Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Someone not getting to play a tennis match /drive a very fast car vs people being slaughtered in their home…..I have very little sympathy for these sports people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There was an excellent documentary about tv rain (Dozhd) on bbc4 last night on their fight to remain an independent news source, tango with Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Yeah this is something I cannot grasp. Does Russia seriously believe that other countries shouldn't be able to improve their defensive capabilities in case it erodes Russia's offensive abilities.

Yet it seems Russia has no problem in continuing to develop offensive capabilities to erode other countries defensive one.

They really are in their own little world.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

It's mostly Indians and Muslims. Strange bedfellows there. Muslims aren't too enamoured with the USA, so there's a knee jerk reaction to support Russia. Sad that the victims (Ukrainians) are cast aside in foreign policy arguments. There's no nuance these days. It is possible to look at each individual conflict on its own merit. No one can look at this war objectively and say Ukraine deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting point.

It should be noted that twitter waited until trump was no longer president before deleting him which is BS. Like if you're going to do it, means more to do it while still president.

If Putin got outed next week twitter would ban his account only then. Twitter must lick their finger and check the direction of wind each day haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Russia cannot afford to cut off the gas. At present they have no other market for it. It cannot be stored and the taps out of the gas reserves cannot be turned off.

By actually not taking Russian oil exports the West is making it even harder for Russia to turn off the gas pipeline ( even if it ever would consider it) as it's it will not I come stream now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

They need to be consistent.

Afaik Twitter permanently banned Trump from the platform in January 2021 during the final days of his term as President.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

If that happens, it's a humanitarian crisis and NATO has intervened on that basis before. Although still unlikely to do so this time, because of Russia being a nuclear power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And just how much of that support is from living sentient human beings do you think? You must surely realise that the Russian PR machine is entirely capable of generating counter propaganda by way of bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Humour helps me, feel free to skip past my post if you think I'm being irreverent.

Absolutely, our neutrality basically involves hiding behind the skirts of larger states and hoping no one notices us. I would have grave reservations about joining military alliances based on territorial aggression but none whatsoever about military alliances based on defence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I very much agree on the nuance part

It's mostly Indians and Muslims. Strange bedfellows there. Muslims aren't too enamoured with the USA, so there's a knee jerk reaction to support Russia. Sad that the victims (Ukrainians) are cast aside in foreign policy arguments.

Not a shock, because many Muslims would see it sad their victims are cast aside in foreign policy arguments over the last thirty years and no mass sanctions were implemented. A European 'Christian' nation is invaded by another European 'Christian' nation live on social media and it seems the world loses its shít in double quick time and across the board. That's not whataboutery, it's an explanation why some would indeed 'stand with Putin'. India's been sucking on the Soviet teat for a couple of generations, while balancing the West at the same time, so no great shock there. Anything instead of looking hard at themselves, their leaders and some aspects of their culture, social fabric and economics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Actually you are correct, in his final days.

I think the point still stands tho. I mean, they could have deleted his account at any time as trump was posting some garbage lol.

But they waited until a new president was voted and trump was literally on the way out. Same with putin... they'll on do it when he is outed. But late then.

The Strela would be excellent against attack helicopters. As we move more and more to trying to take cities, the Russian forces on the ground will need tanks and attack helicopters to back up ground forces. That why javelins and Strela will come into play.

Very hard to hit military jets at high altitude. Russia has not got the technology that the US has on using guided missiles from military planes.

While it may seem silly these are functional weapons if used in the right way

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Rumours going around that most of the Russian soldiers were told they were filming a movie called "Steppe Thunder", a kind of rip off of the Tropic Thunder movie.

NATO cannot directly intervene but the if the UN gets it's **** together, surely it can send in a peace enforcing coalition of troops. In order to prevent genocide. Of course the Russian veto must be overcome but that is not beyond the collective will of other states. And since we are privileged (cursed?) to be on the security council, maybe more responsibility lies on us than others..

A closed stock market has huge issues. It means private pensions funds run out if liquidity especially if they cannot access Foreign reserves. This is no check mate west.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, the office Russian President account on Twitter isn't really used for opinions or statements. Seems to be little more than a feed of press releases. Trump's accounts were being used for spreading obvious disinformation and inciting hatred.

It would probably be a different story if Putin's Twitter account was being used to make direct statements about what was happening in Ukraine.

The main reason Twitter waited until after the inauguration to delete Trump's account was legal ambiguity. There were questions about whether it could end up in legal hot water by deleting the data of the current sitting president; i.e. who does that data belong to, Twitter, the individual, or the US public? There are fairly strict laws about data retention and such when it comes to US presidents. This is what the buttery males lost their minds over, and why there have been so many legal battles about getting access to records from Trump's time in office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Yeah, gluten content is too low. Hence why we get it from Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And instead they've gone full retard for real...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

There's a slight difference between the lies most people are referring to in our own political context and the outright fabrications that Russia are known for.

The lies our politicians are generally attacked over are mostly just broken "promises" made in election manifestos and in the Oireachtas. I'm sure in some cases they make "promises" they know for a fact they can't keep but for the most part they're ideals or aspirations which they fully intend to keep.

It's kinda hard to imagine Lavrov or Putin weren't at the very least aware of the detailed invasion plans which had been signed off on as early as the 18th of January; so they were very likely lying in the truest sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Germany to increase weapons deliveries to Ukraine including 2700 Russian made shoulder fired anti aircraft missiles ,oh the irony .

They wouldn't allow their weapons to be sold to ukraine and now they are sending Russian weapons to Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

And speaking of information bubbles, there is no comparison between the state of play with media and social media in the West and places like Russia and China.

Nobody's aressting me or intimidating me if I go off on a mad one about Micheál Martin, but if you post the wrong thing on WeChat in China, you're being invited in for a chat by the cops. If you print the wrong thing in a paper in Russia, the person who penned it or the editor who approved it can end up in the Moskva river having tripped over his shoelaces.

There is no equivalenncy. To even suggest that the two realities are the same is fallacious.

NATO has intervened before without the endorsement of the UN security council, so this isn't a policy/precedent issue.

It's a practicality issue. This time they would be killing Russians, albeit on foreign soil, but Russians nevertheless and there are escalation risks in doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Time to make more potato bread then!

But I'd prefer to go without eggs completely if the only alternative is dried egg 🤮

• Advertisement

That's interesting, I never realised that. What do they do then with their surplus gas, vent it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement