Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The most serious allegation was that she was underage

I'd say the allegation of sexual assault was more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect you are only saying that to push on with your agenda, there is some chance of recovering your reputation if there is unproved suspicion of a sexual assault, there is none for pedophilia or sexual assault of a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

But she did clear up the inaccuracies and they are clearly listed in the letter. The fact that she said some of his family members were members of the Guards and the fact she was at the age of consent.

If I were Eoghan McDermott I would have insisted that all inaccuracies were clearly referred to and withdrawn. I think they were and that a lot of the stuff in the original post by the woman including the fact they had a sexual relationship was not withdrawn.

Look the issue for Eoghan here is that he back himself into the woke corner. He was signing from the airwaves that lads should be calling out sleazy behaviour toward women. He was part of the me too band wagon. Whilst the girl was at the legal age of consent it doesn't look good for him because of the narrative he created for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Clearly there are some things she is still maintaining happened which he disputes. Yet she hasn't gone to the gardai about them and is an admitted liar.

I don't know what my agenda is, but I would say that in my opinion the alleged act is worse than the age of the person it's being performed against.

I agree with your second part, the Aziz Ansari defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But if theres an allegation of sexual assault thats something that will be still under investigation by the authorities.

As far as im aware there isnt and never has been any investigation. I could be wrong on that point but it seems literally trial by social media with nothing behind it.

I cant stand the prick, think hes a creep but i hope he sues the arse off twitter, social media is a cesspit

To be honest, I’d never heard of this guy before the stuff started to appear about the allegations. He could be getting the woke pasting he deserves, but it is clear now that he did not deserved to be accused of assaulting a minor. Given the enormity of that lie, any other allegation by this girl must be questioned at best, or completely discounted as more lies.

What is he disputing? I would assume if that were the issue he would have pushed to have everything retracted.

For me he had sexual relations with a 17yo girl. I dont think he assaulted her. I dont think he did anything illegal. But thats weird imo. 17 and in school. He was 27. He hasnt disputed this for a reason.

She lied about being underage, why would you, or indeed the Gardai believe any other allegations? We are not talking about a child here, my understanding is that she is 27 now, if she wanted the allegations to be taken seriously, the minimum should have been that she tell the truth. That ship has now sailed.

Well he needs to come out and deny having a sexual realtionship with her then when she was 17 and he was 27 and she was in school. Thats why he will be cancelled.

• Advertisement

He could also deny her claims that he forced himself on her, that'd be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If he was thirty seven and she ten years younger, you'd still find people claiming it changes nothing.

Any details will be uses to condemn

Reality is this changes everything, the legal age exists and he did nothing legally wrong

The rest is just personal mortality

In your opinion kelt why was the letter with the retractions so mealy mouthed? Why would he accept that. I would certainly be asking for everything to be individually retracted. Specifically the sexual relationship with a 17yo school girl.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There is a big difference between a relationship between a 27 year old and a 37 year old. Both will have likely found their place in the world, are in established careers and have a full understanding of a healthy relationship.

However, a 17 year old boy or girl is still, by legal definition, a child. They are likely not to have finished school and wouldn’t have the nous to understand the way of the world. They can’t even vote or get served in a pub! For many they may never have even experienced a romantic relationship.

The 10 year age gap isn’t the issue, it’s the fact one of them is 17 and wouldn’t have anywhere near the maturity levels of a 27 year old person. 27 and 37 is a completely different story.

If your 17 year old daughter told you she was in a relationship with a 27 year old man (or vice versa), what would you think of that?

This is the thing that people seem to be missing.

It looks like she made all these false allegations on twitter on reddit and brought it no further, why? Because well we see now why yet people are still trying to split hairs here.

Hes a creep going after teenage girls 10 years his junior and shes a cretin who has done untold damage for genuine victims with her false allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭newhouse87

normally would agree with you on matters, but for any 27yerar old guy to message not to mind sleep with 17year old is messed up imo. Hes a very odd odd character.

Why should he deny it? He had a relationship with a person old enough to consent. It might be icky, but nothing illegal with that so why should he deny it? If RTE fired him for having sex with a person over the age of consent, they are the ones in trouble now.

