly are bothered by people making, what in your mind, is the ‘wrong’ personal choice or risk assessment.

Legal penalties for not wearing a mask are gone for a reason, whether you agree or not. A recommendation is just that. Like it’s recommended not to eat too much sugar, or smoke or drink to excess. Many people you encounter on the bus are more likely to clog up the health system than your colleague, even if they’re masking “correctly”.

If you’re fearful for yourself - wear a high quality mask and recommend anyone vulnerable or fearful of infection to do the same. If you’re fearful on account of maskless people thoughtlessly taking up a hospital bed, the direction of your fear should be towards those that eat crap, don’t exercise, take harmful drugs to excess including alcohol- as those people are hugely more likely to take up a hospital bed than someone downed with Omicron.

And on your last point, we hear a lot of “masks don’t stop Covid transmission but help reduce it”, so then what if their nose is poking out? - they are reducing expelling from their mouth (coughs, loud speaking, spittle), - surely that’s additional protection for you and not worthy of such disdain?

There’s a strange hierarchy of mask etiquette now.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Excellent post but don't expect any kind of coherent reply from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You know that last paragraph in your post is bs.

I don't mind your response to other poster, that's between you and him.

Problem is you have no idea what any vast majority wants.

The mandate did help keep the bullies at bay, small and over sized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's a lot of Ron De Santis' on this thread and all mask related ones.

@Stormyteacup just asking, what's the strange hierarch? Masks are fairly simple, you're either wearing it right or you're not. Half wearing is still better than not wearing, but if you go to the bother of having it on your face at all, why not properly? Now, the level of protection depending on the mask is different alright, but the simple act of wearing one is... well... simple.

Bottom line for all of this going forward, wear one if you want, don't if you don't, leave the other people alone, keep a little bit of space in shop queues. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I presume he means something like 1 child has died in the last two months compared to 0 kids in the previous 22 months.

Categorically and definitively for anyone under 18 COVID does not cause any serious illness, even without vaccines.

What is it with twitter platforming these doommongers the whole time? I maintain those that use twitter a lot were bullied in school and use twitter to project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

People need to learn how to take them off now and leave them off.

All the time everywhere? Or only in certain situations? And if so, what are those situations? Or, better yet, what difference does it make to you if someone else wears one? Many have said they will continue to wear one because of their own health issues, so how do we tell the difference between those who genuinely need them vs the apparant virtue signalling sheep who refuse to remove them because of fear/advice/buzzwords?

Not having a go, just pointing out that we don't know why people are continuing to wear masks, nor is it any of our business. Some people have had parties to get rid of them (bit OTT imo), some people calling it "Freedom Day" (Jebus...), others will continue to wear them for many reasons. None of which are anyone elses business. I called it the night before recommendations were lifted, but I didn't need to leave the thread to see the attitude people now have towards mask wearers.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

"but if you go to the bother of having it on your face at all, why not properly?"

If I'm legally forced to wear one, I'm going to wear it badly, just to annoy the twitchers.

Let them complain, call the cops if they want, then I'll pull it up. They have been annoyed, the cops have been annoyed, but no fine has been paid... A good day out.

But, I must add, no one ever tackled me in a shop for wearing one badly, or for not wearing one at all, but I could see the looks 😁

And there's no longer a legal requirement to leave space, so no, I won't be standing 2m away. Time to move on and get back to the real world.

So you go out of your way to be a deliberate arshole. Noted. At least you're finally being honest. No need to try and discuss anything anymore with you. You do you. Legend.

And no one is asking for 2m to stay, just don't try and ride the person in front of you. Then again, you're a legend, you probably will just to annoy people. That's the type you just admitted to being.

You presume wrongly.

All your figures are incorrect.

You have clearly zero understanding of how many child deaths their have been in the States.

What is it with boards allowing such tripe posting?

I thought it was very obvious all along what my feelings on masks, social distancing & covid panic were?

I'm very much a "deliberate arsehole" as you so beautifully described, but hey ho, there you go.... Put restrictions on me and I'll make you work for it.

Oh sorry, I don't keep track of people on boards. You could have been the only poster for the last 217 pages and I wouldn't have noticed. I was just going on the recent comments. But again, good to know you're honest at least. One redeeming factor. As you were!

• Advertisement

Probably just posting on boards and in this thread to annoy people for a "good day out" for himself.

Must have a really boring life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Might a learning of this pandemic be that communicable diseases in general find it hard to jump those 2m? So really, we'd all be a wee bit better off by showing some courtesy and common decency to each other and giving everyone a little bit of space. Most of us will be particularly vulnerable to a multitude of diseases at some point in our lives, so maybe that simple change could have a huge impact going forward?

You make a fair point, I've not had a cough, sniffle or sore throat in two years, and I do enjoy my space, but it's back to the old, original normal, and not the "new normal" as far as I'm concerned.

If King Tony says it's over, then that's good enough for me.

I was forced to restrict my life for two years because of him, I had no choice, it was the law, and I hated every single day of it.

And now that he's said that covid is over and we can lift restrictions, I'm all for it, back to 2019 standards we go as far as I'm concerned.

In general they have been conditioned to accept them over the last year and a half with lots of mixed messages about their effectiveness.

There’s a balance, the 2 metre distancing was a load of crap but before it you’d often have fools breathing down your neck in a shop queue even when you got to the counter, you’d feel like telling them to have a bit of cop on and stay back while you are at the counter at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Great article, shows the whole theatre of masks...

Interesting, if the n95 mask can let concrete dust through and concrete dust is 1000 times larger than virus particles they are equally as useless. The argument that it’s virus droplets that the mask will stop doesn’t cut it either as the droplet will eventually be filtered through the mask from inhaling.

Yep, over 20K cases a day with a 50% positivity rate when testing had fallen apart is very clear evidence that the masks were doing very little if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As predicted, only a handful of people on the 2 buses this morning wearing masks. People are slowly waking up. My 10% prediction seems extremely generous after this morning. I'd say it was less than 5%. Normality has returned.

Advertisement