Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to remove those stupid downlights and replace with a pendant light?

Options
  • 02-03-2022 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much to remove 8 of those stupid downlights (hate them) in the one room and replace with a normal pendant light in a bungalow?

Same switch, just remove the 8 of them (along with all the wires going to them in the attic) and stick a bit of plasterboard on top of the hole. And drop one pendant light on the same switch. I'll fill and paint it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Probably 100 at a guess

No need to remove the wiring unless it's handy ,just take down the downlights and blank off the supply at each light

Take a supply from nearest downlight to pendant prob an hour's work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thanks Kirk. Would rather get the wires removed from the attic just to make it tidier because want to insulate the attic. The wires and transformer and fittings for those downlights are a mess. Better to fill up the holes and put insulation down.

Can you PM me the number of someone who could do the job if you have a contact. Its in Swords.

Don't have any contacts up there

You can add a bit on for removing the wiring

A competent diyer could remove fittings and wiring if it's a simple daisy-chain setup and leave supply ready for extending to new pendant

Thanks Kirk. I night give it a go myself. Problem is there are so many wires in that attic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

hardest part of that job will be repairing the ceiling.

Just find the last light in the string (will only have one cable at it) and work backwards to the first light (will have a cable coming from the switch).

Move that cable (the switch wire) to its new location, might need to be joined in a junction box if not long enough .

• Advertisement

Thanks Coddle4dinner.

I'll give that a go. Repairing holes and painting I can do :)

Its the maze of wires im a bit bamboozled about.

Whoever invented those ceiling spots should be hung, drawn, and quartered :)

Was never a fan of the downlight

They've improved a lot with the acoustic thermal fire rating and led

They were more suited to commercial than domestic

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

You mention putting plasterboard over the hole and filling - thats a lot of filler and would likely crack as it shrinks/drys...

I'd get a holesaw as close as possible to the size of the holes and a scrap of plasterboard and cut out 8 blanks to fill the holes

Ignore the clickbait title/thumbnail, this video is a good guide to the repair:

Pay attention to when he rips the paper off the plasterboard at ~2:40

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I think they are low voltage as he mentions a transformer.

You will need to take the supply currently going into the transformer to the pendant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Everyone thinks electrical work is easy, and it often is. However, it is not always as straightforward as it may appear and can go badly wrong.

For the sake of the few bob I'd get a professional in to rewire the light. Once the existing wiring is isolated you could then remove that yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I was goin to just stick some plasterboard above the hole. and then put more underneath like you showed. The part above is just to give the lover part something to stick to.

Advertisement