Oh I agree, I'm firmly of the opinion that he is a sleazy prick who isn't to be trusted. I don't agree with any part of what he did. If what some are saying here is true and he has other accusations to answer, I'll be right back to vilifying the guy, but I still wouldn't wish a false accusation of statutory rape on anyone.

The letter has done it's job anyway, everyone focusing on the 16 part of the allegation "eoghan mcdermott orally raped me when I was 16" and not the other part.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

He is of course legally innocent as 17 is the age of consent however morally he is still a massive creep and ask yourselves this if a 27 year old rocked up to your gaf to take out your 17 year old daughter would you treat him as an innocent?

Post edited by Fattybojangles on

• Advertisement

I think youre missing the point here.

Its not a case of focusing on the 16 part.

If she has made an actual allegation of oral rape that would either be investigated or under investigation regardless of her age. Youre insintuating because he hasnt specifically denied this word for word that it must still be true.

If thats the case it would have been or would still be under investigation, it seems its not or never has been.

The thing is that part could actually be true, no one knows but because she has basically lied about well everything else the chances of it being proved are slim to none.

I'm not missing any point, the letter is very intentionally worded in a way that takes the attention away from what IMO is the most serious allegation, that's it.

I'm sure you know the stats on sexual assaults reported vs actual cases vs actual convictions so that's a cop out.

Again, if it was me accused of a sex crime against an underage girl, I'd be getting both parts retracted, not just the technically legal part.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There probably is far more to this story, but any and all of the original allegations have to be taken now at best as unreliable.

It seems it was a concerted effort to publish these allegations, so not just a spur of the moment I need to get this off my chest thing.

The allegations were serious in the extreme, why would concerned third parties not direct her to the guards but tell her go to reddit and twitter.

More questions than answers really.

He doesn’t need to do anymore to her though, she has admitted lying. There is nothing more for him to gain by suing her.

Regardless the guy is finished on tv and radio and that is correct right and proper.

The court verdict in this case will be interesting if indeed it even gets to court.

I imagine a focus will be on exactly when were Twitter informed of the posts and then what efforts Twitter made to take down the offending posts and in what timeframe did they do this?

Leaving this particular case aside for a minute, it’s generally the norm to go legally after the person who defamed you, not the hosting site itself.

And if you’re a “celebrity” be it A or Z, such claims will naturally attract considerable interest and response on a social media platform, a platform I hasten to add which also supports the livelihoods of such celebrities through providing them with “followers”

I don’t see this ending well except of course for the lawyers .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The twitter mob has now moved onto, well he is innocent but that doesn't matter because we want the law changed now so he is guilty

And if you don't change the law that doesn't matter because we have decided he is guilty and will ruin his career.

It would be crazy if it wasn't true.

I agree, like I said it was a very intentionally worded letter. And we should not assume she's either fully lying because she admits parts were inaccurate we also shouldn't believe he definitely did it because he doesn't explicitly deny it. (Although I find that very unusual)

The social media thing was just a symptom of the metoo/speaking out movements, and the reality is going to the gardai with an assault allegation against someone you openly admit to being in a relationship with 10 years previous wouldn't get past the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

a 27 year old with a 17 year old, innocent in terms of law perhaps, but not morally.

• Advertisement

But you are missing the point.

The most serious part of it is actually something that would investigated if there was an allegation actually made! Not twitter or reddit allegations or complaints, actual criminal allegations.

So why has there been NO investigation whatsoever?

Because she never actually went down the line of making an official complaint with the authorities. So why didnt she? Not because of the stats, why did she make all that stuff up?

Yeah i know the stats, and guess what shes done, made it a 100 times worse with her actions, thats the effin problem dont you see. He may actually have done the oral rape part but will now get away with it solely because of her actions in having a trial by social media.

What exactly has her approach accomplished that an official garda investigation wouldnt have done, nothing only make matter 100 times worse and given him the opportunity to clear his name because she couldnt help herself with her phone in hand.

My own gut feeling is that there is probably more to this story, in fact id probably say hes guilty of something untoward but its done now because she decided to concoct a whole back story that didnt exist, why because of social media, its a cesspit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement